Millions Die Via Liberal Science

:blahblah: It's not 1972 any more... They have discovered more effective ways to eradicate the disease than just blanketing the place with DDT.

1972 - 2010

38 years

about 38 million people dead over some non-sense

While I'm glad the nets work and the vacc is on the way, that doesn't mean we can't help more faster by spraying ddt.

explain to me, again, how changes in u.s. law affected malaria in asia or africa?

i'll wait.

I didn't tell you a first time. Maybe b/c you didn't ask.

Ruckelshaus was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, to a distinguished family with a long history of practicing law in Indianapolis and serving in Republican Party politics.

William Ruckelshaus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wooops! :lmao:

William Doyle Ruckelshaus served as the first EPA Agency Administrator, from December 1970 to April 1973. During EPA's formative years, he concentrated on developing the new agency's organizational structure; enforcement actions against severely polluted cities and industrial polluters; setting health-based standards for air pollutants and standards for automobile emissions; requiring states to submit new air quality plans; and the banning of the general use of the pesticide DDT.

During President Reagan's term, White House Chief of Staff James Baker asked Ruckelshaus to return to EPA, following Anne Gorsuch Burford's tenure as Administrator. In his 1983-85 term as Administrator, Ruckelshaus worked to improve staff and public morale towards the agency, and advanced the process of risk-based decision-making for environmental risks subject to EPA regulation. He also oversaw removal of the pesticide ethylene dibromide (EDB) from U.S. agricultural use, reaffirmed EPA commitment to a federal-state partnership to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay, and helped EPA institute tighter controls on hazardous waste management.

William D. Ruckelshaus: First Term | EPA History | US EPA

So, we have to assume that rather than champion policies that would protect human and animal life on the planet by restricting hazardous emissions, the Conservative environmental policy is bring back DDT.

You know, I must thank you....it was one of your posts that provided the incipient idea for the OP....

Now you wrote "rather than champion policies that would protect human and animal life on the planet by restricting hazardous emissions..."

DId you miss this from the OP?

“…concerns about the impact of DDT (dichloro-diphenyl-trichloro-ethane) and its derivates on human health, in spite of the fact that DDT has been used widely for seven decades and no properly replicated and confirmed study has found any specific human health harm. Given the enormous and proven public health benefits arising from the use of DDT in disease control,… high levels of human exposure to DDT among those living in sprayed houses but presented no evidence of actual human harm arising from that exposure….Where DDT has been used in malaria control over many decades, populations have grown and health outcomes have improved.”
Environmental Health Perspectives: DDT and Malaria Prevention

To show my appreciation, I bolded stuff to help you out this time.
Your site constantly mentions no harmful effects to humans. Did it consider the damage DDT does to wildlife? If this constitutes your argument against environmental protection, I have to say: "What have I been thinking? A degree in Environmental Engineering and all this time if we had only kept the poisons available, we would be living in a post-industrial Eden!"

C'mon, Polly! Keep DDT and all's well with the world?

So, we have to assume that rather than champion policies that would protect human and animal life on the planet by restricting hazardous emissions, the Conservative environmental policy is bring back DDT.

You know, I must thank you....it was one of your posts that provided the incipient idea for the OP....

Now you wrote "rather than champion policies that would protect human and animal life on the planet by restricting hazardous emissions..."

“…concerns about the impact of DDT (dichloro-diphenyl-trichloro-ethane) and its derivates on human health, in spite of the fact that DDT has been used widely for seven decades and no properly replicated and confirmed study has found any specific human health harm. Given the enormous and proven public health benefits arising from the use of DDT in disease control,… high levels of human exposure to DDT among those living in sprayed houses but presented no evidence of actual human harm arising from that exposure….Where DDT has been used in malaria control over many decades, populations have grown and health outcomes have improved.”

Your site constantly mentions no harmful effects to humans. Did it consider the damage DDT does to wildlife? If this constitutes your argument against environmental protection, I have to say: "What have I been thinking? A degree in Environmental Engineering and all this time if we had only kept the poisons available, we would be living in a post-industrial Eden!"

