Minimum wage and video games

All this thread for those poor who own an Xbox. How can a poor family owning a video game make one upset? Their quality of life is zero compared to those who scorn them? It seems those who harbor greed the most are the loudest squeakers. I have mine so why should someone who is poor have anything? I have never collected a dime of welfare or unemployment NOR do I care if some poor family has an XBOX. What a completely warped and SICK, yes SICK thread.

ever thing their quality of life would be better if they weren't wasting entitlement money and time on video games?

Of course it would but who are we to sit in judgement is the point.

How many people working minimum wage jobs and supposedly needing government assistance have video game systems? Do you think it's a significant percentage?

Is it the job of government to make people comfortable in part-time jobs? How comfortable?

I'm happy if people in food service can afford video consoles. However, if they can afford new video game systems they don't need taxpayers to help them buy food, and stories about how bad off these workers are lose some punch.

In Wisconsin you can make so much on public assistance that it wouldn't be worth your while to take a job which paid less than $10 an hour.

Two sides to that story; on one hand, in some cases we give too much to people in welfare. On the other hand, in order to make it you need to earn at least $10 per hour to put a roof over your head and food on the table. I am of the firm belief that if you work hard and work full-time, you should at least have enough money to put a roof over your head and food on the table. That doesn't mean luxury living. The thing is that we have made it so that people working these very low paying jobs have to receive additional assistance so they don't starve. And who benefits? The employer of course. Taxpayers are subsidizing these employers.

We really need some balance in things. Of course, as soon as anyone even suggests raising the minimum wage a little bit, then the vast majority of cons start making idiotic statements suggesting that we should then just make the minimum wage $100 per hour. This is why it's almost impossible to even have a discussion about these things, because we have a large segment of people who are just so far out there in left field that it's not worth bothering with.

All this thread for those poor who own an Xbox. How can a poor family owning a video game make one upset? Their quality of life is zero compared to those who scorn them? It seems those who harbor greed the most are the loudest squeakers. I have mine so why should someone who is poor have anything? I have never collected a dime of welfare or unemployment NOR do I care if some poor family has an XBOX. What a completely warped and SICK, yes SICK thread.

ever thing their quality of life would be better if they weren't wasting entitlement money and time on video games?

So the government is just supposed to keep handing out taxpayer money without ever judging whether it's going to people who actually need it?

Who are we? We are the taxpayers.

Nothing at all wrong with people having X-boxes. Everything wrong with people getting taxpayers to pay for their X-boxes for them.

And it's pretty jerky for people to pretend that we're ogres for daring to suggest that government try to direct limited resources to people who need it.

So bizarre that some of you guys come in and say, "I've never collected anything from the government," as if we are judging you, and then you act like your story is in any way connected to that of able-bodied people who are soaking up taxpayer money and spending it on luxury items that many of us can't find room for in our budgets.

Those who try to make people feel like ogres for suggesting that government has some obligation to make sure that government funds are going to those who need them could tweak their argument a little and not sound like such moonbats.

Maybe you could argue that families with kids really do need video games. So the kids aren't out on the dangerous streets or so they could be doing activities which increase cognitive skills.

But to suggest that the people who fund the government should have no concern about the disposition of their tax dollars and whether the money is going to people who actually need it .... :eusa_hand:

Last edited:

So the government is just supposed to keep handing out taxpayer money without ever judging whether it's going to people who actually need it?

Nothing at all wrong with people having X-boxes. Everything wrong with people getting taxpayers to pay for their X-boxes for them.

And it's pretty jerky for people to pretend that we're ogres for daring to suggest that government try to direct limited resources to people who need it.

So bizarre that some of you guys come in and say, "I've never collected anything from the government," as if we are judging you, and then you act like your story is in any way connected to that of able-bodied people who are soaking up taxpayer money and spending it on luxury items that many of us can't find room for in our budgets.

The government already determines who gets the money. Its not a perfect system but direct the blame where it should be. Everyone. You are probably not without some degree of culpability in this. If you participate at all in American culture you help create the commercialized system we live in. You live in a society where you can make as much as you are worth. For that privilege you pay taxes to support the people that are at a level (determined by officials you voted into office) that requires additional support. Dont complain about that if you are not out teaching people to do better. Even if you are teaching people you still shouldn't complain. Its rude and ogre like.

The government already determines who gets the money. Its not a perfect system but direct the blame where it should be. Everyone. You are probably not without some degree of culpability in this. If you participate at all in American culture you help create the commercialized system we live in. You live in a society where you can make as much as you are worth. For that privilege you pay taxes to support the people that are at a level (determined by officials you voted into office) that requires additional support. Dont complain about that if you are not out teaching people to do better. Even if you are teaching people you still shouldn't complain. Its rude and ogre like.

