Militray service and politics

Sallow, you are reporting history, but your implied conclusion, that Romney was somehow wrong or inferior, does not follow. You have written a non sequitur.

How exactly?

Romney is what? An American. He supported the war. Then didn't fight in it.

Those are directly related.

Former President George W. Bush was rated and flew this aircraft.

The first revised aircraft, designated YF-102A flew on 20 December 1954, 118 days after the redesign started, exceeding Mach 1 the next day.[12] The revised design demonstrated a speed of Mach 1.22 and a ceiling of 53,000 ft (16,154 m), which was sufficient for the Air Force to allow production of the F-102.[13]
The production F-102A had the Hughes MG-3 fire control system, later upgraded in service to the MG-10. It had a three-segment internal weapons bay under the fuselage for air-to-air missiles. Initial armament was three pairs of GAR-1/2/3/4 (Later re-designated as AIM-4) Falcon missiles, which included both infrared and semi-active radar homing variants. The doors of the two forward bays each had tubes for 12 FFAR rockets (for a total of 24) with initially 2 in (5.1 cm) being fitted and later 2.75 in (70 mm) replacing them. The F-102 was later upgraded to allow the carriage of up to two GAR-11/AIM-26 Nuclear Falcon missiles in the center bay.[14] The larger size of this weapon required redesigned center bay doors with no rocket tubes. Plans were considered to fit the MB-1 Genie nuclear rocket to the design, but although a Genie was test fired from a YF-102A in May 1956, it was never adopted

Convair F-102 Delta Dagger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not an aircraft that your average person just straps-in and decides because of his fathers political connections he is going to just take up for a joy ride. It takes time, dedication, and long hours of traning to master the skills needed in order to fly an aircract like that. Keep in mind that aircraft like that are not the same as they are today, and the on-board computers on that aircarft was the man in the seat. There was no fly-by-wire, it was all stick and rudder, and in order to keep a bird like that in the air one would need to have some skills to do so. While it's true that President Bush did not serve in any deployments to Vietnam, so to it's true there are many men and women who do the hard job of supporting and defending this nation that do not deploy overseas, and as such their service to this nation is no less important. As for Sen. Kerry, I have had the chance like I indicated in my last post to look at the Senators records and it indicates a dedicated Naval Officer who's awards were given well withing Naval regs. Still further, people need to consider that Sen Kerry requested to be assigned to the Brownwater Navy.

Presidents or candidates that do not serve in the Military in my humble opinion should not be disqualified from serving or running for office. In fact, just to make that commitment says the person loves their nation enough to make a difference. In other words there are many ways to serve this great nation. If a President does have that Military experience I see this as a big plus because it serves to give that President a good idea of what it means to commit young men and women in defense of this nation.

Bush was a good pilot..there's no doubt on that. And good pilots were sorely needed in Vietnam.

John Kerry is a war hero.

The right trashed his service for cheap political gain.

John Kerry disgraced himself, the USN, and his country. If he ever did anything for reasons other than personal gain it is not evident from his service record. He should have been tried for treason and perjury.

Is current or past military service (of ones self or ones family) the only indicator of patriotism?

Should lack of military service (personally) disqualify someone from holding public office?

Is it fair to criticize Romney for seeking the Presidency when neither he nor his children ever served in the military, and yet NOT criticize Obama, who never served in the military?

Discuss.

NO, but it would seem to indicate something............

So what is that something??

He, his dad nor his own boys have served...... The mitt advocated others serve while he played out deferments............... :redface::eusa_whistle:

What does advocating others do what you yourself are unwilling to do?????????? Asking others to sacrifice what you yourself are unwilling to do???

IMHO electing another pampered prince like him is the last thing the country needs..........

he was of age during a time when we drafted.

He used his religion to keep from fighting while many poor kids died for their country under this draft.

You bet it matters

Clinton was a draft dodger as well but I dont see you harping on him do you:cuckoo:

Clinton registered for the draft, eventually. And he was against the Vietnam war.

Romney was for the Vietnam war. He protested in Pro-War rallies.

