Milk Consumption in the United States

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Got (Good) Milk? Ask The Dairy Evangelist : NPR

An Ohio dairyman is on a crusade to put cows back on pastures and bring the flavor back to milk.

Warren Taylor owns and runs Snowville Creamery, and he's trying to make milk the way it was made 40 years ago, when, he insists, it tasted better.

A lean, hyperactive 58-year-old dairy engineer, Taylor aspires to be "the Che Guevara of the American dairy industry." He bounds from place to place, pouring forth his philosophy of how he plans to transform the industry, starting here at his milk plant in Pomeroy, Ohio.

First, most of his milk is sold 48 hours out of the cow, and he delivers no farther than an eight-hour distance from the dairy.

Second, his milk is not homogenized; the cream rises to the top, and you have to shake it up before pouring.

Third, his milk is pasteurized at a lower temperature — 165 degrees. The industry standard is 175 degrees, which Taylor believes diminishes taste. Today, the popular "ultrahigh temperature" or "ultrapasteurized" milk is sterilized at 280 degrees, a process that trades flavor for long-distance marketing and long shelf life.

In fact, the U.S. Justice Department is currently investigating whether the influence of the huge co-op Dairy Farmers of America and the huge processor Dean Foods violates antitrust laws.

Discuss.

Got (Good) Milk? Ask The Dairy Evangelist : NPR

An Ohio dairyman is on a crusade to put cows back on pastures and bring the flavor back to milk.

Warren Taylor owns and runs Snowville Creamery, and he's trying to make milk the way it was made 40 years ago, when, he insists, it tasted better.

A lean, hyperactive 58-year-old dairy engineer, Taylor aspires to be "the Che Guevara of the American dairy industry." He bounds from place to place, pouring forth his philosophy of how he plans to transform the industry, starting here at his milk plant in Pomeroy, Ohio.

First, most of his milk is sold 48 hours out of the cow, and he delivers no farther than an eight-hour distance from the dairy.

Second, his milk is not homogenized; the cream rises to the top, and you have to shake it up before pouring.

Third, his milk is pasteurized at a lower temperature — 165 degrees. The industry standard is 175 degrees, which Taylor believes diminishes taste. Today, the popular "ultrahigh temperature" or "ultrapasteurized" milk is sterilized at 280 degrees, a process that trades flavor for long-distance marketing and long shelf life.

In fact, the U.S. Justice Department is currently investigating whether the influence of the huge co-op Dairy Farmers of America and the huge processor Dean Foods violates antitrust laws.

Discuss.

good for him.....i was just telling my son about the milkman and bottles....and how i traded him exxtra newspapers from my route for a bottle of milk.....it does tatse different .....

good for him.....i was just telling my son about the milkman and bottles....and how i traded him exxtra newspapers from my route for a bottle of milk.....it does tatse different .....

There was a short time in the past where I was not able to drink milk. Though I did have two glasses this morning. This is definitely not the same sort of milk from when my father was my age.

I can only imagine the stuff they put in it now. I think I read it once and was like :eek:.

Forum List

Back