military recruiting of Latinos

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Los Angeles Times
August 30, 2005

Latino Groups To Fight Military Recruiting On Campuses

Coalition seeks to prevent U.S. from getting personal data on high school students.

By Anna Gorman, Times Staff Writer

Arguing that military recruiters are unfairly targeting minorities at high school campuses, a Los Angeles-based coalition of antiwar activists announced a national campaign Monday to fight recruitment in schools.

The advocates plan to educate students and their parents "to keep our children from being cannon fodder," Rosalio Munoz, coordinator for Latinos for Peace, said during a news conference in East Los Angeles.

"The peace movement is alive and well in the Latino community," Munoz said.

The groups made the announcement at Salazar Park on the 35th anniversary of the Chicano Moratorium, a protest against the disproportionate number of Latinos being killed in the Vietnam War.

The 20,000-member march ended in a riot and the deaths of three people, including Los Angeles Times columnist and KMEX-TV Channel 34 news director Ruben Salazar.

The activists said Monday that too many Latino youths have died in the war in Iraq.

In an effort to prevent more deaths, they want schools to limit the presence of recruiters on campus and to do a better job of informing students about how to keep the military from obtaining their personal information.

Under the Bush administration's No Child Left Behind Act, recruiters can obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of high school juniors and seniors unless parents or students sign a form opting out.

During Monday's news conference, Coalition Against Militarism in our Schools organizer Arlene Inouye said she plans to begin an "Operation Opt Out" campaign to urge students to sign the forms.

Volunteers will go to 30 schools as well as school board meetings to raise awareness of the issue.

The coalition will also discourage students from taking the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test, a military recruitment tool.

"It is unconscionable that this is going on — the targeting of the working poor in our community," Inouye said.

"Our students are getting shammed into the military," Inouye said.

CSM said:
Los Angeles Times
August 30, 2005

Latino Groups To Fight Military Recruiting On Campuses

Coalition seeks to prevent U.S. from getting personal data on high school students.

By Anna Gorman, Times Staff Writer

Arguing that military recruiters are unfairly targeting minorities at high school campuses, a Los Angeles-based coalition of antiwar activists announced a national campaign Monday to fight recruitment in schools.

Translation:

A Los Angeles-based coalition of antiwar activists announced a national campaign Monday to let the nation know they are idiots.

"It is unconscionable that this is going on — the targeting of the working poor in our community," Inouye said.

Are you saying it's not happening, or that it's happening but not unconscionable?

:salute:

"The peace movement is alive and well in the Latino community," Munoz said....
The 20,000-member march ended in a riot and the deaths of three people,...
Ah huh, that peace movement is alive and well alright you betcha.
The coalition will also discourage students from taking the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test, a military recruitment tool.
It's also a mandatory test to enter the service.
Targeting of the working poor in our community? Ahhhhh, I have news for you Inouye, this test was given at my daughters PRIVATE school too, hardly a group of working poor. No one has to take it if they don't want to. If students do take the test there is NO obligation to enlist.

nucular said:

Are you saying it's not happening, or that it's happening but not unconscionable?

I am saying that the military does not target a specific group. Recruiting campaigns occur in EVERY high school...not just the poor communities. The two options you list (not happening at all or happening but not unconscionable) are not the only two options. That does not mean that poor communities (Latino or not) are not more (or less) susceptable.....

CSM said:
I am saying that the military does not target a specific group. Recruiting campaigns occur in EVERY high school...not just the poor communities. The two options you list (not happening at all or happening but not unconscionable) are not the only two options. That does not mean that poor communities (Latino or not) are not more (or less) susceptable.....

Military are probably happy to take anyone they can get at this point. They are way below target. Seems like if they recruit Latinos those boys will feel an investment in the USA and learn English to boot. If they don't get killed.

nucular said:
Military are probably happy to take anyone they can get at this point. They are way below target. Seems like if they recruit Latinos those boys will feel an investment in the USA and learn English to boot. If they don't get killed.

So? They are at or above re-enlistment rates.

(shrug).

nucular said:

Actually, the military is doing a fairly good job of maintaining the standards despite the shortfall of recruits.

I fail to see why an investment in the USA and learning English to boot could be a bad thing (if, as you say, they dont get killed). Perhaps that is better than being gunned down in the street by a rival street gang (I would assume that street gangs recruit in high schools as well).

CSM said:
(I would assume that street gangs recruit in high schools as well).
Shoot they begin their recruiting while the child is still too young to be convicted of a crime. If they are caught and cannot be charged with a crime they are used in a large degree. In CO they recruit 7 year olds because at 8 they can be charged with a crime. They also recruit those that are not teens as they cannot be charged as adults and therefore when they become 18 their record is erased, even to the police.

no1tovote4 said:
... They also recruit those that are not teens as they cannot be charged as adults and therefore when they become 18 their record is erased, even to the police.
Here the juvenile record is not erased, but they are inaccessible to most authorities.
If my wife in her Judge capacity wants the juvenile record on a 18 year old perpetrator in order
to review past criminal "history", in order to apply the proper bond/bail order etc...she, even as a judge with a need can't even get it.

nucular said:

Well, I would say that it is happening and it is NOT unconscionable.

Latinos are rapidly becoming the majority in CA and they ARE being targeted because they make up most of the market for young recruits here. Why is that a bad thing?

Would it be unconscionable for the Police Department, or the Fire Department, or any agency that has a high incidence of death, to recruit Lationos? Give me a break.

Forum List

Back