Military Pay Halted....F'd up

the republicans ARE THE ONES that have been threatening a shut down. They have not passed the yearly Budget since they have been in office. Only a stop gap budget has been instituted. Yes the Democrats as well did not pass the Budget in October, as they should have either.

I was just thinking, perhaps the small government Republicans could give up some Homeland Security Department/military budget in exchange for the big government Democrats loading giving tax cuts equal to half the budget cuts.

Just in the spirit of cutting some deficit spending.

my my, with a google or two, this becomes clearer. It is the Tea Party members fighting with the GOP on passage of the budget and Stopgap.

(I think the GOP is starting to REGRET using the Tea Party as a branching off point upon which to get elected with.)

Conservatives reject GOP spending plan, threaten government shutdown

Republican leaders in Congress have been trying to avoid a government shutdown, but now conservative lawmakers–many of whom are freshmen affiliated with the tea party–are threatening those plans by vowing to vote against the latest bid to continue funding government operations via a continuing resolution. Many of the defectors argue that they won’t support extensions, such as the current proposal to fund the government another three weeks, because the stopgap measure only delay the eventual reckoning to come: Arriving at a permanent solution to the nation’s budget woes, while also addressing the broader economic crisis.

“I will no longer support short-term budget plans,” Florida GOP Sen. Marco Rubio announced Monday in a sharply worded release. “While attempts at new spending reductions are commendable, we simply can no longer afford to nickel-and-dime our way out of the dangerous debt America has amassed. It is time our leaders in Washington wake up and realize that we are headed for a debt disaster.”
Conservatives/Tea Party Threaten To Shut Down Government « Sky's Universal Predications

the tea party members are RIGHT imho....the piecemeal budgets mean nothing.....they need to put the defense budget on the table....we have been spending $400 BILLION A YEAR MORE on it then we did in 2000....

That's over $4 TRILLION that has been added to our national Debt.

Social security reform and medicare reform must be addressed as well, IF they want to truly address our budget deficits, and National debt.

Military personnel already give up so much. Pay and health benefits should not be among the things they do without.

Military personnel already give up so much. Pay and health benefits should not be among the things they do without.

it won't be.

compromise and passing the budget, will have to take place, if these suckers want to keep their jobs.

Alarmist nonsense, the military will be paid in the event of a shutdown. They were, last time.

The Examiner's accuracy and veracity has been called into question many times before.

my husband is a disabled vet. We rely on his disability check to survive....we have a lot at stake, as much as those in the Military now....

But without the threat of not paying the military and Vets, they could go the whole year not passing a budget and not addressing the issue of our deficit.

If I was still in the service I would refuse to come to work if I wasn't getting my paycheck, they could arrest me I don't care but I am not doing work for free, last time I checked slavery ended long ago in this country.

I hope your right but these are different times and a very different President..

idiot... if the government shuts down it's because the rightwingnut freaks want to shut it down.

if they're worried, they can act sanely.

but thanks for yet another troll thread.

I repeat for the amazingly STUPID, IGNORANT and SLOW. The House has passed Budget bills, the Senate refuses to even address them. So you piece of horseshit dumb ass, who is NOT addressing the BUDGET?

Love liberal partisan hacks. The only troll here is you.

they sent an irrational bill.

the senate isn't obligated to pass it.

and they can amend in conference committee...

for the braindead and imbecilic rightwingnut hacks.

you off your meds again?

Democrats just seem to what to hasten the drive over the cliff and continue payoffs to their special interests..That last 4+ years has easily proven that Democrats can't lead.

And just plain pisses me off...

I would hope all Americans would be up in arms, fit to be tied, totally pissed off, if this government is so F'd up that this could happen...just pathetic..

-------------------------:evil:

Military pay for soldiers in the US and abroad could be drastically affected should the government experience a budgetary shutdown in the coming days.

With hundreds of thousands of active, reserve, and national guard military personnel providing front line, or support functions for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a stoppage in pay would add additional stress to soliders, sailors, and airmen trying to focus on missons at hand.

While President Obama has stated that during a government shutdown, essential services would be paid and budgeted for, the fact that military expenditures make up such a large portion of the national budget would mean that halts in money would have to occur in many areas regardless of the President's overtures.

In an article on Friday from the Army Times, soldiers back in 1995 were not effected by the government shutdown, but this time circumstances are different, and pay would be halted even while men and women continue to fight in the active war zones.

https://www.examiner.com/finance-ex...-could-be-affected-with-a-government-shutdown

Or, it could be totally unaffected, just like it was the last time the government shutdown when Clinton was president.

I would hope all Americans would be up in arms, fit to be tied, totally pissed off, if this government is so F'd up that this could happen...just pathetic..

Military pay for soldiers in the US and abroad could be drastically affected should the government experience a budgetary shutdown in the coming days.

With hundreds of thousands of active, reserve, and national guard military personnel providing front line, or support functions for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a stoppage in pay would add additional stress to soliders, sailors, and airmen trying to focus on missons at hand.

While President Obama has stated that during a government shutdown, essential services would be paid and budgeted for, the fact that military expenditures make up such a large portion of the national budget would mean that halts in money would have to occur in many areas regardless of the President's overtures.

In an article on Friday from the Army Times, soldiers back in 1995 were not effected by the government shutdown, but this time circumstances are different, and pay would be halted even while men and women continue to fight in the active war zones.

https://www.examiner.com/finance-ex...-could-be-affected-with-a-government-shutdown

Fucking Bullshit. I would think folks on both sides of the aisle would be working to at least make sure our brave men and women get paid. This should've been made sure of long before those stupid ass hearings on Islam, and the emergency vote to defund NPR. Shows where the priorities are in this wonderful new congress. BTW, IDC if it's Democrats or Republicans or both that aren't at least making sure our Armed Forces are paid.. This is fucking bullshit.

