Military Pay Halted....F'd up

Shit......I was on shore duty at Newport RI when it happened. First thing that happened was that all the civilians (about half of the command) were told to go home without pay, and they would be called back when the budget was passed.

The military was then assembled and we were told that even though the civilians went home, we still had a job to do and all of it still had to be completed.

We were working 10 hour days for a while.........

Then, on the 15th, we were told that the budget still hadn't passed and that we would be given back pay when the budget did pass, but for now, go to Navy Relief and get a loan and tell them you'd pay it back when you finally did get paid.

Yeah.....that month sucked.

I would have been steaming.:evil:
Id'a been at the beach. Fuck'em.

Cain, consider yourself very fortunate. My first take home pay for one month of service as an E1 was $111. That was the summer of 1971. Not really ancient history. Military pay has come a long way.

I am not complaining about military pay. I would still join up, even if their was no pay, because I want to be able to earn something like the ability to say I am a Airman, but for someone to act like since I joined I'll be living it big, or even better then not joining, is ridiculous.

Cain, consider yourself very fortunate. My first take home pay for one month of service as an E1 was $111. That was the summer of 1971. Not really ancient history. Military pay has come a long way.

I am not complaining about military pay. I would still join up, even if their was no pay, because I want to be able to earn something like the ability to say I am a Airman, but for someone to act like since I joined I'll be living it big, or even better then not joining, is ridiculous.

Nothing to complain about. As far as serving, you are 100% correct. I have nothing but the utmost respect for any-ones service. You wear the uniform you deserve the respect.

Even if I do give certain people hell about it.

The way i see it stop the payment of everyone in the government before you stop the payment to our military!

fucking halt all aid to all other countries...and stop paying for UN wars!

Its total bullshit!

Oh the first pay to go, should be that of the congress people and the President of the United States. :evil:

Never, NEVER should our men and women who serve should ever have to do without a pay, this is seriously messed up

The Update since the original OP.

My Son, who is in the Army has been told that the Army can withhold paying him for up to 3 months and eventually he will get the back pay..

Initially, he was told that he simply wouldn't get paid and there would be no back pay...and basically he'd just have to suck-it-up...

I'm amazed at how they screw with these Guys and Gals serving us...

I've met many of my Son's, Guy and Gal buddies serving and although the language curled my ears a few times they are overall a great bunch of young folks... I'm thinking the Best..

Last edited:

My Son, who is in th Army has been told that the Army can withhold paying him for up to 3 months and eventually he will get the back pay..

Initially, he was told that he simply wouldn't get paid and there would be no back pay...and basically he'd just have to suck-it-up...

I've met many of my Son's, Guy and Gal buddies serving and although the language curled my ears a few times they are overall a great bunch of young folks... I'm thinking the Best..

Well, the best were trained by me. But it is possible that they were trained by troops that I trained so they could be the best yet...

Anyway, I still blame the last congress.....

And just plain pisses me off...

I would hope all Americans would be up in arms, fit to be tied, totally pissed off, if this government is so F'd up that this could happen...just pathetic..

-------------------------:evil:

Military pay for soldiers in the US and abroad could be drastically affected should the government experience a budgetary shutdown in the coming days.

With hundreds of thousands of active, reserve, and national guard military personnel providing front line, or support functions for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a stoppage in pay would add additional stress to soliders, sailors, and airmen trying to focus on missons at hand.

While President Obama has stated that during a government shutdown, essential services would be paid and budgeted for, the fact that military expenditures make up such a large portion of the national budget would mean that halts in money would have to occur in many areas regardless of the President's overtures.

In an article on Friday from the Army Times, soldiers back in 1995 were not effected by the government shutdown, but this time circumstances are different, and pay would be halted even while men and women continue to fight in the active war zones.

https://www.examiner.com/finance-ex...-could-be-affected-with-a-government-shutdown
In an article on Friday from the Army Times, soldiers back in 1995 were not effected by the government shutdown, but this time circumstances are different, and pay would be halted even while men and women continue to fight in the active war zones.

I am wondering why this time they would screw it up?

Not only that, but you get to travel the world on the government's dime. I've been to 26 different countries, and never was told I had to get a passport.

I really liked places like Rhodes, Thessaloniki, and Haifa Israel (the first 2 are in Greece).

Not only that, but one of the things that you get from traveling like that is a very good understanding that people are people, no matter where you go.

We all have families, we all have ideals and we all love something. Can't get much more human than that.

Just to clarify a common misconception, the "Army Times" is not affiliated with the Army nor is it published by the US Military. The Army Times is a part of the Gannett news media and it's content is just as accurate or inaccurate or biased as any other mainstream media outlet. There is no evidence that Military pay or government programs like Social Security would be affected by a government shut down.

My Son, who is in th Army has been told that the Army can withhold paying him for up to 3 months and eventually he will get the back pay..

Good to know. However it still sucks!

I am of a mind that elected officials should have to forfeit all of their pay and not receive their as back pay.

Good to know. However it still sucks!

I am of a mind that elected officials should have to forfeit all of their pay and not receive their as back pay.

I'm with you...

I wonder if they'll ever get the message that they work for us...

