Military operation for pirate mop-up! Agree or Disagree?

xomputer

Rookie
Dec 9, 2008
Since one of the bullets discovered from the captain during the pirating of the Korean ship by the Somali pirates, some citizens are questioning the government and military that the operation was excessive and ignoring the undiscriminatory shooting by the pirates.
Considering that the rescue operation took place at dawn, and shooting between the rescue operatives and pirates happened in complete darkness, one might say that nagging over one bullet is perhaps not the most reasonable course of action.
All crewmen were rescued without harm, and teh captain Seok was also rescued and alive.
This alone proves the fact that the Korean UDT/SEAL members executed the mission handsomely.
So poeple should not be blaming the rescue operation instead of praising it.
2 days ago, another North Korean ship was kidnapped by pirates again. In order to exterminate pirating, interantional community must deal with strong military operations even if it means taking risks.

Only way to effect the Somali Pirates would be to destroy every boat in Somali. That would mean hitting every inch of the coast line and destroying every coastal village and town.

A better idea would be to recognize a Government and then get international help in establishing that Government over the entire Country. But that won't happen, Somali has nothing anyone wants.

I don't see how they affect as much as other problems. I mean, I'm more worried about North Korea attacking South Korea, then Somali pirates. I guess it'd be a good idea to go after them, but it would be like fighting insurgents, we can only do so much, people have to fight for their own nation for it to work.

My Grandson recently returned from an 8 month tour aboard the USS Forrest Sherman on Pirate patrol duty north of Somalia. We are active in the area....

Why can't the ships just arm themselves and protect themselves. Or hire Mercs to ride along and protect them? Why use military ie taxpayer forces to protect private enterprise not in our national waters?

Why can't the ships just arm themselves and protect themselves. Or hire Mercs to ride along and protect them? Why use military ie taxpayer forces to protect private enterprise not in our national waters?

I read somewhere that Mercs could get shipping companies in trouble by firing on "suspected" pirates...

The operation was an example of the kind mission SEALS were trained for and it stands as an example of the way it should be done.

recommended read on the subject: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Coast-Jefferson-Marines-Mission/dp/1401300030]Amazon.com: The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805 (9781401300036): Richard Zacks: Books[/ame]

Fighting pirates and keeping the shipping lanes open and safe has always been a mission of the Navy.

I only question why the US, once again has to bear the brunt of the mission in an area that is of little strategic importance to the US

Yeah....The Gulf of Aden is, like, soooooooo nowhere!

Who, like, needs all those oil tankers coming and going from and to Saudi Arabia?

duh.gif

Forum List

Back