Military Pay Halted....F'd up

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
And just plain pisses me off...

I would hope all Americans would be up in arms, fit to be tied, totally pissed off, if this government is so F'd up that this could happen...just pathetic..

-------------------------:evil:

Military pay for soldiers in the US and abroad could be drastically affected should the government experience a budgetary shutdown in the coming days.

With hundreds of thousands of active, reserve, and national guard military personnel providing front line, or support functions for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a stoppage in pay would add additional stress to soliders, sailors, and airmen trying to focus on missons at hand.

While President Obama has stated that during a government shutdown, essential services would be paid and budgeted for, the fact that military expenditures make up such a large portion of the national budget would mean that halts in money would have to occur in many areas regardless of the President's overtures.

In an article on Friday from the Army Times, soldiers back in 1995 were not effected by the government shutdown, but this time circumstances are different, and pay would be halted even while men and women continue to fight in the active war zones.

https://www.examiner.com/finance-ex...-could-be-affected-with-a-government-shutdown

The way i see it stop the payment of everyone in the government before you stop the payment to our military!

fucking halt all aid to all other countries...and stop paying for UN wars!

Its total bullshit!

It's extremely unlikely that the Vets will not get paid.

the pay is so small, that anyone in office would get an organised boot out.
the backlash from former servicemen and many civilians, if not most, would be to much for any pol to recover from

I'd also like to say they are armed to the teeth, but Honor and Duty play strong roles in the life of servicemen. So I know they would continue to serve with Honor, hoping that back-pay catches up and bill collectors can wait.

From 1979 to 1995 every time the Government threatened to shut down the military got told they may not get paid. Under Reagan it happened several times. They always managed to pay us.

Just remember, IF the Government shuts down it is because of Democrats in the Senate.

From 1979 to 1995 every time the Government threatened to shut down the military got told they may not get paid. Under Reagan it happened several times. They always managed to pay us.

Just remember, IF the Government shuts down it is because of Democrats in the Senate.

I hope your right but these are different times and a very different President..

Uhm, not really. It will be the Repubs who will shut it down, just like before.

Good article on the subject from Centered Politics:

Government Shut Down? Boehner Will Blink Or Republicans Will Lose

The center of the American electorate is decidedly moderate and uncomfortable with both conflict and dramatic policy changes. A recent Gallup survey finds the public favoring compromise over conflict on the budget by a 2 to 1 margin.

1. The Republicans are sending a clear message that, just like the Democrats in 1993 and 2009, they have priorities that are higher than fixing the economy and creating jobs.

2. Shutting down the government and changing public employee union work rules does little to create jobs.

3. The President is, and all Democrats should be, sending the message that they too support deep reductions in government spending, especially reforms to the big programs over the longer term.

The public may hate “government spending” but they strongly support Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, national defense, the National Parks, education – and when you list it out, just about everything the government spends money on.

The public wants the security of knowing someone is inspecting the meat they feed their families and they would rather see more, not fewer, meat inspectors working for the USDA. The public is hopeful that cures for major diseases will be found and global epidemics will not spread illness throughout this country, so they would like to see spending for the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control increase rather than decrease. They certainly will not want to see these health workers off the job on a furlough.

A recent PEW survey listed 18 categories of spending and did not find majority support for decreasing spending in a single one. By 62% to 11% the public wants to increase rather than decrease spending for education (the spending category at the center of the Wisconsin dispute). The only category of government spending where meaningfully more people want to decrease spending (45%) than increase spending (21%) is foreign aid, a very small budget category that most people incorrectly believe is far larger than it should be. In yet another low for petty partisanship, last weekend, with popular uprisings spreading across the Middle East some Republicans even criticized Obama for having reduced spending on democracy building programs in Egypt.

Government Shut Down? Boehner Will Blink Or Republicans Will Lose | CenteredPolitics

They need to get it together or they'll all be thrown out next time..

The government shutdown will be a Republican decision as it was when Newt was the ringleader. It isn't good strategy.

Look you democratic stooge the Republicans were elected to rein in costs. To bring down the budget and to stop the trillion and half billion deficits. The Senate refuses to even consider cuts. It will most definitely be the Democrats in the Senate that force a shut down.

