Minimum age for gym attendence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Semper Fi, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I went to the gym today after school, and they told me I couldn't work out there without a parent, cause I'm not 17. I'd gone there plenty of times by myself and no one said a word. They were polite about and let me work out today.

I don't go in there and raise hell, and I try to be courteous to teh other gym attendees who, between you and me, need to use the gym more than me.

So what do you think should be the minimum age to be at a gym alone?

2. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My personal opinion? 18, unless you're scheduled to work with a personal trainer on specific days of the week, for a specific amount of time.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm sure you would act just fine, which is probably why they've let you in the way they have. But I have to agree with Shattered, too many of the 'kids' even when accompanied by parents, are not always that nice or 'on task'. I know that my health club has specific hours that various areas are 'available' to those 10-17.

4. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I've been disgusted by people at gyms of many ages. Spitting on the walls, sitting in the sauna without towels. Not sharing the machines. I quit a gym because I felt less healthy going there than staying at home.

I think 16 would be OK as long as people know how to behave.

5. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    it is really up to the individual business. Likely, it has to do with insurance/liability issues because you are technically under age. Likely, this is because if the equipment is not used properly, it can cause injury or death, and because you are under 17/18, the liability for lawsuit is higher. You may know what you are doing on the equipment, but they don't know that in advance. If you have gotten by before, it likely is because they thought you were of age.

funny, we hand kids a little card and about 1.5-2 tons of metal at 16, yet working out to be healthy is somehow more dangerous.

I guess if it is the business' decision for the age restriction, then there is not much to say other than it is their right. Likely, it is more of an insurance-based decision, not so much just a general age restriction. Not much else you can do, other than maybe purchase some home gym equip.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It wouldn't bother me, I'm used to them. Luckily I've not had the kind of experience so far that you are referring to.

7. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I figured that would happen. However, most 16 or 17 year olds with the discipline to keep up a work out regimin are usually pretty on-task. Then again, some are not.

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what you consider a "gym", but that doesn't sound like one to me.. That sounds like a Bally's, or Vic Tanny, which is nothing but a meat market.

The gyms I'm referring to have nothing but people that are 100% serious about their workouts. People with biceps large enough to crush my head with a small squeeze...People that are training to be professional wrestlers, etc...

9. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The gym was in Brooklyn and the offenders were black. You do the math.

10. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Please please, Shattered, stop flattering me!