Minimal Wage. Raises. Inflation. Cost of living.

My "anonymous sources" indicate:

Low man on the totem pole means that the person is at the bottom in a hierarchical system. A totem pole is a statue of carved faces stacked one on top of the other. The face at the bottom is the last of the stack. The carved faces above it, would be higher up in rank or authority.

Well ... I can concede that point because I certainly cannot remember the name of my source.
I was talking to a native in Jasper, Canada when they chose to correct me ... I simply accepted their interpretation.

The way he explained it, was that not all totems even represented people ... Some are spirits and others events.
He then said that the base of the totem often represented the foundation of the community ... And that the pillars of the community often held that spot.

But then again ... I just took his word for it ... :dunno:

Edit:
A quick search indicated that neither is actually correct.
Where some tribes do it one way or another ... There is no standard vertical line of authority in a totem pole.
They mentioned that you can find the most important people depicted on the top, the bottom or in the middle.

:)

Last edited:
One flaw in "The Tide Raises All Boats" theory.
Where it is true the tide raises all boats ... You are still in the same, not a better boat ... :thup:

Isn't the condition of the boat a personal responsibility and not my responsibility? If the tide rises, but you refuse to repair the hole in your boat you're still going to sink to the bottom where you belong.

Minimal wage increases every few years. Some employees get a raise every year if they are lucky, but some raises are insulting. Busting your butt, never late, never call off, take extra shifts, and you prove to be most reliable, just to be taken advantage of because the manager or supervisor knows you will do whatever they ask with out hesitation, so instead of wasting their time asking another employee that might not be so good or fast as you, and might be defiant and slack off. So being taken advantage of for a whole year and coming up is raise time. You are sitting in the office for your review, and the have nothing but good things to say, you are their best employee and this is the best review you have ever got. Then they tell you that you got a 15 cent raise. That is insulting if I ever got a raise that low I would tell them to keep it. Some companies once you are maxed out there is nothing to look forward to. No matter how much longer you are with that company. If that happens companies should give bonuses every year to keep employees moral up.
The Government decides to raise minimal wage every so often, to make it look like they are doing something good for the people. And the people that are making minimal wage actually believe The government did something for them.
Well in reality if inflation and cost of living increases faster then the minimal wage increases, it really doesn't matter if minimal wage increased at all if inflation and cost of living increases more and higher then minimal wage.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Minimal Wage increases to- $8.00
Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

So if inflation and cost of living increases more often then minimal wage you are really not making more.

I think minimal wage and raises should increase at the same rate of inflation and cost of living. Also a minimal wage a company can pay their employees should be based on how much that company makes. If company A is making more then company B, company A minimal wage would be higher then company Bs minimal wage.

Do you not know the difference in "minimal" and "minimum"?

My "anonymous sources" indicate:

Low man on the totem pole means that the person is at the bottom in a hierarchical system. A totem pole is a statue of carved faces stacked one on top of the other. The face at the bottom is the last of the stack. The carved faces above it, would be higher up in rank or authority.

Well ... I can concede that point because I certainly cannot remember the name of my source.
I was talking to a native in Jasper, Canada when they chose to correct me ... I simply accepted their interpretation.

The way he explained it, was that not all totems even represented people ... Some are spirits and others events.
He then said that the base of the totem often represented the foundation of the community ... And that the pillars of the community often held that spot.

But then again ... I just took his word for it ... :dunno:

Edit:
A quick search indicated that neither is actually correct.
Where some tribes do it one way or another ... There is no standard vertical line of authority in a totem pole.
They mentioned that you can find the most important people depicted on the top, the bottom or in the middle.

:)

A rising tide has no effect on your boat if it has a hole in it above the waterline.

Minimal wage increases every few years. Some employees get a raise every year if they are lucky, but some raises are insulting. Busting your butt, never late, never call off, take extra shifts, and you prove to be most reliable, just to be taken advantage of because the manager or supervisor knows you will do whatever they ask with out hesitation, so instead of wasting their time asking another employee that might not be so good or fast as you, and might be defiant and slack off. So being taken advantage of for a whole year and coming up is raise time. You are sitting in the office for your review, and the have nothing but good things to say, you are their best employee and this is the best review you have ever got. Then they tell you that you got a 15 cent raise. That is insulting if I ever got a raise that low I would tell them to keep it. Some companies once you are maxed out there is nothing to look forward to. No matter how much longer you are with that company. If that happens companies should give bonuses every year to keep employees moral up.
The Government decides to raise minimal wage every so often, to make it look like they are doing something good for the people. And the people that are making minimal wage actually believe The government did something for them.
Well in reality if inflation and cost of living increases faster then the minimal wage increases, it really doesn't matter if minimal wage increased at all if inflation and cost of living increases more and higher then minimal wage.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

So if inflation and cost of living increases more often then minimal wage you are really not making more.