"Annual worldwide deaths due to malaria: 1.1-2.7 million, mostly among children under five years of age."

You have no idea how I appreciate a post such as yours, which reveals how little you understand.
What good is your degree sans the moral understanding about the millions of deaths?

There were several major political movements of the last century that evolved from the same thinking....

...140 million humans died in those cases....

I can illustrate it for you, but I can't comprehend it for you.

"Annual worldwide deaths due to malaria: 1.1-2.7 million, mostly among children under five years of age."

You have no idea how I appreciate a post such as yours, which reveals how little you understand.
What good is your degree sans the moral understanding about the millions of deaths?

There were several major political movements of the last century that evolved from the same thinking....

...140 million humans died in those cases....

I can illustrate it for you, but I can't comprehend it for you.
I'm not unmindful of the death rate from Malaria. I don't believe that undoing environmental regulations is the way to prevent those deaths. Not unless you would be willing to forget about the deaths, illnesses and damage undoing environmental regulations would produce.

"The only way we can keep them from revolting is to shoot them en mass!"

"No, if you listen to their demands and reform your government, the revolt will stop."

"Shooting them always worked before!"

Restrict DDT and all the deaths from Malaria (in countries who are not under the jurisdiction of the USEPA) are on the hands of the American regulators who made this decision. And as they made this decision, ALL their regulations should now be eliminated and no further restrictions placed on industry or agriculture. That's your argument. It's a rather hollow one, isn't it?

Nearly 1 million deaths.

you'd have to be a cold muther fukker to turn away from that.

But I bet we could find money in reducing regulations.

To save lives, I'm certain we can get bi-partisan on that.

RBM Partnership marks a decade of progress on World Malaria Day 2011 and sets its sights on near zero deaths by 2015

Progress in the fight against the disease has been attributed to the leadership of malaria endemic countries, bold partnerships with the private sector, innovative academic thinking, and increased resources made available by The Global Fund to fight HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria, the World Bank, UNITAID and the US President's Malaria Initiative (PMI) as well as bi-laterals such as France and the UK.

High level political commitment has also spurred momentum with the appointment of UNSG Special Envoy for malaria and the creation of the African Leaders Malaria Alliance (ALMA).

In the last five years coverage with all malaria interventions has increased and 11 countries in Africa have slashed their malaria cases and deaths by more than 50%. Malaria has moved from the first cause of death among children under five in 2000 in sub-Saharan Africa to third cause of death in 2010. Implementation of new treatment guidelines released this week by the World Health Organization will also contribute to saving many more lives. WHO now recommends artesunate as first line treatment in the management of severe falciparum malaria in African children.

According to the World Health Organization's 2010 World Malaria Report nearly 289 million insecticide-treated nets were distributed in sub-Saharan Africa, between 2008 and 2010, enough to cover almost 76% of populations at risk - up from just 5% in 2000.

More modest advances were recorded across the other interventions with indoor residual spraying programmes protecting 73 million people in 2009 in sub-Saharan Africa - up from 13 million in 2005.

More than 33 million Rapid Diagnostic Tests were distributed to malaria endemic countries in 2009, up from 200,000 in 2005 allowing clearer detection of malaria cases and therefore appropriate treatment; and more than 229 million artemisinin-based combination treatments (ACTs) were procured worldwide in 2010, up from only 2.1 million ACTs in 2003.

Leading economists describe malaria control as a premier investment case that offers guaranteed long-term yields in terms of development. It contributes decisively to the achievement of six of the eight MDGS - and has the biggest impact on child survival. If universal coverage with nets is achieved and sustained 3 million lives could be saved over the next 4 years.

RBM Partnership marks a decade of progress on World Malaria Day 2011 and sets its sights on near zero deaths by 2015

So nets with bug spray on them are doing wonders!!

I kinda hafta laugh at this.

Was it the Army or Marines that started hosing down thier tents with bug spray back in WW2?

