Military retirees face cuts

No, I was a member of the United States Navy - not a lazy assed government employee, dipshit.

Anything else you need to know?

Just for clarification purposes, where did your paycheck come from?

DFAS, dumb fuck. Same as every other servicemembers.

It's a damned good thing idiots like you aren't elected officials, nor operate heavy machinery.

DFAS is a government owned and operated agency, yes? So, you were in fact, a government employee. Now was that so hard?

Funny how the promised wages, pensions and benefits of Firefighters, Teachers, Policemen and other public sector are perfectly okay to be cut...but not the military? Why should only promises to them be sacrosanct?

Apparently, the GOP hasn't told the military, or it's retirees that we are broke and we must look at all options to cut our defecit and spending.

Just for clarification purposes, where did your paycheck come from?

It's a damned good thing idiots like you aren't elected officials, nor operate heavy machinery.

DFAS is a government owned and operated agency, yes? So, you were in fact, a government employee. Now was that so hard?

Why are you so pissed off military people get a retirement?
It's a free country. Fucking enlist and earn a retirement yourself, shitforbrains.
1-800-USA-ARMY. Call and inquire.

Should the title be:

Republican controlled house considers cuts to military retiree benefits.

They can consider anything they like. And the media can get all worked up about it all day long.

Cutting retirees benefits ?

Never gonna happen.

Too many organizations, lobbyists, pro-military elected officials won't allow it.

Really? As I recall, Clinton had somme success in this arena a few years back....

Funny how the promised wages, pensions and benefits of Firefighters, Teachers, Policemen and other public sector are perfectly okay to be cut...but not the military? Why should only promises to them be sacrosanct?

Apparently, the GOP hasn't told the military, or it's retirees that we are broke and we must look at all options to cut our defecit and spending.

We could look at your foodstamps next. That would really put you over the cliff, wouldn't it? How about if the government evicts you from your FEMA trailer.

You're really a fucking moron.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Look, another Tea Party member! Hands off MY government run health insurance and pension plan!!!!

I have paid into Social Security since age 16. Now, the GOP wants to eliminate it altogether. How is this any different? When I began to pay into it, was a similar promise not made that I would one day be able to draw from it?

Paying into SSN does not equate to serving your country for 20+ years, dumbfuck. Grow a brain you uneducated idiot.

Are you THAT stupid? You basically were a government employee, yes? I appreciate the fact that you couldn't get a real job, but how does your CHOICE to live off the government give you any advantage over those that simply paid into the government by working in the private sector?
Bar of soap for your mouth, dummy. Where I come from, American Patriots encourage their young men to enlist to learn honor, hard work, and integrity. You won't meet better people in your entire life than you meet here. These fellas put everything they had on the line for your right to speak as foolishly as you just did in this post. Suffice it to say, I'll personally campaign against any politician who ever takes your attitude toward American warriors.:evil:

Last edited:

It's a free country. Fucking enlist and earn a retirement yourself, shitforbrains.

Who said anything about being pissed? My father served in the USAF for 22 years, did two tours in Nam, and I believe he deserves everything he gets. Does that make him a non-target for spending cuts? Absolutely not. If the GOP wants to cut my SS, then they need to cut military pensions witht the same razor.

Who said anything about being pissed? My father served in the USAF for 22 years, did two tours in Nam, and I believe he deserves everything he gets. Does that make him a non-target for spending cuts? Absolutely not. If the GOP wants to cut my SS, then they need to cut military pensions witht the same razor.

You speak for your father now?

Ask him how he feels about this issue, dumb fuck. Remember, if he loses his benefits, no more free trips to the dentist and commissarry for you asshole.

LOL!

Get bent.

Paying into SSN does not equate to serving your country for 20+ years, dumbfuck. Grow a brain you uneducated idiot.

Are you THAT stupid? You basically were a government employee, yes? I appreciate the fact that you couldn't get a real job, but how does your CHOICE to live off the government give you any advantage over those that simply paid into the government by working in the private sector?
Bar of soap for your mouth, dummy. Where I come from, American Patriots encourage their young men to enlist to learn honor, hard work, and integrity. You won't meet better people in your entire life than you meet here. These fellas put everything they had on the line for your right to speak as foolishly as you just did in this post. Suffice it to say, I'll personally campaign against any politician who ever takes your attitude toward American warriors.:evil:

Oh please. Put your pom poms away. MOST of us live in the real world. The % of people who enlist because they love their country THAT much is miniscule compared to those to enlist just so they could draw a paycheck.

Last edited:

Ask him how he feels about this issue, dumb fuck. Remember, if he loses his benefits, no more free trips to the dentist and commissarry for you asshole.

LOL!

Get bent.

Perhaps comprehsenion is your issue. At what point did I say I was speakinng FOR my father? And had you ACTUALLY served and had dependents, you would know that those free dental trips and commissary visits ended as soon as I elected not to go to college, idiot.

GOP has no intention of cutting your SS, but we may raise military pensions when we get a majority in the Senate. Save your falsehoods for someone who really cares.

LOL!

Get bent.

Perhaps comprehsenion is your issue. At what point did I say I was speakinng FOR my father? And had you ACTUALLY served and had dependents, you would know that those free dental trips and commissary visits ended as soon as I elected not to go to college, idiot.

College? I had you pegged for a 9th grade.
My bad.