I think minimal wage and raises should increase at the same rate of inflation and cost of living. Also a minimal wage a company can pay their employees should be based on how much that company makes. If company A is making more then company B, company A minimal wage would be higher then company Bs minimal wage.

Which is better than no minimum wage and people being unable to pay for milk, gas, gas bill, electric and rent, I guess.
have you, or anyone you know, ever taken a job that didn't pay enough to cover bills?

If you do, how old were you/they?
You ever walk into mcdonalds and see people in their early 20s or older people that should be retired? while I was going to school I worked at mcdonalds overnight, class was 7-1 everyday m-f so I needed a job for 6 months that I wouldn't care to loose. What they expect from people making $7.25/hour is crazy. I made $14.00 bucks an hour, and for 8 ours I would load up 8-12 pieces of aluminum to be machined, which took 5-10 minutes to load 4 at a time and press a button. Each piece had to go through 2 different processes and the 1st one took 2 hours and second process took 1 hour 45 minutes. So I would just sit there most of time. Mcdonalds expect way to much. I worked with other people their and they were struggling, and taking home $478 every 2 weeks aint cutting it. Also they wouldn't allow any over time.
I just feel pay rates should increase with the cost of living and inflation, thus would make employees happier and a happier employee means, they better job they will do and the more reliable they will be.

Great plan until reality steps in and blows your idea to hell.

My wife works in a call center for the second largest cable provider in the country. They start their employees at over $15.00 an hour. Their problem? They hire young people who refuse to show up for work, are late if they do show up, and refuse to follow the processes set forth by the company. Then they are aghast when they get fired. Their turnover rate in the 18-30 year-old worker demographic is horrendous!

I believe we should raise the minimum wage to at least 10 bucks per hour. No more as I don't want to harm small business.

I'd insert a special percentage law to deal with the big corporations. Maybe half of all profit would need to go directly into the workers pay.
2. I'd remove the loop holes and force apple and ge to pay their goddamn taxes.

3. I'd rebuild the unions

Thank you for admitting your communist tendencies.

If you don’t like what you are getting paid then find another job. Businesses don’t exist to give you a job. You aren’t owed anything.
I personally haven't made a penny less then 40k except for 1 job right after highschool graduation. Last year I made 168k. I have friends who work for way less then they are worth. I know people with a masters degree, I forget in what, but had to take a factory job.
I just feel that companies should pay their employees based on that companies income. I mean if the ceos are bringing in 100k-200k or even more they can afford to pay more then $7.25.

If people are willing to work for $7.25 why should they pay more?
I see where you coming from, The business perspective, Why pay people more if they are willing to work and do this job for $7.25?

But doesn't mean that person will work to their full potential.
There has been studies on employees with higher morale, and how else can you raise employee morale? More money.
Their production will increase, the will do a better job, tardiness will decrease, and decreased negative talk to new hires.

I worked at a place temporarily, and the hired on employees that were responsible in training me on the job, would tell me nothing but negative things about that company. examples: "Why you choose to work here? I would look for another job before you get stuck here.", "This company doesn't care about their employees, they just want more and more, and don't notice the hard work we put in." "The company down the street pays more and offers better benefits." I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

Then they would train me the wrong way to cut corners to get it done faster. Missing details and not thoroughly completing the task.
So then wouldn't know the proper procedure when questioned.
There are reasons why the company has proper procedures for each individual job task.

Also the people who do work for $7.25 are most likely not offered health care benefits, vision or dental benefits, vacation days, personal paid days off, or 401k, or any other benefits that other companies may offer.
And now with it being mandatory to find alternative health care or be fined each year you go with out by our government, taking the fine amount out of the tax money you are getting back from them.

Someone told me that they were looking for health care plans out side of their company, and some cost as high as $260 a month, that would be $3120 a year. But lets say this person, making $7.25/hr needs health insurance because of a medical reason, otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to take care of their health problem. So they get lucky and find a plan for $100 bucks a month and that is only for medical problems, no vision or dental. SO $100 a month for a year is $1200 a year.

