Militray service and politics

Military service or lack thereof should never disqualify any American from seeking or holding public office. If a person has the desire to run for office and to commit to what I am sure is a long and taxing struggle on themselves on their family to do so, then that in and of itself at least in my humble opinion shows a love of country that many do not have and has my respect even though I may not agree with them politically. I would say however, that having served in the Military a person running for President would be better qualified to understand what it is to send young people in harms way and what that means not only to them, but also to their families and loved ones. It's one thing to feel for those young people in that situtation but it's a whole other thing to have lived it. In so doing that would in my humble opinion give a President pause to make the right decision when it comes to commit young Americans to battle or long deployments in defense of this great nation and be less prone to take the gung ho, shoot first and ask questions later approach that so many without that experience might tend to have.

Last edited:
See how much they respect heroic military service?

I think the attacks on Kerry's service were shameful. There was no way that man should have been President, but he did volunteer to serve and put himself in harm's way repeatedly. That aspect of his life should be honored and respected. The attacks on Kerry's service betray more about the character of his assassins than him.

The way Kerry behaved after his service is fair game.

yup

My Dad who died a year ago was a WWII war hero. Before he died he said that if he knew what was going to happen to this country he would not have felt it was worth fighting for.

I vote on his behalf.

Sorry your dad has passed.

I am glad there are still heros who are willing to protect this country

and the way Kerry acted after his service was completely honorable.

Veitnam was a clusterfuck

My father was career military, served from WWI, at age 17 until Vietnam in his 40's. I respect those who SERVE.

My thanks to your father.

But I am sure your father would agree that those thats SERVE include those that served during peacetime.

YES, he did. Though he once said "...it seems life is just one damn war after another". He was against the first Gulf War also.

the wars do seem to blend together...although even during m"peacetime" there always seem to be a military operation going on somewhere.

I have never really voiced my opinion of what wars are warranted and what wars are not warranted. I do not believe I EVER have enough informtation to make that determination...and from a security standpoint, I dont believe the Pentagon nor the WH feeds the media everything.

I respect those that oppose war from an ideological standpoint....alothough I do not necessarily agree with them.....but I just dont think any of us know if one is warranted or not.

Especially with politicians who vote yes for a war and then when the war beciomes unpopular (as they all do), claim they were lied to with no proof...all done for political expediency...

It is just too cloudy for any of us to make that determination.

Having never volunteered for the military (or drafted) should not be an issue whatsoever as it pertains to politics.

However, one who criticizes the military AT ANY TIME during their adult life should be considered inelligble to be Commander in Chief...

Those brave men and women need a CiC that believes in them......they need to know they are serving under one who respects them....it is for their own safety.

So....using your rules, anyone who criticized My Lai would be disqualified. When are you planning on getting that written into Article II?

There was a time when Military service was practically mandatory for all 18 year old men. In my generation you planned on serving at least 2 years in the Military. The attitude is different today. There is no draft and fewer and fewer citizens who take up a political career have served in the Military. It's not fair to attack any politician or his family for choosing not to serve in the Military today but if a politician uses his Military service as a campaign tool it's fair game for scrutiny. John Kerry's entire campaign was based on his Medals but investigation revealed they were self recommended and the awards were questionable. George Bush never made an issue of his service in the Air National Guard but the left made it an issue and ultimately they used forged documents to try to undermine his Service and influence the election.

No kids in school still talk about joining the Military after high school, me and several of my friends talked about it all the way up until our senio year. Come the day after graduation day, I sat in my recruiters office alone.:doubt: Most of my friends wanted to take the year off and goof around or just got jobs somewhere, the Military is more fun to talk about as a teenager than it is to actually go join as a man.

John Kerry is a war hero.

The right trashed his service for cheap political gain.

John Kerry was not a war hero he was and still is a fucking liar who descrated any honor he had when he pitched his ribbons.

John Kerry was not a war hero he was and still is a fucking liar who descrated any honor he had when he pitched his ribbons.

He could pitch his medals all he wanted. And he ended up being right about Viet Nam....maybe that's the worst crime of all.

Military service is one of the greatest ways to better our country.

I want to add though....

I'd love to see a former cop run. Those guys are allergic to bullshit, and thus, would probably make bad politicians. But, they are literally protecting our asses day to day right here at home. Yet, rarely get any attention in politics.

I want to add though....

I'd love to see a former cop run. Those guys are allergic to bullshit, and thus, would probably make bad politicians. But, they are literally protecting our asses day to day right here at home. Yet, rarely get any attention in politics.

Hmm good point, any former Fire Fighters ever make a run in Politics?

Heinlein suggested in "Starship Troopers" more than 50 years ago that only veterans should be allowed to vote. Of couse, Heinlein was the originator of the family who fucks together is stuck together. He was a big incest guy.

Liberals don't respect the military until they can use it as a political tool.

They paraded John F'n Kerry out front and center like some MoH person.

They trashed Bush Jr flying jets in the Texas Air National Guard. I wonder if it's "ok" now to fly jets in the Air National Guard like my friend that is currently over in Afghanistan.

Military service doesn't come up around Obamination, but liberals like to play up the Commander in Chief bit as some slap in the face of military personnel. They think it's funny he grew up against the military but now is in charge of it.

Jimmy Carter's short stint in the Navy didn't make him a competent CINC, so there's really not modern era example of military service helping the Democraps.

I want to add though....

I think I remember one former president was a FF for a while, can remember who, but seems like I heard that, an 1800's era one maybe.

Cops/Firemen aren't connected to wealth enough to make a political run at the national level. Sheriff Joe would get my vote though. I'd vote for NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly also.

But, the more a person interacts with the general public on a day to day basis, seeing the darkest side of people within our borders, the less tolerant they become of bullshit. Thus, they'd make terrible politicians. I suspect thats also why we've seen so few true military heroes make the leap. Being a politician lately requires so much connection to wealth and such a love for being full of shit. Military folks, cops and firemen dont have much of any of that.

I want to add though....

I think I remember one former president was a FF for a while, can remember who, but seems like I heard that, an 1800's era one maybe.

Cops/Firemen aren't connected to wealth enough to make a political run at the national level. Sheriff Joe would get my vote though. I'd vote for NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly also.

But, the more a person interacts with the general public on a day to day basis, seeing the darkest side of people within our borders, the less tolerant they become of bullshit. Thus, they'd make terrible politicians. I suspect thats also why we've seen so few true military heroes make the leap. Being a politician lately requires so much connection to wealth and such a love for being full of shit. Military folks, cops and firemen dont have much of any of that.

Good point.

He could pitch his medals all he wanted. And he ended up being right about Viet Nam....maybe that's the worst crime of all.

What would you know about honor OTH. You lied about your sexuality when you enlisted and you served dishonorably.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back