All that is left to say is :eusa_hand:.

That is, that's all that is left to say to you. I have plenty to say to people who act like we ordinary Americans have a part in the political process. But to your lie down and shut up attitude, all that is left to say is :eusa_hand:.

That is, that's all that is left to say to you. I have plenty to say to people who act like we ordinary Americans have a part in the political process. But to your lie down and shut up attitude, all that is left to say is :eusa_hand:.

I think I gave you some marching orders in the form of being a person that uplifts instead of complaining. I never said lay down. Get up and teach people fiscal responsibility. Hold your elected officials accountable. Volunteer. if i was unwilling to do those things and instead just wanted to complain, I would probably stop speaking to someone like me as well.

Last edited:

Why not play video games? It's not like a minimum wage worker can afford tuition into college. One class costs more than the game system. I can certainly understand those who've given up. It's not like you can work your way up anymore. We just don't have enough middle class jobs left. The American Dream has been killed.

I think I gave you some marching orders in the form of being a person that uplifts instead of complaining. I never said lay down. Get up and teach people fiscal responsibility. Hold your elected officials accountable. Volunteer. if i was unwilling to do those things and instead just wanted to complain, I would probably stop speaking to someone like me as well.

I do an awful lot of volunteering, but I'm not going to stop complaining about what's happened in our country and our economy. Until everybody knows what's happened, nothing will change. That's one of my ways of holding my elected officials accountable. By letting people know what's happening. That the people looking for help aren't all drug addicts but people like you and I who've lost everything thanks to corporate greed and changes in laws since the 70's. I know so many people who are underemployed or unemployed and they've done everything they can to fix that. It's just not happening with our economy the way it is today. What's awful is I think things are going to get a lot worse, not better for a long time. In fact, I don't think we can fix this anymore by voting.

Why not play video games? It's not like a minimum wage worker can afford tuition into college. One class costs more than the game system. I can certainly understand those who've given up. It's not like you can work your way up anymore. We just don't have enough middle class jobs left. The American Dream has been killed.

Personally I think its a waste of time to play video games but thats just my thought. The library is pretty much free and a book can provide the same escape from reality while you are learning something. Besides you can get a student loan and go through a trade school and get a better job. You can work your way up. Even better is realizing that you don't have to be just a worker bee. Find a opportunity and open a business.

I do an awful lot of volunteering, but I'm not going to stop complaining about what's happened in our country and our economy. Until everybody knows what's happened, nothing will change. That's one of my ways of holding my elected officials accountable. By letting people know what's happening. That the people looking for help aren't all drug addicts but people like you and I who've lost everything thanks to corporate greed and changes in laws since the 70's. I know so many people who are underemployed or unemployed and they've done everything they can to fix that. It's just not happening with our economy the way it is today. What's awful is I think things are going to get a lot worse, not better for a long time. In fact, I don't think we can fix this anymore by voting.

Maybe my understanding of complaining is different. Historically complaining never has done anything. People changing their mindsets and taking action is what leads to significant change.

Personally I think its a waste of time to play video games but thats just my thought. The library is pretty much free and a book can provide the same escape from reality while you are learning something. Besides you can get a student loan and go through a trade school and get a better job. You can work your way up. Even better is realizing that you don't have to be just a worker bee. Find a opportunity and open a business.

I think people spending time on this message board are wasting their time just as much as people playing video games. Yes, I'm including me in there. The difference is, the video game is a one time expense, you have to pay for the internet every month, or at least I do. Yeah, the library is free. I've already been over why it's not feasible for everyone to open their own business. As for student loans, we are still paying on my son's worthless student loan and my niece is still paying on hers and there are thousands if not millions of other college students still paying on student loans that didn't get them the well paying jobs they were expecting. Yes, some of those workers crying for $15.00 an hour, are college graduates.

My son is even telling people today NOT to get loans for college as there is no guarantee for employment that will help you pay it off.

Maybe my understanding of complaining is different. Historically complaining never has done anything. People changing their mindsets and taking action is what leads to significant change.

How are people suppose to change their mindsets if they don't know what's happening? Do you think our media is telling people "Hey, those homeless people out there? The demographics are changing and a lot of them are just down on their luck these days just like in the great depression!" Nope, that'll never happen.