As you turds told us when the Dems won in 2008 , elections have consequences. The Republicans won get over it. If I were the GOP I would be flooding the air waves right now with the reality that a few Democratic Senators are trying to force the American people to suffer another trillion and half deficit and that THEY not the House are DIRECTLY responisble for any shut down of the Government.

Reality is that the House HAS done its job, it has passed budget bills, the Dems in the Senate REFUSE to do so. If I ran the GOP I would be publishing that fact over and over even if I had to do an end run around the Liberal press and buy advertising.

Look you democratic stooge the Republicans were elected to rein in costs. To bring down the budget and to stop the trillion and half billion deficits. The Senate refuses to even consider cuts. It will most definitely be the Democrats in the Senate that force a shut down.

As you turds told us when the Dems won in 2008 , elections have consequences. The Republicans won get over it. If I were the GOP I would be flooding the air waves right now with the reality that a few Democratic Senators are trying to force the American people to suffer another trillion and half deficit and that THEY not the House are DIRECTLY responisble for any shut down of the Government.

Reality is that the House HAS done its job, it has passed budget bills, the Dems in the Senate REFUSE to do so. If I ran the GOP I would be publishing that fact over and over even if I had to do an end run around the Liberal press and buy advertising.

The more moderate of the Repubs will save the extremists from themselves. There won't be a shutdown.

The more moderate of the Repubs will save the extremists from themselves. There won't be a shutdown.

Which House has done its job? Which one has passed Budget bills? Go ahead you blind partisan tell us of the Senate budget bills?

I hope your right but these are different times and a very different President..

idiot... if the government shuts down it's because the rightwingnut freaks want to shut it down.

if they're worried, they can act sanely.

but thanks for yet another troll thread.

The way i see it stop the payment of everyone in the government before you stop the payment to our military!

fucking halt all aid to all other countries...and stop paying for UN wars!

Its total bullshit!

All federal workers will get furloughed and all aid will cease. What are you complaining about if the soldiers will still get paid? Even if they don't it will be made up after the budget crisis is over.

idiot... if the government shuts down it's because the rightwingnut freaks want to shut it down.

I repeat for the amazingly STUPID, IGNORANT and SLOW. The House has passed Budget bills, the Senate refuses to even address them. So you piece of horseshit dumb ass, who is NOT addressing the BUDGET?

Love liberal partisan hacks. The only troll here is you.

I would hope all Americans would be up in arms, fit to be tied, totally pissed off, if this government is so F'd up that this could happen...just pathetic..

Military pay for soldiers in the US and abroad could be drastically affected should the government experience a budgetary shutdown in the coming days.

With hundreds of thousands of active, reserve, and national guard military personnel providing front line, or support functions for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a stoppage in pay would add additional stress to soliders, sailors, and airmen trying to focus on missons at hand.

While President Obama has stated that during a government shutdown, essential services would be paid and budgeted for, the fact that military expenditures make up such a large portion of the national budget would mean that halts in money would have to occur in many areas regardless of the President's overtures.

In an article on Friday from the Army Times, soldiers back in 1995 were not effected by the government shutdown, but this time circumstances are different, and pay would be halted even while men and women continue to fight in the active war zones.

https://www.examiner.com/finance-ex...-could-be-affected-with-a-government-shutdown

Gee that's terrible.

The military personnel ought to start a UNION to protect them from such egregious behavior.

Uhm, not really. It will be the Repubs who will shut it down, just like before.

How long have the dems had controll? How long have we gone w/o a budget?

It will be the fault of Congress, a dem controled Congress.

Gee that's terrible.

The military personnel ought to start a UNION to protect them from such egregious behavior.

They are not allowed.

uhhhhhhh, from all the I have read on it, it is the GOP that has threatened the shut down.... the House holds the purse strings, they are lead by the GOP, and they should pass a budget.

I repeat for the amazingly STUPID, IGNORANT and SLOW. The House has passed Budget bills, the Senate refuses to even address them. So you piece of horseshit dumb ass, who is NOT addressing the BUDGET?

Love liberal partisan hacks. The only troll here is you.

The truth is neither side is persuasive enough or has enough leverage to get the other to pass its bill, yet.

Obviously folks with different agendas do not WANT to vote for the other guy's bill. This is news but not exciting. Has happened before in my life.

Forum List

Back