Military Waste Should Be Priority 1

So idiot....since the total DoD budget only makes up 18% of the Federal budget....how much of that is "waste?"

Now, compare that to Medicare and other entitlements that eat up over 50% of the budget.

So you think going after a piece of the 18% is going to make a dent while the entitlements keep getting bigger and bigger.

Just because you got hired on to clean toilets under some DoD contract doesn't make you an expert on the DoD budget, asswipe.

I think before we start tearing into social security, medicare, and medicaid, we need to look at the waste in military spending. Until I had this job, I didn't realize there are ten civilians and contract employees behind every person in uniform and only about four of them do any actual work. The software I saw was cumbersome and it took more people to maintain it than any value garnered. Not only that, it was poorly implemented and updates and tweeks were avoided because it cost a million dollars for any small change due to the hoops contractors have to jump through due to military specs. I asked how are we supposed to quickly manufacture weapons when the system is so convoluted to be answered, "oh, we'd just have to drop the system and do it manually". How stupid is that? The idea is to be able to replenish faster than the adversary. We need to clean house asap!

When the army says it has enough tanks modernized and the politicians want to keep the program going to get jobs in their states, then it's waste.

Hey, here's a good example:

Muslim Brotherhood inherits U.S. war gear - Washington Times

Just another example of how we shoot ourselves in the fucking foot by sticking our fucking noses in the fucking affairs of other fucking countries.

But I guess that's okay, because we're "exceptional" and all. Now that we've armed them, now that they may be "dangerous", we can go in and blow the living shit out of the place.

Great stuff.

Sourcing the Washington Times..is basically not such a good idea.

But the overall meme is correct.

Arming the world may be good for the pocketbook..initially.

But it bodes badly for the overall world economy if everyone is shooting at each other.

I would think if everyone had guns we would all be safer...? :)

I have no problem with finding waste in Military spending.

I would like to remind you that there is no authorization in the Constitution for any of the Social Spending done.

All waste should be targeted.... BUT... The military is something constitutionally charged for the federal government to do... Entitlements should be heavily targeted for elimination BEYOND waste

Not social security...I consider it and insurance program I've paid into substantially for 40 years. Streamline the redtape, sure...change my policy, no.

What YOU consider it is irrelevant... it is what it is... an entitlement program that the fed should have never started.. and that the fed has abused and used beyond its original scope for decades

Can you leave those on it high and dry?? No.. but you can start the process for taking care of those while eliminating by letting people opt out and by stopping putting people into it.. start biting the bullet to finally rid ourselves of it

The fed didn't start social security. Military spending is discretionary spending and social security isn't spending. It's taken the age group with the highest percentage in poverty to the lowest. When the elderly are poor, someone has to take care of them and that burden would fall on people in the workforce.

So idiot....since the total DoD budget only makes up 18% of the Federal budget....how much of that is "waste?"

Now, compare that to Medicare and other entitlements that eat up over 50% of the budget.

Social Security is fully funded by the payroll tax, it does not touch any of the budget. Medicare is 60% funded by the payroll tax.

40% of Medicare is paid for out of general funds. We are borrowing 40% of our general funding.

40% of 40% is 16%. That means that between Social Security and Medicare, only 16% of their total funding adds to the debt.

The OP is half right. We need to look into cutting military waste, but we also need to cut the waste in government programs. I'll bet that if we really looked into it, the waste in the entitlement programs dwarfs the military waste.

Look here you stupid Teatard...you're getting your numbers from the hereitage brown shirts...59% of ourdiscressionalry spending goes to military spending in some shape or form. I was working on software trying to help straighten out their mess of manufacturing system which just died on the vine after millions of government dollars were spent.

What are you an ex-officer who set up a multi-million dollar contract for some bullshit we don't need who's now working for the contractor who got the deal?
Idiot.

The majority of the DoD budget is discretionary, always has been, whereas the majority of most other US agencies and programs is mandatory.

The DoD budget, discretionary and mandatory (meaning ALL dollars the US spends) is ~20% of the total budget.

Like most libs facts are something they don't want to see, hear or deal with.

There is loads of waste in the DOD and it and every other Govt program should be on the table for spending cuts. All of them. Entitlements included.

Entitlements aren't spending. If an insurance company pays a claim is that spending?

Idiot.

The majority of the DoD budget is discretionary, always has been, whereas the majority of most other US agencies and programs is mandatory.

The DoD budget, discretionary and mandatory (meaning ALL dollars the US spends) is ~20% of the total budget.

Like most libs facts are something they don't want to see, hear or deal with.

There is loads of waste in the DOD and it and every other Govt program should be on the table for spending cuts. All of them. Entitlements included.

Entitlements aren't spending. If an insurance company pays a claim is that spending?

And we have the dumbest statement of the day.

The OP is half right. We need to look into cutting military waste, but we also need to cut the waste in government programs. I'll bet that if we really looked into it, the waste in the entitlement programs dwarfs the military waste.

He's definitely right about military members vs civilian contractors and we desperately need to return to pre 9/11 military spending. I also think we should cut the TSA and homeland security.

Forum List

Back