Millions on East Coast could be in Danger!

This has to be one of the most painful periods of many people's lives. We were fortunate in Virginia where I live. But the poor folks north of where I live are suffering. My thoughts and prayers go out to all that have an will suffer from this super storm. The entire east coast, north of South Carolina, has been effected in some way.

We came through Sandy unscathed. I have no idea how we didn't lose power ... lights constantly flickering and dimming last night for hours. The wind was the worst part but the worst of that only lasted about 6 hours or so. No damage to the outside house/property either, as far as we can tell. Am very grateful this morning.

Glad to hear that many are doing ok. Looking at the links/pics that depotoo is posting ... holy cow! Lots and lots of damage from this monster storm.

So good to hear from you! Glad you came through ok. Do you know if Intense is from the area there as well?

Thanks, depo. Intense is in NY I believe. Dr. House, Avatar and Conservative are all in PA. Hope they are ok.

I see Intense posted last night. Glad to know he/she is ok. The others I don't know how to check as I haven't figured out how search works best here for looking up members. Does anyone know if they have posted or not?

Last edited:
REMNANTS OF SANDY ADVISORY NUMBER 36
NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD AL182012
0500 AM EDT WED OCT 31 2012

...REMNANTS OF SANDY CONTINUE TO WEAKEN OVER PENNSYLVANIA...

SUMMARY OF 0500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...NO DISCERNIBLE SURFACE CIRCULATION

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

GALE WARNINGS AND SMALL CRAFT ADVISORIES ARE IN EFFECT FOR
PORTIONS OF THE GREAT LAKES. SMALL CRAFT ADVISORIES ARE IN EFFECT
ALONG MUCH OF THE MID-ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST COASTS.

FLOOD AND COASTAL FLOOD WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND ADVISORIES ARE IN
EFFECT OVER PORTIONS OF THE MID-ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST STATES.

WINTER STORM WARNINGS AND WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES REMAIN IN
EFFECT FOR THE MOUNTAINS OF SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...WESTERN
MARYLAND...WEST VIRGINIA...EASTERN TENNESSEE...EASTERN
KENTUCKY...AND EXTREME WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA.

FOR INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING WATCHES AND
WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE AT http://WWW.WEATHER.GOV.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 0500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...THERE WAS NO DISCERNIBLE SURFACE
CIRCULATION FOR THE REMNANTS OF SANDY. SANDY HAS WEAKENED INTO A
SURFACE TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE OVER WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA.

HAZARDS
-------
WIND...STRONG WINDS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING OVER
PORTIONS OF THE NORTHEAST AND GREAT LAKES.

STORM SURGE...ELEVATED WATER LEVELS WILL CONTINUE TO SUBSIDE ALONG
THE COAST FROM NORTH CAROLINA TO MASSACHUSETTS DURING THE DAY. IN
PORTIONS OF CHESAPEAKE BAY...NORMALLY DRY AREAS NEAR THE COAST
COULD STILL BE FLOODED BY RISING WATERS AROUND THE TIME OF THE
NEXT HIGH TIDE. THE WATER COULD REACH THE FOLLOWING DEPTHS ABOVE
GROUND:

UPPER AND MIDDLE CHESAPEAKE BAY...1 TO 2 FEET.

FRESHWATER FLOOD WATERS ORIGINATING IN THE UPPER POTOMAC FROM THE
RAINS OF SANDY WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT THE TIDAL
POTOMAC...RESULTING IN SIGNIFICANT FLOODING THROUGH FRIDAY
AFTERNOON.

DUE TO STRONG AND PERSISTENT NORTHERLY WINDS...COASTAL FLOODING
ALONG PORTIONS OF THE GREAT LAKES IS POSSIBLE.

RAINFALL...ADDITIONAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO AN INCH ARE
EXPECTED IN THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES AND ALSO NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

SNOWFALL...ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE
EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS OF WEST VIRGINIA INTO FAR WESTERN
MARYLAND AND SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA.

SURF...DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE FROM FLORIDA
THROUGH NEW ENGLAND FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

I see Intense posted last night. Glad to know he/she is ok. The others I don't know how to check as I haven't figured out how search works best here for looking up members. Does anyone know if they have posted or not?

I don't know how to search for members, but I found an old post by Dr. House and looked at his posting history. His last post was at 4:53 Monday, before the peak of the storm... which probably means that he's one of the 8 million currently without power. Or, it could mean he's too d*mn busy helping to dig his neighbors out of the mess...

Thank you, Depotoo, for your informative posts, and thanks to everybody for the photos and descriptions, and for checking in to let us know conditions in your areas.

-- Paravani

I don't know how to search for members, but I found an old post by Dr. House and looked at his posting history. His last post was at 4:53 Monday, before the peak of the storm... which probably means that he's one of the 8 million currently without power. Or, it could mean he's too d*mn busy helping to dig his neighbors out of the mess...

Thank you, Depotoo, for your informative posts, and thanks to everybody for the photos and descriptions, and for checking in to let us know conditions in your areas.

-- Paravani

The area he lives in got nailed with power outages. A lot of those people may be without power for awhile. Hope he posts as soon as he can to let us know he's ok. I know DeSales University (near Quakertown, PA, in the Lehigh Valley) is closed until next Monday (11/5/12), no power.

New Topics

Forum List

Back