Then went to France.

Clinton pretended to and promised to join the ROTC and then ran to England..........
Why can't you admit the truth?

Is current or past military service (of ones self or ones family) the only indicator of patriotism?

Should lack of military service (personally) disqualify someone from holding public office?

Is it fair to criticize Romney for seeking the Presidency when neither he nor his children ever served in the military, and yet NOT criticize Obama, who never served in the military?

Discuss.

Romney's Mormon Patriotism: 5 Privileged Sons and No Volunteers?

Is this still the correct age list for the 5 wonder boys: Mitt and Ann Romney have 5 children, all sons: Tagg (37 years old), Matt (36), Josh (32), Ben (29), and Craig (26)?

Is it a religious thing or a class thing that keeps all 5 Romney sons out of harms way, while reaping most of the benefits of being an American?

repeat thread?

:eusa_hand:

Clinton was a draft dodger as well but I dont see you harping on him do you:cuckoo:

Clinton registered for the draft, eventually. And he was against the Vietnam war.

Then went to France.

Clinton pretended to and promised to join the ROTC and then ran to England..........
and Bush tried and succeeded in avoiding combat.

nothing illegal there

Fucking asshole.

You are clueless.

Clueless about what?

Romney went to France.

And he supported this country's invasion of Vietnam..and the draft.

Mitt Romney, 19, demonstrated in favour of Vietnam War draft | Mail Online
Sign of the Times – A Photo Shows Romney Backing Vietnam Draft - ABC News

does military service, or the lack thereof, disqualify someone from public office?

Romney's Mormon Patriotism: 5 Privileged Sons and No Volunteers?

Is this still the correct age list for the 5 wonder boys: Mitt and Ann Romney have 5 children, all sons: Tagg (37 years old), Matt (36), Josh (32), Ben (29), and Craig (26)?

Is it a religious thing or a class thing that keeps all 5 Romney sons out of harms way, while reaping most of the benefits of being an American?

repeat thread ::: dupe

Then went to France.

A letter from the Former President to his Draft Board while at OxFord, might help add some insight to people on the former President.

When the draft came, despite political convictions, I was having a hard time facing the prospect of fighting a war I had been fighting against, and that is why I contacted you. ROTC was the one way left in which I could possibly, but not positively, avoid both Vietnam and resistance. Going on with my education, even coming back to England, played no part in my decision to join ROTC. I am back here, and would have been at Arkansas Law School, because there is nothing else I can do. In fact, I would like to have been able to take a year out perhaps to teach in a small college or work on some community action project and in the process to decide whether to attend law school or graduate school and how to be putting what I have learned to use. But the particulars of my personal life are not nearly as important to me as the principles involved....

Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton's Draft Letter | The Clinton Years | FRONTLINE | PBS

Sallow, you are reporting history, but your implied conclusion, that Romney was somehow wrong or inferior, does not follow. You have written a non sequitur.

How exactly?

Romney is what? An American. He supported the war. Then didn't fight in it.

Those are directly related.

So what? Your logic that somehow Romney is deficient as a candidate makes no logical sense whatsoever.

I have no problem with a family not having military volunteers, and no problem with the individuals who do not join up in the service. A lot of my family is military, but I am not and never will be.

The problem I have is with people who are quick to offer up the sons and daughters of other Americans without offering up their own. It's the poor who fight our wars.

But but but BUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Kerry doesn't count he has never been and never will be the President.

2. Obama never served though he claims he thought about it.

3. Bush served as a fighter pilot. In a unit that did in fact send some pilots to Nam.

4. Romney never served.........

5. Clinton is a self admitted draft dodger.

Those are the facts the rest of this is just BS, and none of it means a damned thing anyway........

All of you points were answered and dismissed.

Romney is going to win, going to kick O's butt, and you get to live with it.

A long way to go, and O is and will continue to be slipping ground.

You are going to get to live with a Mormon president. That is rich.

Three more jobs reports like this one, and O can kiss his and your butts good bye.

Forum List

Back