Minimum Wage Bill on Hold?

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Thanks to Rush Limbaugh and his Morning Update

I am sure those on minimum wage will sleep well knowing House Dems will not "give" small business a tax credit. Yes, those evil capitalists will pay their fair share and the Dems will still feel their pain

Meanwhile, the "poor" will not get their raise, but will be confronted to know the Dems stopped another tax cut for the "rich"

It really saddens me to inform you minimum-wage earners waiting for your long overdue raise: it might take a while longer to pay you off. Apparently, Senate Democrats are intent on spoiling your lives. By a unanimous voice vote, the Senate Finance Committee passed a measure to provide tax cuts for small businesses, who would be hurt by raising the minimum wage.

House Democrats are angry. House leader Steny Hoyer said giving small businesses tax breaks would "complicate and delay" things: "Minimum-wage earners have already waited nine years and four months for a raise. Congress should not make them wait any longer."

New York Democrat Charlie Rangel, who heads the House Ways and Means Committee? He was even more outraged. "We're not going to accept a tax cut of $8 billion on our minimum wage bill," he snapped. "It's a Senate problem."

No -- it's not, Charlie. It's a Democrat problem. And it's a problem for the poor and the oppressed peoples living paycheck to paycheck -- eating dog food to save enough to afford prescription drugs and put gas in their economy cars. (Of course, women and minorities are hardest hit.)
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_011807/content/morning_update.member.html

Damn Democrats and their lack of compassion. How could they ignore the plight of the poor minimum wage workers like that? They've waited so long. Some are probably dieing already and it will be the Democrats that caused it this time by delaying this bill. :rolleyes:

I think its funny when democrats show their true colors. "We're all about the working man, except when it means lowering taxes."

Yeah but doesn't this give the Dems what they want and that would be dependence on the Government handout programs they are so well known for? This whole idea of increasing the minimum wage is foolish at best. Anyone who lives on minimum wage over the age of 25 and isn't like a full time student should be ashamed of themselves. What I'm saying is most positions do get above minimum wage. You pretty much have to have to make more than that unless you have a home completely paid off and no bills other than living expenses. I don't know very many in that class unless they are retired and receive S/S or some sort of retirement pension. So in my opinion I can agree on a much need raise for some kid 16 and it's there first job. I don't live in a depressed area and I could be wrong but I can say from personal experience that went I was making 3 grand a month I lost my job and got one making 7.50 a hour and after taxes I was clearing 250 a week. Ouch, but I did get other jobs until I got to a place I could live and breath without wondering if the ax was gonna fall. I have no college degree so it can be done.

In order to keep good across the board at a reasonable price we can’t afford raising the minimum rage. People will loose their jobs because of this plan and that is very factual and one of the basic rules in economics.

The whole minimum wage bill in the first place is more about liberal ideology and politics than helping anyone out. The ideology is to make yourself feel better about others hardships by pretending to do something and calling it day. The facts and the outcomes are NOT important. This makes liberals feel better right now about helping the poor schlubs making minimum wage. Tommorrow if those schlubs are out of job, thats someone elses fault. They did their part to get them more money.

Ted "Swimmer" Kennedy is about to have a stroke on the Senate floor becuase House Dems - gasp - passed tax cuts for businesses to cover the cost of the hike in the minumum wage

Teddy, I know it is hard for libs to understand this : IT IS NOT YOUR MONEY!

There is nothing wrong with people keeping their own money unless you are a money hugry lib who loves spending other peoples money

House Democrats are angry. House leader Steny Hoyer said giving small businesses tax breaks would "complicate and delay" things: "Minimum-wage earners have already waited nine years and four months for a raise. Congress should not make them wait any longer."

Wow... can you imagine actually having a job, getting paid minimum wage & not getting a raise for over nine years! The entire concept is just laughable.

Anyone who has an hourly paying job & doesn't get a pay raise for nine years has either "topped out" in the payscale or is a complete moron.:eusa_hand:

Anyone who has an hourly paying job & doesn't get a pay raise for nine years has either "topped out" in the payscale or is a complete moron.:eusa_hand:

You can't forget wage and determination from the Department of Labor. I assume you are refering someone on the job who is above the minimum wage pay scale? And yes I'd tend to agree on the complete moron idea.:cuckoo:
And if you are refering to a minimum wager, well they have no ambition.

Thanks to Rush Limbaugh and his Morning Update

I am sure those on minimum wage will sleep well knowing House Dems will not "give" small business a tax credit. Yes, those evil capitalists will pay their fair share and the Dems will still feel their pain

Meanwhile, the "poor" will not get their raise, but will be confronted to know the Dems stopped another tax cut for the "rich"

It really saddens me to inform you minimum-wage earners waiting for your long overdue raise: it might take a while longer to pay you off. Apparently, Senate Democrats are intent on spoiling your lives. By a unanimous voice vote, the Senate Finance Committee passed a measure to provide tax cuts for small businesses, who would be hurt by raising the minimum wage.

