Military Vets take to twitter to fight discrimination

debbiedowner

Gold Member
Feb 12, 2017
Senate's first female war vet looks for bipartisan victories

A group of veterans are fighting anti-immigration messages one tweet at a time.

Vets Fight Hate has partnered with Southern Poverty Law Center with the goal of reminding people that they are all much more than just their looks or ancestry. Their Twitter account @VetsFightHate targets users who post hateful messages and possess a large number of followers. They reply to these hateful messages with personalized messages of their own — messages of immigrants who have served in the U.S. military.

“Veterans are one of the most respected and honored groups of Americans, and they have an important voice in fighting back against those spreading hatred,” SPLC spokeswoman Wendy Via told the Huffington Post.

The organization's very first post introduces us to Roy who tells his story: “I joined the US Army at 17 to defend America. I’m from Germany, but I was willing to fight for this country because it accepted me. Immigrants are what make America great."

Another veteran named Lawrence responded to a hateful message that said “immigrants are a disease to this country.”

“I’m an immigrant; I’m a citizen; and I’m a veteran. I served in the U.S. Air Force and fought for you, your family, and people I don’t even know. I risked my life for a free and inclusive country. This country was built by immigrants. Respect us. This is our home too,” Lawrence replied.

Approximately 11 percent of all U.S. veterans come from an immigrant background, whether they immigrated themselves, or their parents did. That’s the equivalent to nearly two million veterans, according to migrationpolicy.org

Vets Fight Hate has partnered with Southern Poverty Law Center with the goal of reminding people that they are all much more than just their looks or ancestry. Their Twitter account @VetsFightHate targets users who post hateful messages and possess a large number of followers. They reply to these hateful messages with personalized messages of their own — messages of immigrants who have served in the U.S. military.

“Veterans are one of the most respected and honored groups of Americans, and they have an important voice in fighting back against those spreading hatred,” SPLC spokeswoman Wendy Via told the Huffington Post.

The organization's very first post introduces us to Roy who tells his story: “I joined the US Army at 17 to defend America. I’m from Germany, but I was willing to fight for this country because it accepted me. Immigrants are what make America great."

Another veteran named Lawrence responded to a hateful message that said “immigrants are a disease to this country.”

“I’m an immigrant; I’m a citizen; and I’m a veteran. I served in the U.S. Air Force and fought for you, your family, and people I don’t even know. I risked my life for a free and inclusive country. This country was built by immigrants. Respect us. This is our home too,” Lawrence replied.

Approximately 11 percent of all U.S. veterans come from an immigrant background, whether they immigrated themselves, or their parents did. That’s the equivalent to nearly two million veterans, according to migrationpolicy.org

No problem with immigrants.

The problem is illegal invaders, and that immigrant knows it.

Tell it to the dead in Orlando.

The fact is it is the FBI's fault, they had him in their sights and simply ignored him. So what should we tell the dead in Oklahoma City? Oh just another homegrown terrorist? FBI also had him in their sights.

The fact is it is the FBI's fault, they had him in their sights and simply ignored him. So what should we tell the dead in Oklahoma City? Oh just another homegrown terrorist? FBI also had him in their sights.

We should not be importing populations that require massive and constant surveillance by the FBI.

If you have to ask the question, How do we watch these people so that they don't murder US, then the answer is DON'T FUCKING IMPORT THEM.

We should not be importing populations that require massive and constant surveillance by the FBI.

If you have to ask the question, How do we watch these people so that they don't murder US, then the answer is DON'T FUCKING IMPORT THEM.

You don't even know what happened in Ok City, do you? He was born and raised in the U.S. You fucking better do some research boy on the born and raised home grown terrorists. It was terrible what happened in Orlando.

Any immigrant that joins and fights for our military and country probably deserve to be here before some homegrown.

You don't even know what happened in Ok City, do you? He was born and raised in the U.S. You fucking better do some research boy on the born and raised home grown terrorists. It was terrible what happened in Orlando.

And of course, nothing I said, in any ways justifies your response.

All you did there was attempt to distract from the issue of Muslim terrorism and how to combat it.

That is a form of defense. Of the terrorism. From you.

The splc is a terrorist organization. No way around that.

There are foreigners in our military that identify as immigrants, not Americans. Why are they in an American military. They are nothing more than foreign mercenaries. Someone gave them a script to read. Once they read it, toss it out. For all we know these foreigners are in the military to smuggle drugs and weapons.

Veterans have no problem with Immigrants; however...

Illegal Aliens are NOT immigrants...

The vast majority of US veterans favor border integrity and national sovereignty and the enforcement of US immigration law...

Last edited:

You can't get more intellectually dishonest than when you conflate legal immigration and illegals. This vet supports our immigration laws, if you don't want to get bit by them, don't break them.

Last edited:

When leftists are not spitting on our veterans, they are pretending to be veterans as they set up front groups to pose as though our veterans are all in unison supporting some libtard cause or another.

Then the libtards conflate illegal immigration with legal immigration as though the opponents of criminal aliens are against immigration altogether.

roflma, if leftists arent lying they are not speaking.

Any immigrant that joins and fights for our military and country probably deserve to be here before some homegrown.

Lol, pretense, hypocrisy and blathering condescension all in one post.

roflmao

Forum List

Back