Military incompetence-aren't superior officers responsible for what lower ranks do?

Contessa_Sharra

Searcher for Accuracy
Apr 27, 2008
In Hasan case, superiors ignored their own worries - Yahoo! News

By RICHARD LARDNER, Associated Press Writer Richard Lardner, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – A Defense Department review of the shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, has found the doctors overseeing Maj. Nidal Hasan's medical training repeatedly voiced concerns over his strident views on Islam and his inappropriate behavior, yet continued to give him positive performance evaluations that kept him moving through the ranks.

The picture emerging from the review ordered by Defense Secretary Robert Gates is one of supervisors who failed to heed their own warnings about an officer ill-suited to be an Army psychiatrist, according to information gathered during the internal Pentagon investigation and obtained by The Associated Press. The review has not been publicly released.

Hasan, 39, is accused of murdering 13 people on Nov. 5 at Fort Hood, the worst killing spree on a U.S. military base.

What remains unclear is why Hasan would be advanced in spite of all the worries over his competence. That is likely to be the subject of a more detailed accounting by the department. Recent statistics show the Army rarely blocks junior officers from promotion, especially in the medical corps.

Hasan showed no signs of being violent or a threat. But parallels have been drawn between the missed signals in his case and those preceding the thwarted Christmas attempt to blow up a Detroit-bound U.S. airliner. President Barack Obama and his top national security aides have acknowledged they had intelligence about the alleged bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, but failed to connect the dots.

The Defense Department review is not intended to delve into allegations Hasan corresponded by e-mail with Yemen-based radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki before the attack. Those issues are part of a separate criminal investigation by law enforcement officials.

In telling episodes from the latter stages of Hasan's lengthy medical education in the Washington, D.C., area, he gave a class presentation questioning whether the U.S.-led war on terror was actually a war on Islam. And fellow students said he suggested that Shariah, or Islamic law, trumped the Constitution and he attempted to justify suicide bombings.

Yet no one in Hasan's chain of command appears to have challenged his eligibility to hold a secret security clearance even though they could have because the statements raised doubt about his loyalty to the United States. Had they, Hasan's fitness to serve as an Army officer may have been called into question long before he reported to Fort Hood.

Instead, in July 2009, Hasan arrived in central Texas, his secret clearance intact, his reputation as a weak performer well known, and Army authorities believing that posting him at such a large facility would mask his shortcomings.

By RICHARD LARDNER, Associated Press Writer Richard Lardner, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – A Defense Department review of the shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, has found the doctors overseeing Maj. Nidal Hasan's medical training repeatedly voiced concerns over his strident views on Islam and his inappropriate behavior, yet continued to give him positive performance evaluations that kept him moving through the ranks.

The picture emerging from the review ordered by Defense Secretary Robert Gates is one of supervisors who failed to heed their own warnings about an officer ill-suited to be an Army psychiatrist, according to information gathered during the internal Pentagon investigation and obtained by The Associated Press. The review has not been publicly released.

Hasan, 39, is accused of murdering 13 people on Nov. 5 at Fort Hood, the worst killing spree on a U.S. military base.

What remains unclear is why Hasan would be advanced in spite of all the worries over his competence. That is likely to be the subject of a more detailed accounting by the department. Recent statistics show the Army rarely blocks junior officers from promotion, especially in the medical corps.

Hasan showed no signs of being violent or a threat. But parallels have been drawn between the missed signals in his case and those preceding the thwarted Christmas attempt to blow up a Detroit-bound U.S. airliner. President Barack Obama and his top national security aides have acknowledged they had intelligence about the alleged bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, but failed to connect the dots.

The Defense Department review is not intended to delve into allegations Hasan corresponded by e-mail with Yemen-based radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki before the attack. Those issues are part of a separate criminal investigation by law enforcement officials.

In telling episodes from the latter stages of Hasan's lengthy medical education in the Washington, D.C., area, he gave a class presentation questioning whether the U.S.-led war on terror was actually a war on Islam. And fellow students said he suggested that Shariah, or Islamic law, trumped the Constitution and he attempted to justify suicide bombings.

Yet no one in Hasan's chain of command appears to have challenged his eligibility to hold a secret security clearance even though they could have because the statements raised doubt about his loyalty to the United States. Had they, Hasan's fitness to serve as an Army officer may have been called into question long before he reported to Fort Hood.

Instead, in July 2009, Hasan arrived in central Texas, his secret clearance intact, his reputation as a weak performer well known, and Army authorities believing that posting him at such a large facility would mask his shortcomings.

Here's the scoop as I remember it....in the (what the Navy calls) fleet officer corps, it's pretty easy to make it up to 0-3 unless you are a total screw up....and of course, it always depends on what we call "the needs of the Navy". During a time where there is more of a need for mid-level officers, promotion is easier...

Now, in the staff corps, such as medical, it relies more on their professional education and again..."the needs of the Navy(Army)". Military bearing, military behavior is secondary and if there was a shortage of Army shrinks (which I can see with all the cases coming back from the ME), there would have a lot more 'slipping thru the cracks' going on.

Does that excuse what happened? No.

Here's the scoop as I remember it....in the (what the Navy calls) fleet officer corps, it's pretty easy to make it up to 0-3 unless you are a total screw up....and of course, it always depends on what we call "the needs of the Navy". During a time where there is more of a need for mid-level officers, promotion is easier...

Now, in the staff corps, such as medical, it relies more on their professional education and again..."the needs of the Navy(Army)". Military bearing, military behavior is secondary and if there was a shortage of Army shrinks (which I can see with all the cases coming back from the ME), there would have a lot more 'slipping thru the cracks' going on.

Does that excuse what happened? No.

Yep since Iraq started up the demand for Psych types in the military has been extrememly high. And they still need more. So I expect they let the guy slide.

As you said though, no excuse.

There seems to be a lot of not paying attention going around these days, or maybe, as long as the checks are deposited on time, they mostly just don't care!

Of course it wouldn't be Political Correctness that kept his evals doing well would it?
We cannot offend anyone or their beliefs or worse yet, 'make a scene', can we?

The tragedy is that there are families without their loved ones all because of plain old' bullchit'. It won't be the last either as long as we keep doing the same old crap. Our enemies couldn't hope for anything better.

Of course it wouldn't be Political Correctness that kept his evals doing well would it?

The tragedy is that there are families without their loved ones all because of plain old' bullchit'. It won't be the last either as long as we keep doing the same old crap. Our enemies couldn't hope for anything better.

To tell the truth, in my 21 years, I never saw "political correctness" in an eval/fitrep. Needs always came first. Now, perhaps in the heads of his superiors.....but if you want my opinion, needing Shrinks would have been more of an influence on pushing him on. That's my opinion of the process.

To tell the truth, in my 21 years, I never saw "political correctness" in an eval/fitrep. Needs always came first. Now, perhaps in the heads of his superiors.....but if you want my opinion, needing Shrinks would have been more of an influence on pushing him on. That's my opinion of the process.

I agree, I never seen 'PC' influencing any evaluation either, but times are changing so quickly I am beginning to have some doubts. Hopefully the answer is a resounding no.
As far as superior officers or superiors, the president has had another wakeup call for he is the 'buck stops here' guy.
I wouldn't take his job for a lousy 400K/year, but the bennies......hmmmmm, I'll get back to ya's.

Forum List

Back