Military imposters

All the complaining online about military imposters and stolen valor... etc. If someone wants to play dress up and pretend to have been part of the military then let them! Thats their problem, they have their own issues to deal with clearly. But dont need to be an asshole and call people out on it. For all you know they could of tried to get into the army/navy/marine etc and couldnt because of a health condition or some stupid minor exclusion that they cant fight for their country and do what they've always wanted to do. So let them feel better about themselves and pretend to be one if it makes them happy. Clearly they always wanted to and if it gives them the attention they wanted out in public then so be it, its not harming anyone other then some uptight people who take it too personal. On the other hand if you try and impersonate a uniformed officer for terrorism/crimes or anything bad like that then thats a different story, obviously thats not okay. But no harm no foul for a guy dressing up and going to starbucks or running a few errands because he wants to get some attention here and there and feel good about himself. Stop being so judgemental.

Last edited:
All the complaining online about military imposters and stolen valor... etc. If someone wants to play dress up and pretend to have been part of the military then let them! Thats their problem, they have their own issues to deal with clearly. But dont need to be an asshole and call people out on it. For all you know they could of tried to get into the army/navy/marine etc and couldnt because of a health condition or some stupid minor exclusion that they cant fight for their country and do what they've always wanted to do. So let them feel better about themselves and pretend to be one if it makes them happy. Clearly they always wanted to and if it gives them the attention they wanted out in public then so be it, its not harming anyone other then some uptight people who take it too personal. On the other hand if you try and impersonate a uniformed officer for terrorism/crimes or anything bad like that then thats a different story, obviously thats not okay. But no harm no foul for a guy dressing up and going to starbucks or running a few errands because he wants to get some attention here and there and feel good about himself. Stop being so judgemental.

I used to put on a tu-tu, walk around, claiming I was a Ballet Star. At 270lbs, not many believed me. Until one day I was jumped buy a troupe of female ballet dancers and got my butt kicked. You haven't felt pain until a buck and a nickle ballet star perote on your left nut. (sob)

What of real veterans being accused of being imposters or posers?

What of real veterans being accused of being imposters or posers?

I have received this type of treatment. Usually, the agressor has an agenda that you threaten. Usually, it's a half baked and dangerous Edic. They us hatred to control. It becomes a witch hunt. These people feel they have control over something and would tear it to the ground before they remiss. My way of dealing with this is.......

If you are willing to burn this to the ground, here, let me provide the match. The sad part is, it's way too easy to find out if a person actually served. They won't accept that. They are too busy bullying everyone until only those "Terrorists" are left. Better to burn it to the ground at that point.

where's bullkurtz when you need him?

The worst at this was a person that decided that HE should make all the rules and a few others of like mind became his menions. The second worst was a military fake that claimed to be all kinds of things including Green Beret, shot down a Russian M-24E during the war in Afganistan in 1979 with a 7.62 rifle and he claimed to be a Lt. Col stationed all over the place. Then he screwed up and claimed to have 5 purple hearts. I don't know of anyone with 5 of those things. I know of a few with 3, a Silver Star and a desk job. Audy Murphy had 3, a Silver and a few others. But not 5 purple hearts.

The worst at this was a person that decided that HE should make all the rules and a few others of like mind became his menions. The second worst was a military fake that claimed to be all kinds of things including Green Beret, shot down a Russian M-24E during the war in Afganistan in 1979 with a 7.62 rifle and he claimed to be a Lt. Col stationed all over the place. Then he screwed up and claimed to have 5 purple hearts. I don't know of anyone with 5 of those things. I know of a few with 3, a Silver Star and a desk job. Audy Murphy had 3, a Silver and a few others. But not 5 purple hearts.
More than one have been awarded eight purple hearts. Audie Murphy had the medal of honor among his awards.

More than one have been awarded eight purple hearts. Audie Murphy had the medal of honor among his awards.

