Millionaires to Congress: Raise our taxes, please!

Feb 2, 2011
Think the GOP will listen?

"Patriotic Millionaires": Raise our taxes, please! - War Room - Salon.com

Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength, a group of dozens of the wealthiest Americans that formed last year during the fight over whether to extend the Bush tax cuts, is now jumping into the budget battle just as President Obama is expected to call for an end to the Bush cuts on the rich.

"For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you increase taxes on incomes over $1,000,000," the group writes in a new letter to Obama, Harry Reid, and John Boehner. "We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned incomes of $1,000,000 per year or more."

Last year, Obama signed a bill to extend the Bush tax cuts after originally proposing that the two highest tax rates return to 36% and 39.6%, up from the Bush tax cut levels of 33% and 35%.

One of the signatories of the new letter, film and television producer Linda Gottlieb, explained her participation to me this morning: "For me to be sitting and hoarding my money is insane," said Gottlieb, whose producer credits include Dirty Dancing and who now teaches at NYU's Tisch school. "We all give to charity, but that's not the same as creating a more equitable society."

Gottlieb said she has been upset by the experience of her grandchildren, who attend a New York City public school where arts education has been cut and parents have had to organize an auction to try to fill the gaps. She added that raising taxes on the wealthiest people would be an important way of reducing the deficit.

"For rich people to moan and groan -- nobody likes to pay increased taxes -- but it's not going to change your life in any important way," she said. "What it can do is help your country."

The millionaires who comprise the group are in the process of reaching out to more of their wealthy peers and may take a trip to Washington at some point down the road, according to Erica Payne of the Agenda Project, the New York-based progressive group that is behind Patriotic Millionaires.

Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength, a group of dozens of the wealthiest Americans that formed last year during the fight over whether to extend the Bush tax cuts, is now jumping into the budget battle just as President Obama is expected to call for an end to the Bush cuts on the rich.

"For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you increase taxes on incomes over $1,000,000," the group writes in a new letter to Obama, Harry Reid, and John Boehner. "We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned incomes of $1,000,000 per year or more."

Last year, Obama signed a bill to extend the Bush tax cuts after originally proposing that the two highest tax rates return to 36% and 39.6%, up from the Bush tax cut levels of 33% and 35%.

One of the signatories of the new letter, film and television producer Linda Gottlieb, explained her participation to me this morning: "For me to be sitting and hoarding my money is insane," said Gottlieb, whose producer credits include Dirty Dancing and who now teaches at NYU's Tisch school. "We all give to charity, but that's not the same as creating a more equitable society."

Gottlieb said she has been upset by the experience of her grandchildren, who attend a New York City public school where arts education has been cut and parents have had to organize an auction to try to fill the gaps. She added that raising taxes on the wealthiest people would be an important way of reducing the deficit.

"For rich people to moan and groan -- nobody likes to pay increased taxes -- but it's not going to change your life in any important way," she said. "What it can do is help your country."

The millionaires who comprise the group are in the process of reaching out to more of their wealthy peers and may take a trip to Washington at some point down the road, according to Erica Payne of the Agenda Project, the New York-based progressive group that is behind Patriotic Millionaires.

Considering that at most this can raise maybe $100 billion (how many taxpayers are there over $1M income?) this is nothing but a show. That would leave the other $1.2 TRILLION we are short this year.

These sadly misguided people are perfectly free to make voluntary donations to the Federal Treasury. They don't need to wait for the tax rates to be changed for others to do this.

Considering that at most this can raise maybe $100 billion (how many taxpayers are there over $1M income?) this is nothing but a show. That would leave the other $1.2 TRILLION we are short this year.

Progressives would rather ensure Misery For All in a suicidal attempt at Fairness instead of protecting Individual Liberty to chart one's course in life.

Oh yaaaa. Kooky con talking points. Just what I expected.

How are they kooky? How much money could this theoretically raise? Isnt the whole concept of millionaires wanting to pay more taxes a talking point as well?

These people wouldnt even have to pay more off the top if they wanted to, they could just forgo several of their deductions volentarily.

Why are they sad and misguided? They want our country to protect its fiscal health and for what they consider important government functions to be funded properly. If that is sad and misguided in your world, then I'd hate to see what you consider happy and wise.

Why are they sad and misguided? They want our country to protect its fiscal health and for what they consider important government functions to be funded properly. If that is sad and misguided in your world, then I'd hate to see what you consider happy and wise.

hint:
they are either liars or residents from the home for the criminally insane millionaires.

(wanna buy a bridge?)

hint:
they are either liars or residents from the home for the criminally insane millionaires.

(wanna buy a bridge?)

:lol::lol::lol:How are they liars? They're lying when they say they want the gov't to tax them more? That might be news to them. You might want to tell them before they lie some more about their own beliefs.

How are they kooky? How much money could this theoretically raise? Isnt the whole concept of millionaires wanting to pay more taxes a talking point as well?

It wouldn't raise much at all. Even if there were 100 of these people willing to pay a higher rate, all it would do is provide additional incentive for the SANE millionaires in the United States to hide or protect more of their monies from the IRS every year. For every $1 more it brought in from those 100 millionaires, they'd probably lose $3-5 (at the very least) from the other millionaires.

A SMART millionaire would open the "XYZ endowment for NYC Public School Arts Education", fund it with that money they want to send to the Government, and then WRITE IT OFF ON THEIR TAXES.

Last edited:

Not only is it sad and misguided, it's insane and contrary to every bit of good investing sense that has ever existed. Businesses and individuals don't make money by throwing away the money they already have. That exactly what paying more money to the Government is... throwing it away, flushing it down the toilet. That makes me wonder about the business accumen of anyone who would WILLINGLY VOLUNTEER to pay a higher tax rate.

hint:

(wanna buy a bridge?)

:lol::lol::lol:How are they liars? They're lying when they say they want the gov't to tax them more? That might be news to them. You might want to tell them before they lie some more about their own beliefs.

Just wondering why they feel the need to have 'government' tax them more when they can send in any amount they wish as extra. If they are so all fired up to give the government more then they should just go ahead an do it.

It's symbolic gesture. And seeing as how the right love their symbols, I would think they would eagerly embrace it.

You need the government to ORDER you to pay in more in taxes?? Hell, you can VOLUNTARILY put in as much as you want!! Why are they not doing that now?? Why?? Because it is not about their principles.. it is forcing others to as well, against the concepts of equal treatment under government (unequal taxation rates and the fact that ~48% pay no income taxes at all) and freedom...

This is the millionaire leftist version of Helen Lovejoy and hysterics for the sake of hysterics

Just wondering why they feel the need to have 'government' tax them more when they can send in any amount they wish as extra. If they are so all fired up to give the government more then they should just go ahead an do it.

They are advocating for a fiscal policy for the country. Why are you trying to make their recommendations about them individually?

It's symbolic gesture. And seeing as how the right love their symbols, I would think they would eagerly embrace it.

Just a bit confused about that don't you think...Its the left as you just stated practicing what the left always practices Symbolism over Substance. These supposed 'Rich' have no more intention of paying more in taxes then the left has plans for balancing the budget.

I saw an article speaking to this a few weeks ago. There is a mechanism via the IRS form/site by which folks can send in contributions strictly for the deficit......know how much has been given so far this year?:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back