military rape victims ignored by pentagon

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
ourteen current and former members of the U.S. military charged in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that the Pentagon turned a blind eye when they reported being sexually harassed, assaulted and raped by fellow service members while on active duty.

Interviews by NBC News with some of the plaintiffs in the case reveal disturbing and previously unreported allegations of sexual abuse in the military, including some in the war zones of Afghanistan and Iraq. In addition, one of the plaintiffs, identified as a naval aviator, charges in the lawsuit that she was drugged and then gang raped by two of her colleagues while serving at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma just two months ago.

Mary Gallagher, a former sergeant in the Air National Guard, says that within weeks of being deployed to an air base outside of Baghdad in 2009 she was brutally assaulted by a fellow sergeant who burst into the ladies room, pushed her up against the wall, pulled her pants and underwear down and ground his genitals against her, talking the whole time how much he was enjoying it.

"I thought he was going to kill me that night," Gallagher told NBC in an interview. "I felt completely isolated and alone and really scared. Here I was, in the middle of a foreign country in the middle of a war."

When she reported the attack, she says her commander’s only response was to reassign her assailant and tell her "this stuff happens."

Did Pentagon turn blind eye to rape victims? - U.S. news - Life - Military - msnbc.com

read the entire article...is this really how one reacts to rape..telling a woman to respect the man's rank?

ourteen current and former members of the U.S. military charged in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that the Pentagon turned a blind eye when they reported being sexually harassed, assaulted and raped by fellow service members while on active duty.

Interviews by NBC News with some of the plaintiffs in the case reveal disturbing and previously unreported allegations of sexual abuse in the military, including some in the war zones of Afghanistan and Iraq. In addition, one of the plaintiffs, identified as a naval aviator, charges in the lawsuit that she was drugged and then gang raped by two of her colleagues while serving at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma just two months ago.

Mary Gallagher, a former sergeant in the Air National Guard, says that within weeks of being deployed to an air base outside of Baghdad in 2009 she was brutally assaulted by a fellow sergeant who burst into the ladies room, pushed her up against the wall, pulled her pants and underwear down and ground his genitals against her, talking the whole time how much he was enjoying it.

"I thought he was going to kill me that night," Gallagher told NBC in an interview. "I felt completely isolated and alone and really scared. Here I was, in the middle of a foreign country in the middle of a war."

When she reported the attack, she says her commander’s only response was to reassign her assailant and tell her "this stuff happens."

Did Pentagon turn blind eye to rape victims? - U.S. news - Life - Military - msnbc.com

read the entire article...is this really how one reacts to rape..telling a woman to respect the man's rank?

This is disgusting how women are treated, I was in the Military for 7 years and I have never seen anything like this, every group I was with made sure to look out for our female service members especially over seas.

there is all kinds of out rage over the reporter logan being assaulted by a mob....but very little about women serving in the military being raped by their own peers

why is that?

Unless it is a new problem it simply did not happen when I was in. Anyone that charged a sexual harassment or rape complaint was taken very seriously and it was investigated.

Any Officer that condones such conduct is a disgrace to the Uniform.

I was a victim of assault when I was in the military and it cut my tour short. I have not been able to claim any of the benefits that I would have enjoyed had I been able to fulfil my enlistment if it weren't for this man invading my life. The male was never removed from the floor I was living on. I was humiliated and embarrassed. My chain of command would not allow me to call the MP's. They handled it "IN HOUSE" and gave the soldier 15 days restriction and 15 days extra duty. I have since attempted to file for PTSD from reliving the events and having to deal with the actions of the chain of command and the base neglecting the situation. I have gotten nowhere.

Last edited:
I was a victim of assault when I was in the military and it cut my tour short. I have not been able to claim any of the benefits that I would have enjoyed had I been able to fulfil my enlistment if it weren't for this man invading my life. The male was never removed from the floor I was living on. I was humiliated and embarrassed. My chain of command would not allow me to call the MP's. They handled it "IN HOUSE" and gave the soldier 15 days restriction and 15 days extra duty. I have since attempted to file for PTSD from reliving the events and having to deal with the actions of the chain of command and the base neglecting the situation. I have gotten nowhere.

I am so sorry to hear that, the Militarys version of "justice" is rubbish in most cases, if I were you I would have called the civilian police, that is fucking bullshit what happened to you.

Forum List

Back