CDZ Mini-Meltdown or not?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
There is some debate as to whether increased tax flight or over supply of overpriced housing in the north east or not enough skilled workers to replace houses destroyed by hurricanes in the southeast but there is a major pick up in the migration of skilled construction workers heading south. What is your expected outcome?

That I don't much care.

And skilled workers? To build houses?

Other than a few trades (plumbers, electricians, finished carpenters, etc.), most people who build average houses are not 'skilled'.
Putting up drywall, painting, framing, roofing? As long as you have one supervisor who knows what to do...you could hire almost anyone off of the street to do those 'trades'.

Last edited:
That I don't much care.

And skilled workers? To build houses?

Other than a few trades (plumbers, electricians, finished carpenters, etc.), most people who build average houses are not 'skilled'.
Putting up drywall, painting, framing, roofing? As long as you have one supervisor who knows what to do...you could hire almost anyone off of the street to do those 'trades'.
I would argue that you are incorrect. True; plumbers, electricians, and finish carpenters are MORE skilled. However, anyone who has hung drywall, painted, framed a building or roofed a house knows there still IS a certain amount of skill involved. Especially if you want flat walls, clean paint lines, a plumb house, and a sturdy, watertight roof. Aside from the quality of the finished product, an amatur will take far longer, which could be offset by a lower price. Also, at least in northern regions, there is a shortened season for construction, and therefore time is a very important commodity.

There is some debate as to whether increased tax flight or over supply of overpriced housing in the north east or not enough skilled workers to replace houses destroyed by hurricanes in the southeast but there is a major pick up in the migration of skilled construction workers heading south. What is your expected outcome?
I doubt it will have much of a lasting effect. If there becomes a shortage in the north, prices will go up, and more people will go into the trade. If there is a surplus in the south, the opposite will happen. I doubt people will move back north though, few people want to go north after spending a couple years in the south.

That said, I am an exception of sorts. I missed winter. I love the snow AND the cold. I don't mean the piddly crap like New York, i mean FEET of snow for MONTHS, and months below freezing. If the lakes don't freeze, I don't want to live there. Give me -40 over 90 any day. I can dress for -40. Point is, the weather is a factor for most people, one way or the other.

Continuation of long term trends. People leaving the Northeast for the South and West. Same in California, where taxpayers are leaving and being replaced by tax eaters. Silicon Valley is the only thing keeping the state afloat.

New Topics

Forum List

Back