Military recruitment ads

Lighten up people. I joined the Marines because I knew I would be drafted and I liked the movie Sands of Iwo Jima. Don't give me the old crap about Duke Wayne I know. Advertising works and movies are part of it. Even though the Vietnam Vet unfairly became the psycho anti-hero in the movies later on the Marines still made their quota. If the Pentagon thinks they can get more volunteers by pretending they are "meals on wheels" and a global force to save the whales and other creatures hey who am I to get in their way? I earned the right to laugh at it though. Note the most vitriolic insults to the Military come from a poster who disrespects the American Flag.

I think the recent USMC TV commercial is intended to recruit a more diverse member. As stated, when the Marines are Looking for a Few Good Men, they usually get them. They are getting them mainly in the form of white men and they have been ordered from above to get more minorities. My son is going through TBS right now and the number of non-whites is very small. The number of blacks and others that go Infantry is even smaller. None of the branches are having trouble right now though. The unemployment rate in the military recruit demographic is over 20 percent.

Do not forget. The Marines have found their few good men.

Navy Corpsmen

Last edited:
You think the Navy should revise the ad to read "The US Navy is a diverse global force for good"? How about "The US Navy is an environmentally aware diverse global force for good"?

Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) departed Naval Station San Diego May 3, beginning its part in Pacific Partnership 2012, a four-and-a-half month humanitarian and civic assistance mission to Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia. Mercy is crewed by 70 civil service mariners working for MSC who operate and navigate the ship while Navy planners and medical personnel plan and execute the mission.

Mercy was scheduled to depart May 1, but a mechanical problem delayed the ship's departure for two days.

Pacific Partnership 2012 is a mission that will take medical, dental, veterinary, engineering and civic assistance projects to Southeast Asia and Oceania. Pacific Partnership missions build on relationships that have been developed during previous missions, for example Mercy's participation in international relief efforts following the December 2004 tsunami that struck Southeast Asia, and Mercy's 2006, 2008 and 2010 humanitarian and civic assistance deployments to the region.
MSC hospital ship departs for humanitarian mission

I had the unique opportunity to read some of the posts here and can tell you that the U.S. Navy does quite a lot of good in the world. When you see an earthquake, or disaster in world the first on scene and often times the only response on scene is from the U.S. Navy. A good example of this would be the efforts in Haiti by the U.S. Navy to lend assistance to those in need of food, water and medical care and temporary housing. Still further the U.S. Navy provides this nation with a safe and free means in which commerce flows in and out of this nation. Go into your local Wal-Mart and purchase just about anything these days and you can thank the U.S. Navy for being in-guard for keeping the Sea Lanes open and safe for that commerce to come into this nation as cheaply as it does. These young sailors, ask nothing for their efforts other than a "Thank you" they deploy for months at a time and have done so for hundreds of years away from their families and loved one's and to make the suggestion they are not a force for good is not only nonsense it's wrong.

You could argue that "Pacific Partnership2012 goes beyond the Navy's mission but if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy it's OK. The sea lanes are crowded with shipping but US Navy gets tapped for assistance in disasters while the rest of the Star Wars Bar Scene AKA the UN stands around and whines while they stab us in the back every chance they get. Why not save a buck and dry dock the Carriers and the rest of the fleet and turn the US Navy into meals on wheels?

New Topics

Forum List

Back