Say on day their tooth begins to hurt. They will miss work, and it wouldn't be a paid day off, so there is 8 hours gone right there, and 8 hours less out of a check for making $7.25 is a difference. Say they are required to wear glasses to drive. That could cost a nice chunk of change.
So lets say they have to dish out $500 bucks a year for dental and vision visits.

The yearly gross income of a person making $7.25/hr, considering they worked 40 hours each week out of the year, is roughly 15,080.
Rent for an apartment in my area could be anywhere from $400 a month to $1300 a month. Obviously someone making $7.25 would have an apartment that cost $1300 a month. The best bet would to get a 1 bedroom for $550-$650 a month with all utilities included. So they just have to pay the $550-$650 and not worry about any utility bills. That is considering that the person doesn't have children or pets.
So if the person making $7.25 and hour has rent lets say $600 a month no utilities to pay. That will be $7200 a year.

So there gross income is $15080 a year. For rent, health insurance, and dental and vision visits, they are up to $8900 a year in expenses already.

Now say they need a car to get to their job, due to bus routes being cut off of service and maybe no bus route near, and their job isn't on or near a bus route. So now they need a car. Cant afford to buy a reliable car straight out, due to the fact its hard to save any kind of money living pay check to pay check. So they get a car paying $150 bucks a month and since it was through their bank they need good car insurance. Considering they have a clean driving record they might only have to pay $100-$150 a month for car insurance. Lets say $125 a month for car insurance. So car payment and insurance will be together $3300 a year.

Now add $3300 on to $8900, and you get $12,200. While only making $15,080 a year, you might just make it.

So now what do you do about food and fuel for your car so you can get to that job?

What about clothes and shoes through out the year?

That person morale is going to be very, very low.

Then with cost of living and inflation going up and down all the time, that person may go with out at times. And they see there company making all this money, managers and owners driving new cars, ordering food, and living good. You are making them money to live good while you barely survive. It is just not right.

Companies should base their pay on the kind of money they make, not how easy the job is.

Companies that pay minimum wage should at least offer health insurance, vision and dental coverage, and vacation days off.

People who make minimum wage is pretty much the modern slave, just justified because they are being paid.

I see where you coming from, The business perspective, Why pay people more if they are willing to work and do this job for $7.25?

There has been studies on employees with higher morale, and how else can you raise employee morale? More money.
Their production will increase, the will do a better job, tardiness will decrease, and decreased negative talk to new hires.

I worked at a place temporarily, and the hired on employees that were responsible in training me on the job, would tell me nothing but negative things about that company. examples: "Why you choose to work here? I would look for another job before you get stuck here.", "This company doesn't care about their employees, they just want more and more, and don't notice the hard work we put in." "The company down the street pays more and offers better benefits." I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

Then they would train me the wrong way to cut corners to get it done faster. Missing details and not thoroughly completing the task.
There are reasons why the company has proper procedures for each individual job task.

Also the people who do work for $7.25 are most likely not offered health care benefits, vision or dental benefits, vacation days, personal paid days off, or 401k, or any other benefits that other companies may offer.
And now with it being mandatory to find alternative health care or be fined each year you go with out by our government, taking the fine amount out of the tax money you are getting back from them.

Someone told me that they were looking for health care plans out side of their company, and some cost as high as $260 a month, that would be $3120 a year. But lets say this person, making $7.25/hr needs health insurance because of a medical reason, otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to take care of their health problem. So they get lucky and find a plan for $100 bucks a month and that is only for medical problems, no vision or dental. SO $100 a month for a year is $1200 a year.

Say on day their tooth begins to hurt. They will miss work, and it wouldn't be a paid day off, so there is 8 hours gone right there, and 8 hours less out of a check for making $7.25 is a difference. Say they are required to wear glasses to drive. That could cost a nice chunk of change.
So lets say they have to dish out $500 bucks a year for dental and vision visits.

The yearly gross income of a person making $7.25/hr, considering they worked 40 hours each week out of the year, is roughly 15,080.
Rent for an apartment in my area could be anywhere from $400 a month to $1300 a month. Obviously someone making $7.25 would have an apartment that cost $1300 a month. The best bet would to get a 1 bedroom for $550-$650 a month with all utilities included. So they just have to pay the $550-$650 and not worry about any utility bills. That is considering that the person doesn't have children or pets.
So if the person making $7.25 and hour has rent lets say $600 a month no utilities to pay. That will be $7200 a year.

