Millions on East Coast could be in Danger!

While we're not in the direct path (we're nw suburbs of philly as opposed to down the shore/coast line) I'm fully expecting to lose power for an extended period of time which will translate to the heater, freezer, treadmill being trashed plus all the food in the chest and fridge freezers (sales last week, stocked up) going bad. Gaaaaaaa.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Last year it was Irene but we kept power, just had the wind and rain. Poor Dio had just gotten snipped. Not a good time trying to get him to pee in all that. If the power stays on this time we'll be ok.

You need a generator. We bought one just to run the refrigerator.

While we're not in the direct path (we're nw suburbs of philly as opposed to down the shore/coast line) I'm fully expecting to lose power for an extended period of time which will translate to the heater, freezer, treadmill being trashed plus all the food in the chest and fridge freezers (sales last week, stocked up) going bad. Gaaaaaaa.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Last year it was Irene but we kept power, just had the wind and rain. Poor Dio had just gotten snipped. Not a good time trying to get him to pee in all that. If the power stays on this time we'll be ok.

good luck to you. To help keep your food for awhile, take milk cartons or rubbermaid containers fill with water and freeze, they will help keep things cold for alot longer, or if you can get dry ice, that is even better. If you use the milk cartons, you will also have some extra water for flushing, etc. when it melts.

Last edited:
one other tip- don't forget to have cash on hand since you won't be able to use atm's with the power out.

one other tip- don't forget to have cash on hand since you won't be able to use atm's with the power out.

Who needs power?

atm.jpg

Bulletin
hurricane sandy intermediate advisory number 24a
nws national hurricane center miami fl al182012
800 am edt sun oct 28 2012

...sandy expected to bring life-threatening storm surge flooding to
the mid-atlantic coast...including long island sound and new york
harbor...
...winds expected to be near hurricane force at landfall...

Summary of 800 am edt...1200 utc...information
----------------------------------------------
location...32.1n 73.1w
about 260 mi...420 km se of cape hatteras north carolina
about 395 mi...635 km e of new york city new york
maximum sustained winds...75 mph...120 km/h
present movement...ne or 40 degrees at 10 mph...17 km/h
minimum central pressure...951 mb...28.08 inches
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT3+shtml/281204.shtml

Sold out. Hubs is going to the Depot but not likely anything is left.

At this point I just want the sump pump to remain on.

map_specnews26_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Craaaaaaap.

Although he did see that the forecast had moved it up a bit in PA leaving us with more rain but less wind. Perhaps (fingers crossed) any outage in our neighborhood (power lines are under ground in here) will be short.

from another site, this is on A1A in Ft. Lauderdale this morning, still being affected by the surge and high tides-
20121028092806.jpg

Sold out. Hubs is going to the Depot but not likely anything is left.

At this point I just want the sump pump to remain on.

map_specnews26_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Craaaaaaap.

Although he did see that the forecast had moved it up a bit in PA leaving us with more rain but less wind. Perhaps (fingers crossed) any outage in our neighborhood (power lines are under ground in here) will be short.

call and ask them, if they are sold out when they will get some in. They usually know. Also try supply houses such as Grainger, I think they are nationwide. They usually know exactly to the hour when their shipment of them will be in, if it's like down in Florida.
I know Sams CLub here has also carried them in the past.

As of 7 pm, all transit in NYC will be shut down. No bus or train will move.

I have a friend in Rhode Island who has been busy battening down. I hope she will be okay.

NY Governor Cuomo says "If Bloomberg decides evacuations today, transit will be available but only today. National Guard will be activated. NY airports are not being closed at this time, but most transit in NYC will be"

NYC transit shutdown starting at 7 pm, and phasing through out the evening.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back