Or, it could be totally unaffected, just like it was the last time the government shutdown when Clinton was president.

I fairly certain that if Democrats could find some way of blaming Republicans for the military not getting paid, they would throw the military under the bus in a second...

Is there any doubt that Democrats are desperate for holding or reclaiming power and would screw anyone or any group that stands in their way..

I get it lumpy. You think the Military wouldn't be funded if radical lefties caused the government to shut down. It ain't gonna happen. Why not join up and find out?

I get it lumpy. You think the Military wouldn't be funded if radical lefties caused the government to shut down. It ain't gonna happen. Why not join up and find out?

I would if I could but alas.... old....:eusa_hand:

I have checked what I will be getting paid. 17,604$ (E-1 with 2 or less years of service) isn't (accidentally, added a extra "i", corrected I believe) exactly high-living, but eh. I didn't join the military to make money, or go to college. I joined to be in the military, and I guess this is another thing our recruiter can't say rocks about joining the military lol.

The only good thing I could see coming out of halting military pay is keeping people out who join for the paycheck, although I have yet to meet someone joining for the "big money" haha

~Edit~ I want to see how the recruiters react to this, because their having a insane time convincing people to join, they should say their getting rid of the GI Bill, doubt half the people joining from my school would stay in it.

~Edit~ Honestly, I don't know if I'd quit (yes I can quit as a DEP'er) even if they cut the pay in half. I mean, I just really want the military. I doubt I'd quit then, if they stopped doing the GI Bill and other benefits, I'd start to question it, but I doubt I'd quit, I'd probably serve my contract then just go to farming or something. I hope they don't freeze the pay, but if they do, I guess I'll have to live with it lol. Sorry, I know it's a weird way to look at it, but just trying to share my opinion.

Last edited:
Alarmist nonsense, the military will be paid in the event of a shutdown. They were, last time.

The Examiner's accuracy and veracity has been called into question many times before.

Really?

If government shuts down, so would troop pay

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Mar 11, 2011 12:08:58 EST

U.S. troops could be required to report to work without pay if a budget clash in Congress results in a government-wide shutdown, according to draft planning guidance circulating in the Pentagon.

A shutdown could happen as early as next week, as the government is set to run out of money at midnight March 17. A bill that would keep the government operating temporarily has been prepared in the House of Representatives, but it is not clear when or if it might pass.

The government has been operating under a series of temporary appropriations, known as continuing resolutions, since Oct. 1 because of lawmakers’ inability to agree on how much money to provide federal agencies. Budget discussions have become increasingly complicated since the November general elections resulted in a divided legislature, with Republicans controlling the House and Democrats controlling the Senate.

When the government was shut down in 1995, military personnel continued to report to work and were paid, but the planning guidance sent to the services and defense agencies says a shutdown this time will be different.

“All military personnel will continue in normal duty status regardless of their affiliation with exempt or non-exempt activities,” says the draft planning guidance that was prepared for the services and defense agencies. “Military personnel will serve without pay until such time as Congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for this period of service.”

If government shuts down, so would troop pay - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Yanno.......I was stationed in Newport RI at the Naval War College when it happened. For 3 weeks, the civilians all went home, and we carried the load while they were gone.

Oh yeah.....it also took 3 weeks to get our paychecks (back pay we were owed) and there were lots of people contacting Navy Relief to see if they could get loans for rent.

Nope......and what's worse.......if the government shuts down........that means veterans who are retired (like me) won't get their check, and people like my roomie won't get their unemployment benefits.

Wanna see a French Revolution against the rich? Let the GOP shut down the government.

Really?

If government shuts down, so would troop pay

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Mar 11, 2011 12:08:58 EST

U.S. troops could be required to report to work without pay if a budget clash in Congress results in a government-wide shutdown, according to draft planning guidance circulating in the Pentagon.

A shutdown could happen as early as next week, as the government is set to run out of money at midnight March 17. A bill that would keep the government operating temporarily has been prepared in the House of Representatives, but it is not clear when or if it might pass.

The government has been operating under a series of temporary appropriations, known as continuing resolutions, since Oct. 1 because of lawmakers’ inability to agree on how much money to provide federal agencies. Budget discussions have become increasingly complicated since the November general elections resulted in a divided legislature, with Republicans controlling the House and Democrats controlling the Senate.

When the government was shut down in 1995, military personnel continued to report to work and were paid, but the planning guidance sent to the services and defense agencies says a shutdown this time will be different.

“All military personnel will continue in normal duty status regardless of their affiliation with exempt or non-exempt activities,” says the draft planning guidance that was prepared for the services and defense agencies. “Military personnel will serve without pay until such time as Congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for this period of service

If government shuts down, so would troop pay - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Yanno.......I was stationed in Newport RI at the Naval War College when it happened. For 3 weeks, the civilians all went home, and we carried the load while they were gone.

Oh yeah.....it also took 3 weeks to get our paychecks (back pay we were owed) and there were lots of people contacting Navy Relief to see if they could get loans for rent.

Nope......and what's worse.......if the government shuts down........that means veterans who are retired (like me) won't get their check, and people like my roomie won't get their unemployment benefits.

Wanna see a French Revolution against the rich? Let the GOP shut down the government.

Why would you blame the GOP?... If the Democrats had passed a budget last year we wouldn't be in this mess. Democrats and memory loss.. sheesh..

Forum List

Back