And this idea is just now getting to Africa? :lol: Well, better late than never.

Nice of you to focus on only one piece of info posted... :lol:

According to the World Health Organization's 2010 World Malaria Report nearly 289 million insecticide-treated nets were distributed in sub-Saharan Africa, between 2008 and 2010, enough to cover almost 76% of populations at risk - up from just 5% in 2000.

What a stupid thread. In countries were Malaria is prevalent, DDT is still used. It is not used in the US and Malaria is not a problem here.

I have no idea why this thread exists.

And, let me remind all, who was and is behind the ban on DDT?
Environmentalists, liberals.

As usual, the Left both knows what is best, and is wrong with metromonic regularity.

:rolleyes:

Ruckelshaus was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, to a distinguished family with a long history of practicing law in Indianapolis and serving in Republican Party politics.

William Doyle Ruckelshaus served as the first EPA Agency Administrator, from December 1970 to April 1973. During EPA's formative years, he concentrated on developing the new agency's organizational structure; enforcement actions against severely polluted cities and industrial polluters; setting health-based standards for air pollutants and standards for automobile emissions; requiring states to submit new air quality plans; and the banning of the general use of the pesticide DDT.

During President Reagan's term, White House Chief of Staff James Baker asked Ruckelshaus to return to EPA, following Anne Gorsuch Burford's tenure as Administrator. In his 1983-85 term as Administrator, Ruckelshaus worked to improve staff and public morale towards the agency, and advanced the process of risk-based decision-making for environmental risks subject to EPA regulation. He also oversaw removal of the pesticide ethylene dibromide (EDB) from U.S. agricultural use, reaffirmed EPA commitment to a federal-state partnership to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay, and helped EPA institute tighter controls on hazardous waste management.

4. “…concerns about the impact of DDT (dichloro-diphenyl-trichloro-ethane) and its derivates on human health, in spite of the fact that DDT has been used widely for seven decades and no properly replicated and confirmed study has found any specific human health harm. Given the enormous and proven public health benefits arising from the use of DDT in disease control,… high levels of human exposure to DDT among those living in sprayed houses but presented no evidence of actual human harm arising from that exposure….Where DDT has been used in malaria control over many decades, populations have grown and health outcomes have improved.” Environmental Health Perspectives: DDT and Malaria Prevention

Article Not Found

Sorry, the article that you've requested cannot be found; please check the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) and try again.

If you continute to experience problems with the site, please provide a detailed account of the circumstances on our feedback form.

Thank you for your patience.

I believe you will find same quote here:

Africa Fighting Malaria Article| DDT and Malaria Prevention

I'll take the word of the clinical trials by the American Academy of Pediatrics over some schmuck with an agenda making random assertions...

What a stupid thread. In countries were Malaria is prevalent, DDT is still used. It is not used in the US and Malaria is not a problem here.

There are Conservatives who think that environmental protection is a bad thing as it restricts the rights of producers to dump all that stuff out back somewhere.

This Malaria/DDT ruse is supposed to give them intellectual cover.

There are Conservatives who think that environmental protection is a bad thing as it restricts the rights of producers to dump all that stuff out back somewhere.

That makes more sense than what I was thinking PC meant. I thought she wanted us to manufacture and spray DDT in the US because it would cure Malaria in third world countries.

Somehow.

If only Alexander Pope were alive today, to see the truth of his famous "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...."

He'd be so pleased to see your 'little knowledge.'

1. It wasn't until 2006 that the World Health Organization realized how important DDT was....

2. Even so, they OK's same for indoor use only.

"The World Health Organization reversed a 30-year-old policy yesterday and declared its support for indoor use of the pesticide DDT to control mosquitoes in regions where malaria is a major health problem.

The Geneva-based WHO, which provides advice to many developing countries, believes the benefits of the long-acting pesticide far outweigh any health or environmental risk it may pose.

"Indoor residual spraying with DDT..."
WHO Urges Use of DDT in Africa - washingtonpost.com

3. "What a stupid thread."
Well, that explains your presence, doesn't it!