So there gross income is $15080 a year. For rent, health insurance, and dental and vision visits, they are up to $8900 a year in expenses already.

Now say they need a car to get to their job, due to bus routes being cut off of service and maybe no bus route near, and their job isn't on or near a bus route. So now they need a car. Cant afford to buy a reliable car straight out, due to the fact its hard to save any kind of money living pay check to pay check. So they get a car paying $150 bucks a month and since it was through their bank they need good car insurance. Considering they have a clean driving record they might only have to pay $100-$150 a month for car insurance. Lets say $125 a month for car insurance. So car payment and insurance will be together $3300 a year.

Now add $3300 on to $8900, and you get $12,200. While only making $15,080 a year, you might just make it.

So now what do you do about food and fuel for your car so you can get to that job?

Then with cost of living and inflation going up and down all the time, that person may go with out at times. And they see there company making all this money, managers and owners driving new cars, ordering food, and living good. You are making them money to live good while you barely survive. It is just not right.

Companies should base their pay on the kind of money they make, not how easy the job is.

Companies that pay minimum wage should at least offer health insurance, vision and dental coverage, and vacation days off.

People who make minimum wage is pretty much the modern slave, just justified because they are being paid.

You really put some thought into that ... And I am not just pooping on your ideas.

But ... With all the things you mentioned ... Morale, Healthcare, Fuel Costs, Clothing etc. ... I think their best bet/option would be to shoot a little higher than the minimum.
Minimum wage shouldn't be a career choice ... If a person has a minimum wage job for a year ... They aren't doing something right.

Of course in most organizations you get rewarded (a raise and promotion) when you improve production/process.
It doesn't necessarily make sense to reward someone before they do what they are supposed to do.

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

Which is better than no minimum wage and people being unable to pay for milk, gas, gas bill, electric and rent, I guess.
have you, or anyone you know, ever taken a job that didn't pay enough to cover bills?

If you do, how old were you/they?
You ever walk into mcdonalds and see people in their early 20s or older people that should be retired? while I was going to school I worked at mcdonalds overnight, class was 7-1 everyday m-f so I needed a job for 6 months that I wouldn't care to loose. What they expect from people making $7.25/hour is crazy. I made $14.00 bucks an hour, and for 8 ours I would load up 8-12 pieces of aluminum to be machined, which took 5-10 minutes to load 4 at a time and press a button. Each piece had to go through 2 different processes and the 1st one took 2 hours and second process took 1 hour 45 minutes. So I would just sit there most of time. Mcdonalds expect way to much. I worked with other people their and they were struggling, and taking home $478 every 2 weeks aint cutting it. Also they wouldn't allow any over time.
I just feel pay rates should increase with the cost of living and inflation, thus would make employees happier and a happier employee means, they better job they will do and the more reliable they will be.

Great plan until reality steps in and blows your idea to hell.

My wife works in a call center for the second largest cable provider in the country. They start their employees at over $15.00 an hour. Their problem? They hire young people who refuse to show up for work, are late if they do show up, and refuse to follow the processes set forth by the company. Then they are aghast when they get fired. Their turnover rate in the 18-30 year-old worker demographic is horrendous!
Because the problem with this and future generations they fill they are entitled. They fill as those they should make $30-$40 an hour starting off. They have no concept of, you have to start somewhere. They want immediate results. They feel as though they are always right, and that they cant go to work today because they have a headache, caused by all the alcohol they drank the night before.
They are becoming lazier and lazier. Their parents are babying them for far to long. They see one of their friends making good money so they think they should too. Its Now, Now, Now with them. No patience. Shit if I got the opportunity to get a job starting off at $15 an hour when I was 18- early 20s I would of worked everyday, would of took any overtime or extra shifts. That would of been good money. Shit it still is good money.

But "Reality" is, there is people working at a job that pays $7.25 an hour, for whatever the reason may be. They don't have any health coverage, no vacation time, no paid days off, or any other benefits. Yet that company expects them to show up on time every day, don't miss any days. They expect you to complete your job plus more. If they see you are a fast and accurate worker, Managers will take advantage and make you do more, then expect that all the time, while joe over there barely gets his job done everyday and been working there for years.

