Military takes out Anwar al-Awlaki

The CIA "takes out" an American citizen. A couple of years ago Marines went on trial for "taking out" Iraqi citizens and a democrat congressman called them murderers.

We have NATO supporting the Libyan rebels in their triumphant march across the country and the Military taking out a terrorist in Yemen. Where is NATO in Afghanistan? Why doesn't the CIA "take out" every Alqueda stronghold in Afghanistan? The American Troops are slugging out for every inch of Afghanistan because the liberal administration decided the greatest Military in the world should fight by the rules set by the enemy.

Allowing?

The President is the Commander in Chief of the military. He's the top of the food chain. Orders come from the President.

Read your constitution.
That's partially correct. It's a "trickle down" effect. The Brass and the POTUS make the decisions concerning the 'big picture'. There's a lot of shit that gets lost in translation, interpretted differently, and mangled as the orders reach the Privates. What the President wants, isn't exactly what he's going to get.

The left is loudly complaining that we took out an American citizen (by birth) without the due process guaranteed by the Constitution.
Due process doesn't apply when he's a legitimate military target. His citizenship is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Allowing?

The President is the Commander in Chief of the military. He's the top of the food chain. Orders come from the President.

Read your constitution.
That's partially correct. It's a "trickle down" effect. The Brass and the POTUS make the decisions concerning the 'big picture'. There's a lot of shit that gets lost in translation, interpretted differently, and mangled as the orders reach the Privates. What the President wants, isn't exactly what he's going to get.

The left is loudly complaining that we took out an American citizen (by birth) without the due process guaranteed by the Constitution.
Due process doesn't apply when he's a legitimate military target. His citizenship is irrelevant.

PRECISELY!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Was he even still a citizen or did he renounce his citizenship? Im not sure thats why I am asking.

On a side note, i heard his (al-awlaki) family is suing the US over the assasination but i'm not finding links right now so maybe its not true.

Contrary to popular belief, it really takes a lot for a US citizen to renounce his citizenship. US law is based on the concept of perpetual allegiance. That's why, technically, there is no such thing as a dual citizen from a US government perspective. A person may be recognized as a dual citizen in a foreign country, but in the US, the government only recognizes the US citizen part.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to renounce US citizenship. I'm just saying that it really takes a lot of paperwork. There may be people walking around in foreign countries who may truly believe that they've renounced their citizenship. But in the eyes of the law, they're still US citizens and will have to pay back taxes if ever in US custody.

Allowing?

Read your constitution.

This "bystander" charge is complete nonsense..and bullshit.
What bystander charge?

Look, Obama has no - that's absolute zero - military, defense, and intel experience. That's a cold, hard fact.

He is doing the right thing - the wise thing - by staying out of their way.

So, good on our intel community and good on our military for this.

And, good on Obama for staying out of their way.

Sallow often struggles with basic comprehension skills. :eusa_shhh:

Allowing?

Read your constitution.

The big question is who makes the decision that "due process doesn't apply and citizenship is irrelevant"? The courts used to make life or death decisions regarding US citizens but now it seems the CIA puts a death warrant under the president's nose and he signs it.

Allowing?

Read your constitution.

The big question is who makes the decision that "due process doesn't apply and citizenship is irrelevant"? The courts used to make life or death decisions regarding US citizens but now it seems the CIA puts a death warrant under the president's nose and he signs it.
Al-Awlaki made that decision when he participated in terrorist acts against the United States during a time of war, making him an enemy combatant. It was also decided by Congress through joint resolutions known as Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF).

Al-Awlaki made that decision when he participated in terrorist acts against the United States during a time of war, making him an enemy combatant. It was also decided by Congress through joint resolutions known as Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF).

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

this says it all....

He's smart enough not to stop them. :)

Well he could have said no but he didn't so I think the president deserves some credit here.

Not really, just look at what happened to JFK when he told the CIA "no".

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not fan of the president but I don't let that blind me to the reality of this situation.

Al-Ewokie had a choice to make. He could have walked into CNN headquarters and turned himselve in. it would have all but guarenteed he be taken alive and likely would have gotten him some facetime to spead his brand of hate. But he didnt take that route, he ran.

US has been putting out "Dead or Alive" posters for a very long time, you dont turn yourself in, you take your chances and with drones and everything else, its not a good bet that he would have been taken alive

PLYMCO_PILGRIM said:

I'm not fan of the president but I don't let that blind me to the reality of this situation.

What? That he wants to finally start acting like a president, now that election year is coming up? If you want to give credit, give credit where it's due: JSOC and the CIA.

Last edited:
PLYMCO_PILGRIM said:

What? That he wants to finally start acting like a president, now that election year is coming up? If you want to give credit, give credit where it's due: JSOC and the CIA.

Remember the pirates deal where he gave the go ahead to take them out? Obama has been consistent on this stuff and I have no complaints about him taking out those pirates or osama bin laden.....and while I have reservations about the man being a us citizen (al-alwaky) i'm not complaining about obama taking him out either.

Yuck I need some soap and a shower, i feel dirty now.

Forum List

Back