You're dumber than originally observed.

GOP has no intention of cutting your SS, but we may raise military pensions when we get a majority in the Senate. Save your falsehoods for someone who really cares.

Oh, that's right, they only want to CUT MediCare, MediCaid and Social Secuirty. My bad.

GOP Budget Aim: Cut $4 Trillion From Spending - WSJ.com

LOL!

Get bent.

College? I had you pegged for a 9th grade.
My bad.

You're dumber than originally observed.

..........says the poster utilizing playground name calling in a debate.......:eusa_shhh:

Citing the fiscal hazards and inequities of the system, the Defense Business Board proposal would allow soldiers with less than 20 years of service to leave with a small nest egg, provided they served a minimum length of time, three to five years. But it would prevent all retirees from receiving benefits until they were 60.

The business board says that its proposal would reduce the plan’s total liabilities to $1.8 trillion by 2034, from the $2.7 trillion now projected — all without cutting benefits for current service members.

By the way? Retirement has not been 50 percent in a very long time. It is 40 percent of the 2 and half highest years you served. I was grandfathered because I joined before the change, My retirement is about 1100 a month. Try living on that.

I don't receive my retirement. I am disabled and am paid by the VA. For every dollar the VA pays me 1 comes out of my retirement. Since the VA pays more I take that instead.

I've been out for 13 years now Gunny. I am 50-something percent.

It changed around 1990. 40 percent and it is factored by the average of your highest paid 2 and a half years. Believe they kept the computation for years over 20 though. We got 50 percent of our highest pay no matter how long we received it.

I transferred to the Fleet Reserve in 1998 myself, but just a technical correction. I had the opportunity to look it up when in conversations with my daughter who will be taking her commission in about a year and a half. [ETA: All calculations are based on Base Pay not Actual Pay. Base Pay is just that, base. Actual Pay includes such things as BAS, BAH/Q, Flight Pay, Combat Pay, Sub Pay, Dislocation Allowance, etc. all of which can be a pretty substantial portion not included in retirement.]

I'm posting this for future reference and for those lurkers who may not understand the system.

Final Pay:
  • Applicable to those who joined prior to September 8, 1980
  • Multiplier = 2.5% per year for each year of service
  • At 20 years = 50%, at 30 years = 75%, at 40 years = 100% of base pay
  • COLAs are based on the Consumer Price Index

High-3 (36 Month) Average:
  • Applicable to all who joined between September 8, 1980 and August 1, 1986 and to those who joined after 8/1/1986 and who do not/did not elect the Career Status Bonus/REDUX option.
  • Members must choose this option or CBS/REDUX at their 15th year of service.
  • At 20 years = 50%, at 30 years = 75%, at 40 years = 100% of base pay for the average of the 36 months preceding retirement.

Career Status Bonus/REDUX (CBS/REDUX)
  • Applicable to all who joined after August 1, 1986.
  • Multiplier = 2% per year for each year of service prior to 20 and 3.5% for each year after 20.
  • At 20 years = 40%, at 30 years = 75% of base pay for the for the 36 months prior to retirement.
  • COLAs are based on the Consumer Price Index minus 1% (CPI -1).
  • There are certain adjustments made to at age 62 to match High-3 and CBS/REDUX retirement amounts, but after age 62 the member continue to receive CPI-1.

>>>>

Last edited:
That's one of the problems you get with a volunteer Military. You have to provide incentives.

But everybody better get used to it because everybody is going to have to pay eventually once the committee stalls and the mandatory cuts come down.

I've been out for 13 years now Gunny. I am 50-something percent.

It changed around 1990. 40 percent and it is factored by the average of your highest paid 2 and a half years. Believe they kept the computation for years over 20 though. We got 50 percent of our highest pay no matter how long we received it.

I transferred to the Fleet Reserve in 1998 myself, but just a technical correction. I had the opportunity to look it up when in conversations with my daughter who will be taking her commission in about a year and a half.

I'm posting this for future reference and for those lurkers who may not understand the system.

Final Pay:
  • Applicable to those who joined prior to September 8, 1980
  • At 20 years = 50%, at 30 years = 75%, at 40 years = 100% of base pay

High-3 (36 Month) Average:
  • Applicable to all who joined between September 8, 1980 and August 1, 1986 and to those who joined after 8/1/1986 and who do not/did not elect the Career Status Bonus/REDUX option.
  • At 20 years = 50%, at 30 years = 75%, at 40 years = 100% of base pay for the average of the 36 months preceding retirement.

Career Status Bonus/REDUX (CBS/REDUX)
  • Applicable to all who joined after August 1, 1986.
  • Multiplier = 2% per year for each year of service prior to 20 and 3.5% for each year after 20.
  • At 20 years = 40%, at 30 years = 75% of base pay for the for the 36 months prior to retirement.
  • COLAs are based on the Consumer Price Index minus 1% (CPI -1).
  • There are certain adjustments made to at age 62 to match High-3 and CBS/REDUX retirement amounts, but after age 62 the member continue to receive CPI-1.

>>>>

Thank you for the information. Pursuant to Warrior102's comments, is this a government run healthcare and pension plan? If so, why is this being excluded from the GOP's proposed cuts to other government run healthcare and pension plans such as MediCare, MediCaid and Social Security?

Forum List

Back