I think people spending time on this message board are wasting their time just as much as people playing video games. Yes, I'm including me in there. The difference is, the video game is a one time expense, you have to pay for the internet every month, or at least I do. Yeah, the library is free. I've already been over why it's not feasible for everyone to open their own business. As for student loans, we are still paying on my son's worthless student loan and my niece is still paying on hers and there are thousands if not millions of other college students still paying on student loans that didn't get them the well paying jobs they were expecting. Yes, some of those workers crying for $15.00 an hour, are college graduates.

My son is even telling people today NOT to get loans for college as there is no guarantee for employment that will help you pay it off.

At times these message boards are a waste of time. If i was struggling like I once was there would be no way I would be on here. The video game is doing nothing but providing an escape from reality. To put it harshly its allowing you to lay down and stop moving. It is feasible for everyone to open a business due to the way the tax laws are structured. It doesn't even have to be successful as long as you are working it. it will actually create more income for you but people refuse to believe that for some reason. You can even work and run your business having multiple incomes like I did and still do. If you choose to only work for someone else trade schools give you the best bang for the buck. Check the job market and expected pay before you sign up for the student loan.

How are people suppose to change their mindsets if they don't know what's happening? Do you think our media is telling people "Hey, those homeless people out there? The demographics are changing and a lot of them are just down on their luck these days just like in the great depression!" Nope, that'll never happen.

Just like we are doing now. I learned what to do from someone that learned from someone else. Some people will never change their mindset. You just have to be content that you at least told them. it took me 5 years to get this through my head because it required a change of mindset.

Tax payers should sit in judgment to a point, but on the other hand, how can any of us possibly know and comprehend the nuances of someone's everyday life? Of course we can't. I'm a hard worker, and I remember one day busting my ass at a job and getting done before the girl next to me. So I took a short break. Of course, as luck would have it, the manager walks by and sees me "standing there." Meanwhile, the slower girl who does less looks busy. Guess what the manager's perception is? I'm the lightweight, lazy, do-nothing, and the girl who came into work hungover is the hardworker. The same could potentially apply here. What if someone works a 12 hour shift and comes home and plays an online game? Is that bad because he or she may receive foodstamps?

How many people working minimum wage jobs and supposedly needing government assistance have video game systems? Do you think it's a significant percentage?

Is it the job of government to make people comfortable in part-time jobs? How comfortable?

I'm happy if people in food service can afford video consoles. However, if they can afford new video game systems they don't need taxpayers to help them buy food, and stories about how bad off these workers are lose some punch.

In Wisconsin you can make so much on public assistance that it wouldn't be worth your while to take a job which paid less than $10 an hour.

Two sides to that story; on one hand, in some cases we give too much to people in welfare. On the other hand, in order to make it you need to earn at least $10 per hour to put a roof over your head and food on the table. I am of the firm belief that if you work hard and work full-time, you should at least have enough money to put a roof over your head and food on the table. That doesn't mean luxury living. The thing is that we have made it so that people working these very low paying jobs have to receive additional assistance so they don't starve. And who benefits? The employer of course. Taxpayers are subsidizing these employers.

We really need some balance in things. Of course, as soon as anyone even suggests raising the minimum wage a little bit, then the vast majority of cons start making idiotic statements suggesting that we should then just make the minimum wage $100 per hour. This is why it's almost impossible to even have a discussion about these things, because we have a large segment of people who are just so far out there in left field that it's not worth bothering with.

And THAT needs to stop now. This is where the superrich are using the government to benefit corporate entities while keeping wages down or shipping jobs out of the country. I may well support their right to do those things, but they don't deserve a dime from the US government.

It's almost like you and I share a brain. Totally! Don't give up and despair. There are opportunities out there-even now-for those willing to seek them. Life isn't supposed to be easy.

Money with nothing backing its value. The fed just prints it by the barrel whenever they need more.
The private sector see's this printing of money or influx into the system, and they line up like wolves to a slaughter in order to get all that they can get of it. They (the private sector) raise the price of everything in order to get as much of it as they can, meanwhile we are killed in this situation by high prices and over taxation in so that they (the government) can just keep it all going. The private sector is culpable also wouldn't you say ? We the working class out here are the hammered ones.

Everyone is culpable. If people stopped letting commercials brainwash them then the prices would not go up. You have to exercise personal restraint which is sadly lacking in our society. Everything seems to be in excess. We are not taught the law that all farmers know. You plant (work), you tend (work more), then harvest (get paid for your efforts). Most of us were taught to go straight to harvest. Better yet we are taught we can just go to the store and buy it right away. I was a victim of it as well until someone sat me down and made me look at what I was doing.

tumblr_m6970jRcD21r82002.gif

Forum List

Back