Minimum age for gym attendence

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I went to the gym today after school, and they told me I couldn't work out there without a parent, cause I'm not 17. I'd gone there plenty of times by myself and no one said a word. They were polite about and let me work out today.

I don't go in there and raise hell, and I try to be courteous to teh other gym attendees who, between you and me, need to use the gym more than me.

So what do you think should be the minimum age to be at a gym alone?

My personal opinion? 18, unless you're scheduled to work with a personal trainer on specific days of the week, for a specific amount of time.

Semper Fi said:
I went to the gym today after school, and they told me I couldn't work out there without a parent, cause I'm not 17. I'd gone there plenty of times by myself and no one said a word. They were polite about and let me work out today.

I don't go in there and raise hell, and I try to be courteous to teh other gym attendees who, between you and me, need to use the gym more than me.

I'm sure you would act just fine, which is probably why they've let you in the way they have. But I have to agree with Shattered, too many of the 'kids' even when accompanied by parents, are not always that nice or 'on task'. I know that my health club has specific hours that various areas are 'available' to those 10-17.

Kathianne said:
I'm sure you would act just fine, which is probably why they've let you in the way they have. But I have to agree with Shattered, too many of the 'kids' even when accompanied by parents, are not always that nice or 'on task'. I know that my health club has specific hours that various areas are 'available' to those 10-17.

I've been disgusted by people at gyms of many ages. Spitting on the walls, sitting in the sauna without towels. Not sharing the machines. I quit a gym because I felt less healthy going there than staying at home.

I think 16 would be OK as long as people know how to behave.

Semper Fi said:

it is really up to the individual business. Likely, it has to do with insurance/liability issues because you are technically under age. Likely, this is because if the equipment is not used properly, it can cause injury or death, and because you are under 17/18, the liability for lawsuit is higher. You may know what you are doing on the equipment, but they don't know that in advance. If you have gotten by before, it likely is because they thought you were of age.

funny, we hand kids a little card and about 1.5-2 tons of metal at 16, yet working out to be healthy is somehow more dangerous.

I guess if it is the business' decision for the age restriction, then there is not much to say other than it is their right. Likely, it is more of an insurance-based decision, not so much just a general age restriction. Not much else you can do, other than maybe purchase some home gym equip.

Nuc said:
I've been disgusted by people at gyms of many ages. Spitting on the walls, sitting in the sauna without towels. Not sharing the machines. I quit a gym because I felt less healthy going there than staying at home.

It wouldn't bother me, I'm used to them. Luckily I've not had the kind of experience so far that you are referring to.

I figured that would happen. However, most 16 or 17 year olds with the discipline to keep up a work out regimin are usually pretty on-task. Then again, some are not.

Nuc said:

I don't know what you consider a "gym", but that doesn't sound like one to me.. That sounds like a Bally's, or Vic Tanny, which is nothing but a meat market.

The gyms I'm referring to have nothing but people that are 100% serious about their workouts. People with biceps large enough to crush my head with a small squeeze...People that are training to be professional wrestlers, etc...

Shattered said:
I don't know what you consider a "gym", but that doesn't sound like one to me.. That sounds like a Bally's, or Vic Tanny, which is nothing but a meat market.

The gyms I'm referring to have nothing but people that are 100% serious about their workouts. People with biceps large enough to crush my head with a small squeeze...People that are training to be professional wrestlers, etc...

The gym was in Brooklyn and the offenders were black. You do the math.

Shattered said:

Sounds like you go to something like Gold's Gym around here. Not moi, health club with swimming pools and such. I'm not into free weights, etc. Treadmills, stairs, and ab workout are plenty. :tng: I like sauna and steam, not too mention the whirl pool!

It is family orientated, connected with our local hospital, thus the 'kid' times. Not a bad thing, for someone like Semper.

Kathianne said:
Sounds like you go to something like Gold's Gym around here. Not moi, health club with swimming pools and such. I'm not into free weights, etc. Treadmills, stairs, and ab workout are plenty. :tng: I like sauna and steam, not too mention the whirl pool!

It is family orientated, connected with our local hospital, thus the 'kid' times. Not a bad thing, for someone like Semper.

Perhaps, but on the contrary, I spend most of my time in the free weight room. I like the raw testosterone involved in bench-pressing and curling and doing all sorts of other things that make your veins stick out like a heroin addict. Oh yeah, it's a military gym, so everyone there is either a young and ambitious soldier or a firefighter, both occupations I respect the hell out of.

Kathianne said:

If Gold's is basically nothing but a giant room with multiple varieties of protein, TVs (on mute), semi-loud music, mirrors, free weights, and a bunch of workout stations, with a couple treadmills thrown in for good measure, then yeah, that's what I'm talking about.. :)

Semper Fi said:
Please please, Shattered, stop flattering me!

Psst.. ONE of their biceps weights about 145lbs - not their whole body. :D

Semper Fi said:
Perhaps, but on the contrary, I spend most of my time in the free weight room. I like the raw testosterone involved in bench-pressing and curling and doing all sorts of other things that make your veins stick out like a heroin addict. Oh yeah, it's a military gym, so everyone there is either a young and ambitious soldier or a firefighter, both occupations I respect the hell out of.
Yep, that's where my sons go too! I don't really want to look like a heroin addict. :funnyface: I'll be happy to look like a mom, in shape.

Shattered said:
Psst.. ONE of their biceps weights about 145lbs - not their whole body. :D
How did you know how much I weigh?

And Kathianne, boys will be boys. Be glad that he's LOOKING like a heroin addict, not BEING one.

Semper Fi said:
How did you know how much I weigh?

And Kathianne, boys will be boys. Be glad that he's LOOKING like a heroin addict, not BEING one.

You threw that little tidbit of information into a rep you gave me when I threatened to come kick your ass for being mean to a dog that was acting like a dog. :D

Around the age of 16 is probably good. If people of that age disobey gym rules then they can be asked to have parental guidance. But really with guidelines of general gym behavior its good for young people to have the ablility to go to the gym or like surroundings, what a great way of maturing and becoming an adult.

Shattered said:
You threw that little tidbit of information into a rep you gave me when I threatened to come kick your ass for being mean to a dog that was acting like a dog. :D

Do you live in a cottage with 99 cats and a book containing personal information on everyone on USMB? Or do you just have a good memory?

Semper Fi said:
Do you live in a cottage with 99 cats and a book containing personal information on everyone on USMB? Or do you just have a good memory?

Yes, even at my advanced age, I can remember back a whopping 4 days ago.

<i> What's the point of hav... 03-16-2006 11:45 PM Semper Fi You couldn't kick my ass, 145 pounds of solid muscle (and 5% body fat) </i>

Ring any bells?

Forum List

Back