4. From 2009: "In 2001, more than 100 countries signed the Stockholm Convention, a United Nations treaty which sought to eliminate use of 12 persistent, toxic compounds, including DDT. Under the pact, use of the pesticide is allowed only for controlling malaria.

Since then, nine nations—Ethiopia, South Africa, India, Mauritius, Myanmar, Yemen, Uganda, Mozambique and Swaziland—notified the treaty's secretariat that they are using DDT. Five others—Zimbabwe, North Korea, Eritrea, Gambia, Namibia and Zambia--also reportedly are using it, and six others, including China, have reserved the right to begin using it, according to a January Stockholm Convention report."
Should DDT Be Used to Combat Malaria?: Scientific American

5. 2010: "The AU member states are looking at the possibility of using Dichlorodiphenyl-Trichloroacetic Acid (DDT) safely to eliminate malaria mosquitoes which has continued to claim thousands of lives every year." Africa Fighting Malaria News | AU mulls use of DDT to fight malaria

6. To review, and, of course, to convince you that there is no reason why this thread should exist, the point is that environmentalism is almost entirely a Left-wing prejudice,but has largely reversed itself on the question of DDT.

Those of you still supporting the banning make my point.

Just as Left-wing movements cost the lives of untold millions in the last century, the Malaria-DDT debate is a documented case of millions of deaths in the third world.

Intelligent folks will, I am certain, learn from this.

It's World Malaria day, Rav... Time to re-write history, obfuscate facts and use dead Africans in an attempt to score cheap political points! :thup:

1. Does the fib 'Time to re-write history,' mean you are giving up??

Oh, and you were doing so well...the best of your ilk!

Now, if I were 're-writing history', you certainly could find some untruths, or errors... but you didn't did you?
So, I guess I'm simply recording history, eh?

2. "...score cheap political points."

So I scored 'em?
Well, that is honest of you.

3. Isn't it sad that that admission comes from you at the cost of millions of lives.

You know, when you put "Conservatives" and "intellectual" together in a post, I get that 'Chris Matthews thrill up my leg!'

Much obliged!

:blahblah: You just keep blabbering your delusions and I'll keep posting facts.

Health Hazards
DDT Study Finds New Hazard
Babies born in the U.S. to mothers emigrating from Mexico show mental and physical impairment, a UC Berkeley survey finds.
July 05, 2006|Marla Cone | Times Staff Writer

Babies and toddlers of California farm workers exposed to the insecticide DDT have neurological effects that are severe enough in some cases to slow their mental and physical development, according to research by UC Berkeley scientists published today.

The federally funded research involving the children of women who recently emigrated from Mexico to the Salinas Valley is the first in the United States to indicate that the pesticide harms human brain development.

"This suggests that ... DDT has effects that no one even thought to test for back when it was in use," said Dr. Walter Rogan, an epidemiologist with the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. He was not involved in the new study, published in the journal Pediatrics.

Because DDT was banned more than 30 years ago in the United States and most developed countries, the findings have particular relevance for the ongoing, controversial use in Africa to combat malaria.

DDT Study Finds New Hazard - Los Angeles Times

And, let me remind all, who was and is behind the ban on DDT?
Environmentalists, liberals.

As usual, the Left both knows what is best, and is wrong with metromonic regularity.

:rolleyes:

What? No reply to these facts......... :eusa_whistle:

THIS is why I never bother with Political Chic. She proved looong ago how well she can ignore facts and fabricate delusions and personal insults...

I didn't post in this thread to defend liberals, I post here to defend the facts...

THIS is why I never bother with Political Chic. She proved looong ago how well she can ignore facts and fabricate delusions and personal insults...

I didn't post in this thread to defend liberals, I post here to defend the facts...
:lol:

She knows no facts. She probably doesn't know that overspraying DDT for agriculture actually increases the incidences of malaria among the population.

All she really cares about is bashing liberals and I honestly don't recall her ever bashing them for a valid reason.

Forum List

Back