Last edited:
Just to clarify a common misconception, the "Army Times" is not affiliated with the Army nor is it published by the US Military. The Army Times is a part of the Gannett news media and it's content is just as accurate or inaccurate or biased as any other mainstream media outlet. There is no evidence that Military pay or government programs like Social Security would be affected by a government shut down.

Sure.............tell the people serving on active duty at the time of the last government shutdown that.

They'll tell you that it wasn't that way...........trust me.......I was active duty at the time.

Unfortunately, (believe it or not) Congressional and presidential pay is protected by the constitution. It would actually be unconstitutional to not pay them.

Now doesn't that just suck beans?

Alarmist nonsense, the military will be paid in the event of a shutdown. They were, last time.

The Examiner's accuracy and veracity has been called into question many times before.

Really?

If government shuts down, so would troop pay

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Mar 11, 2011 12:08:58 EST

U.S. troops could be required to report to work without pay if a budget clash in Congress results in a government-wide shutdown, according to draft planning guidance circulating in the Pentagon.

A shutdown could happen as early as next week, as the government is set to run out of money at midnight March 17. A bill that would keep the government operating temporarily has been prepared in the House of Representatives, but it is not clear when or if it might pass.

The government has been operating under a series of temporary appropriations, known as continuing resolutions, since Oct. 1 because of lawmakers’ inability to agree on how much money to provide federal agencies. Budget discussions have become increasingly complicated since the November general elections resulted in a divided legislature, with Republicans controlling the House and Democrats controlling the Senate.

When the government was shut down in 1995, military personnel continued to report to work and were paid, but the planning guidance sent to the services and defense agencies says a shutdown this time will be different.

“All military personnel will continue in normal duty status regardless of their affiliation with exempt or non-exempt activities,” says the draft planning guidance that was prepared for the services and defense agencies. “Military personnel will serve without pay until such time as Congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for this period of service
If government shuts down, so would troop pay - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Yanno.......I was stationed in Newport RI at the Naval War College when it happened. For 3 weeks, the civilians all went home, and we carried the load while they were gone.

Oh yeah.....it also took 3 weeks to get our paychecks (back pay we were owed) and there were lots of people contacting Navy Relief to see if they could get loans for rent.

Nope......and what's worse.......if the government shuts down........that means veterans who are retired (like me) won't get their check, and people like my roomie won't get their unemployment benefits.

Wanna see a French Revolution against the rich? Let the GOP shut down the government.

Guess what, I saw articles like that in the Navy Times during the Clinton/Republican budget dispute. Didn't happen then either. The Army Times is not an official Pentagon news source, it is fully owned by Gannet.

I hereby make a prediction.

If we have a government shutdown that extends into April Congress will pass a separate bill that authorizes any money needed to continue essential services, and no member of the military will miss a single paycheck.

That's exactly what they'll do, and they already have the authority to do it.

1861 law may help Army operate under shutdown - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
To make sure that soldiers in the field are spared the impacts of a government shutdown, the Army is researching what provisions of the Feed and Forage Act of 1861 would apply in these circumstances, Barbara Bonessa, deputy director for the Army budget said in an interview April 1.

Under the law, the government is allowed to buy “clothing, subsistence, forage, fuel, quarters, transportation, or medical and hospital supplies,” for the troops before receiving the necessary appropriation from Congress.

The Act was first created during the Civil War for soldiers operating out West who had no idea whether a spending bill had been passed in Washington, but needed to resupply their ammunition, food and other necessary provisions, said John Cooney, who served as deputy general counsel in the Office of Management and Budget during the Reagan administration.

It specifically allows the military to incur obligations in advance of appropriations. When the Department of Homeland Security was created it was added to the Act.

Under a government shutdown, operations that “protect life and property” are allowed to continue and it is implied that agencies can keep buying what they need to support those activities.

The Feed and Forage Act makes it explicit, Cooney said. “It’s a backup plan just to make absolutely sure,” he said.

Although it dates back to the Civil War, the Act has been invoked more recently.

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld invoked the Act following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

As to their families trying to hold it together back home, not so lucky.

I told the Mrs. to email her kid in Afghanistan, and tell him if it comes down to it we'll carry his wife until this shit gets sorted out. Troops shouldn't have to worry about this crap.

No doubt, imagine how our troops are gonna feel when their exchanging gun fire with some fucking Talibs for free with no paycheck, thats disgusting.:evil:

From 1979 to 1995 every time the Government threatened to shut down the military got told they may not get paid. Under Reagan it happened several times. They always managed to pay us.

Just remember, IF the Government shuts down it is because of Democrats in the Senate.

Clearly you are NOT paying attention to the news.

And that was AFTER the first round of pay raises in the 70's, too. I remember that pay raise quite well.

It about doubled my monthly take home. (I was an E-2, then)

Then as I recall, we got another pay raise that about doubled our pathetic salaries in 72 or so..

FWIW, when I was an E-4 with over three years in service (my last year in uniform 1973) my ANNUAL salary was about $7,000.

I did okay with that income, thank's to BAQ... which as I recall gave me something like another $200 or so a month that was not taxable income.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back