Millenials Not Joining the Military

So, those who do enlist and stick it out come from military families - turning the military into an inbred, mercenary force?
It's already a separate culture isn't it? Lives on its own bases, goes to its own schools, served by its own health service, supplied by its own retailers. Or do I have it wrong?

No. The military does not go to its own schools except in a very few instances.

So, those who do enlist and stick it out come from military families - turning the military into an inbred, mercenary force?
It's already a separate culture isn't it? Lives on its own bases, goes to its own schools, served by its own health service, supplied by its own retailers. Or do I have it wrong?

No. You have it right. Most military installations today are villages in their own. And, when they do go off base, they patronage businesses within a mile or so of the gates.

I live right outside an Army post. I used to teach in one of the very few schools operated by the DODEA in the US. I live 11 miles from the post. There are 3 out of the 4 neighbors I have are Army or just recently left the Army. In fact, they rarely patronize anything on post except when they are working.

My daughter lives on her Army post. She rarely leaves the post when services are available on post, which unfortunately are few.

Your statement is true and false, depending on the circumstances.

Not really. There are only "Base Schools" on a very few bases anymore. And most of those are only in grades K-6, or overseas.

It has it's own health care system, because it is put in place to support those that are in. And the majority of those who provide such services are also in the military. So not sure where you are going with that, should they close the base clinics and hospitals and then use civilian facilities?

And the Exchange system is a shadow of what it was even 20 years ago. In general, most exchanges today are more like mini-malls, with a food court (available to all), a few rented shops (once again available to all), and the exchange itself (which few use other than for basic things). Today it is generally cheaper to shop out in town than it is to use the exchange.

As for "Separate culture", that is because with few exceptions, everybody on the base shares the common fact that they are not from that area. They group together, because they are all outsiders. Case in point, my first duty station was about 40 miles from where I lived. And in my time off, I did not hang around the base and do things with those I served with, I simply went home. And hung out with my friends from High School.

But that was only during my first 4 years. For the next 16 years I was always stationed hundreds or thousands of miles away, so I was much more active with the activities on base and those I served with.

Not really. There are only "Base Schools" on a very few bases anymore. And most of those are only in grades K-6, or overseas.

It has it's own health care system, because it is put in place to support those that are in. And the majority of those who provide such services are also in the military. So not sure where you are going with that, should they close the base clinics and hospitals and then use civilian facilities?

And the Exchange system is a shadow of what it was even 20 years ago. In general, most exchanges today are more like mini-malls, with a food court (available to all), a few rented shops (once again available to all), and the exchange itself (which few use other than for basic things). Today it is generally cheaper to shop out in town than it is to use the exchange.

As for "Separate culture", that is because with few exceptions, everybody on the base shares the common fact that they are not from that area. They group together, because they are all outsiders. Case in point, my first duty station was about 40 miles from where I lived. And in my time off, I did not hang around the base and do things with those I served with, I simply went home. And hung out with my friends from High School.

But that was only during my first 4 years. For the next 16 years I was always stationed hundreds or thousands of miles away, so I was much more active with the activities on base and those I served with.

There are two middle schools and high schools at Fort Knox KY and Fort Campbell, KY.

I taught at Fort Knox.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Admiral Rockwell Tory]
There are two middle schools and high schools at Fort Knox KY and Fort Campbell, KY.

I taught at Fort Knox.[/QUOTE]

I know they are still out there, but nowhere near as many as there were even 20 years ago. Over the decades a great many have been shut down, and the students instead go to public schools in the community.

Back when I was in Junior High (about 40 years ago), I remember that one of the schools I competed against in wrestling was from the Junior High School on Mountain Home Air Force Base. But sometimes in the past 40 years that school has closed.

And for at least 5 years there are some that want to see the entire system in the US shut down or seriously cut back. I myself would hate to see that happen, it is recognized as one of the best school systems in the nation.

New Topics

Forum List

Back