If a company pays minimal wage they should at least offer benefits.

To me a person working for $7.25 an hour with no benefits, they are the modern day slave.

You say then don't work there or take that job. Well "reality" is someone has to do the work, and for some that might be their only option

I just feel that companies should pay their employees based on that companies income.

So then if the company is going through a rough time and/or economy the employees should forego their wages for weeks or months until the company recovers or goes bankrupt, and the employee is left in the hole.

Sound fair?

If someone wants to share in the profits of a company, shouldn't they be willing to share in the risk too? If not why not?

Ex. minimal Wage- $7.25
Gallon of milk-$4.50
Gas- $3.00 a gallon
gas bill- $100
electric bill- $70
rent- $500

Gallon of milk- $5.25
Gas- $4.00 a gallon
gas bill- $150
electric- $100
rent- $550

Minimal Wage -$8.00
milk $5.50
gas- 4.25
gas bill- $160
electric- $110
rent- $570

Do you not know the difference in "minimal" and "minimum"?
Thanks for catching that

You really put some thought into that ... And I am not just pooping on your ideas.

But ... With all the things you mentioned ... Morale, Healthcare, Fuel Costs, Clothing etc. ... I think their best bet/option would be to shoot a little higher than the minimum.
Minimum wage shouldn't be a career choice ... If a person has a minimum wage job for a year ... They aren't doing something right.

Of course in most organizations you get rewarded (a raise and promotion) when you improve production/process.
It doesn't necessarily make sense to reward someone before they do what they are supposed to do.

That's what I'm trying to minimum wage should be higher then the cost of living and inflation. If cost of living and/or inflation increases so should the minimum wage.

I just feel that companies should pay their employees based on that companies income.

So then if the company is going through a rough time and/or economy the employees should forego their wages for weeks or months until the company recovers or goes bankrupt, and the employee is left in the hole.

Sound fair?

If someone wants to share in the profits of a company, shouldn't they be willing to share in the risk too? If not why not?
No not at all. Have a wage set In place that wouldn't hurt a company that may have a rough year, and more then just surviving pay check to pay check.
Usually a companies best performance quarters can make up for their bad quarters.
I had a job few years back and had a meeting every quarter to talk about last quarter, how well or bad it did, did it meet goals and expectations, what we did right, what we did wrong, and what we should keep doing, what we shouldn't, and what we need to do to keep on track.
Every quarter that company either met their expectations and goals, sometimes to the point where even if the net quarter or two didn't do well, it would still be a more profitable year then expected.

That's what I'm trying to minimum wage should be higher then the cost of living and inflation. If cost of living and/or inflation increases so should the minimum wage.

It's the minimum ... Not a living ... :dunno:

Wow I made some mistakes in that response!!
Correction.

That's what I'm trying to say, Minimum wage should be at a higher rate to accommodate The increase of, the cost of living and inflation. If the cost of living increases to the point that the minimum wage is no longer sufficient enough for a person that gets paid minimum wage to live comfortably

It's the minimum ... Not a living ... :dunno:

Wow I made some mistakes in that response!!
Correction.

That's what I'm trying to say, Minimum wage should be at a higher rate to accommodate The increase of, the cost of living and inflation. If the cost of living increases to the point that the minimum wage is no longer sufficient enough for a person that gets paid minimum wage to live comfortably
Then minimum wage should be increased to accommodate the difference in change

Correction.

Yeah ... I understood what you posted.

We just have a different view.
To me the minimum will never be sufficient (it's the minimum) ... And no one should be comfortable making minimum wage.

That's what I meant about minimum wage not being a sufficient career choice.
If you want to compare minimum wage to the cost of living ... I am like WTF is someone doing trying to make a living at the minimum wage?
Minimum wage is somewhere you may have to start ... But by all means don't stay there, or at that rate, long enough to be comfortable.

Correction.

Yeah ... I understood what you posted.

We just have a different view.
To me the minimum will never be sufficient (it's the minimum) ... And no one should be comfortable making minimum wage.

That's what I meant about minimum wage not being a sufficient career choice.
If you want to compare minimum wage to the cost of living ... I am like WTF is someone doing trying to make a living at the minimum wage?
Minimum wage is somewhere you may have to start ... But by all means don't stay there, or at that rate, long enough to be comfortable.

Exactly. But unfortunately some people may have no choice

Forum List

Back