New York Democrat Charlie Rangel, who heads the House Ways and Means Committee? He was even more outraged. "We're not going to accept a tax cut of $8 billion on our minimum wage bill," he snapped. "It's a Senate problem."

No -- it's not, Charlie. It's a Democrat problem. And it's a problem for the poor and the oppressed peoples living paycheck to paycheck -- eating dog food to save enough to afford prescription drugs and put gas in their economy cars. (Of course, women and minorities are hardest hit.)
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_011807/content/morning_update.member.html

This just proves that collecting tax revenue is far more important to libs than "helping the poor."

The whole minimum wage issue is idiotic at face value. Of all of the American workforce, only about 1% makes minimum wage. Of that one percent, only 20% are in families that are even near the poverty level, much less below it. A mere 15% of minimum wage earners are still making minimum wage after 3 years, and those people are likely losers, because if you can't make the value of your labor higher than $5/hour, you're just not trying.

This also prepetuates the Democrat idea that the only labor is physical labor. Some people use their brains to increase the value of their labor, building circuitboards, microchips, and prototype airplanes, rather than screwing lugnuts on cars. However, the Democrats have prepetuated the idea that unless your work is 100% muscle, it's not really work. This is to impress upon their voters that those who make more than they do don't earn it. Then they claim to support the "working man," which simply translates to "somebody without the skills, intelligence, or ambition to rub brain cells together on the job." It's class warfare, and it's a sick method of keeping the poor poor and dependant on the government so they'll continue to vote Democrat. When the poor are convinced that only the government can help them, they'll never try to help themselves.

So libs are in power and they still have tamper tantrums.

Sen Ted Kennedy is having a stroke over the House version of the minimum wage bill. It has tax cuts for evil businesses so they can cover the increase of the minimum wage

Republicans pushed for the cuts and the moderate Dems in the House concured.

Senate Republicans can block anything from passing (you need 60 votes) so poos Ted now says this is unfair

Libs are never happy. Bipartisanship is when Dems get everything they want and Republicans shut up and sit down

Senate Moves Toward Approval of Higher Minimum Wage (Update1)

By William Roberts

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- The Senate moved toward approval of the first increase in the U.S. minimum wage in a decade, voting 88-8 to complete work on the bill after eight days of debate.

The measure includes $8.3 billion in tax breaks over 10 years for small businesses that lawmakers paid for in part by including a cap on deferred-compensation for top executives.

The bill, which must be reconciled with a measure passed Jan. 10 by the House of Representatives that didn't include the tax provisions, would raise the federal minimum wage, for the first time in 10 years, to $7.25 an hour from $5.15. Senate Republicans said they would support the wage increase only if tax cuts for small business were included.

The Senate ``correctly concluded that raising the minimum wage without providing relief for the small businesses that must pay for that increase is simply not an option,'' said Senator Michael Enzi, a Wyoming Republican. ``I hope this is an approach that our colleagues in the House will not derail.''

Majority Leader Senator Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, said the Senate was likely to approve the legislation by the end of the day tomorrow. The bill extends for one year the expense deductions and depreciation benefits for small businesses under President George W. Bush's tax cuts that were set to expire in 2008 and 2009.

Senator Ted Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat and chairman of the Senate Labor Committee, said the increase in the minimum wage for working-class Americans employed in restaurants, hotels and other establishments includes as many as 50,000 spouses of U.S. military personnel serving in Iraq.

`Do a Favor'

``We can do a favor for those individuals and treat them with respect and dignity by voting for an increase in the minimum wage. We ought to do that right now,'' Kennedy said.

Senate Republicans last week thwarted an effort by Democrats to pass the minimum-wage legislation without the tax breaks as Democrats fell six votes short of the 60 votes required to end debate and bring the measure to a vote.

``If we are creating some unemployment because of a decision we are making here, a political decision we are making, we ought to at least take that into consideration,'' said Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, the senior Republican on the Senate Finance Committee. ``This tax package is peanuts.'' Grassley said.

Holly Sklar, a spokeswoman for Business for Shared Prosperity, a Boston-based non-profit advocacy group for higher wages that is backed by the Unitarian Universalist Church, predicted a compromise version of the bill would be produced by talks between the House and Senate.

`It's going to have tax benefits in it when they pass final legislation,'' Sklar said. ``So, it's just a question of what kinds of amendments are tacked on, and how long it takes. It probably won't be the clean bill that the House passed.''

To contact the reporter on this story: William Roberts in Washington at [email protected] .

Last Updated: January 31, 2007 17:51 EST
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...ozDTo&refer=us

Forum List

Back