Let's have some names so we can verify it. Medal of Honor is NOT a purple heart. I suggest you read up on your claim before you make it. Audy Murphy as sidelined and awarded higher awards to go with those 3 Purple hearts. It's customary in the Military to get the person out of combat on the 3rd purple heart. Maybe it's superstition, I don't know but I know of a number of 3 time Purple heart recipients who also have at least a Silver Star who were taken out of combat. Now, name the persons that have recieved 8 purple hearts. And a Silver Star, Medal of Valor, Bronze Star, Medal of Valor, MOH and a couple more do NOT count as Purple Hearts.

Let's have some names so we can verify it. Medal of Honor is NOT a purple heart. I suggest you read up on your claim before you make it. Audy Murphy as sidelined and awarded higher awards to go with those 3 Purple hearts. It's customary in the Military to get the person out of combat on the 3rd purple heart. Maybe it's superstition, I don't know but I know of a number of 3 time Purple heart recipients who also have at least a Silver Star who were taken out of combat. Now, name the persons that have recieved 8 purple hearts. And a Silver Star, Medal of Valor, Bronze Star, Medal of Valor, MOH and a couple more do NOT count as Purple Hearts.
Most of know those medals do not count as purple hearts. I think the navy had a policy during Vietnam that after three purple hearts, the individual could opt out of combat. (remember the hubbub over Kerry.)
I don't know If the army followed that policy or not. I do know that even a bitten finger at one time could qualify for a purple heart. There is a rank to awards so which is higher a bronze star or purple heart?

Most of know those medals do not count as purple hearts. I think the navy had a policy during Vietnam that after three purple hearts, the individual could opt out of combat. (remember the hubbub over Kerry.)
I don't know If the army followed that policy or not. I do know that even a bitten finger at one time could qualify for a purple heart. There is a rank to awards so which is higher a bronze star or purple heart?

There are a number of F-105 pilots and Bombadeers that qualified for 3 purple and a Silver unless they were shot down. The AF had a policy of 3 purples (real ones, not a friggin paper cut) then the Silver and some kind of desk job or training stateside.

BTW, there is one and only one that recieved 6 purple hearts for a total of 37 Awards including the MOH. Joe Harper. Audey Murphy had a total of 36 with 3 purple hearts. Robert Howard had 8 purple hearts and a MOH.

The reason they started to get these folks out of combat whenever possible is that the normal soldier wouldn't stand next to them. The running joke as (Bullet Magnet). These folks made more sense to go home and be used as recruitment.

So, there were 3 with over 3 purples and all three also had the MOH, a couple or three Silvers, Meritorious Service Medal and a couple others. Kerry was a "Super" Naval Officer who was supposed to stay in the center of the channel. But he would see incoming fire, beach his boat, grab the 50 and empty it, then grab a M-16 and dive into the foilage. He was in combat on a swift boat for 4 or 5 months and recieved 3 purples, a Silver Star and the option float a desk or seperate. He chose seperation.

These were all Bullet Magnets. Not someone you wanted in your outfit. The enemy may be shooting at the bullet magnet and hit you instead.

To have 5 purples with no other awards to go with it is just plain unheard of. There are those that made that claim in the past but they were fakes.

Few people know what one has to go through, or what one has to accomplish to be able to have the privilege to wear the Military uniform.

Roads marches, written tests, hands on test, 4 mile and 5 mile runs, circuit training, flutter kicks , push ups, sit ups,
Guard duty, 16 and 18 hour days, fire guard, US and Foreign weapons , wear and care of the uniform , first aid ,nuclear- biological and chemical warfare, day and night.....weapons qualification - barracks inspection , brigade commanders inspection, " GI " the barracks ( clean from top to bottom ) ,
Tactical bivouac , react to ambush, defend tactical position of a day, defend a tactical position of a night.

And ect. - ect. - ect .

Someone impersonating US Military personnel, rightly should get their butt chewed. It is h**l going through boot camp. Graduation day makes it worthwhile though .

Shadow 355

Granny says, "Shame, shame on `em...
:eusa_eh:
Fraud Hunters Unmask Military Imposters
July 01, 2011 - Most wearing uniforms on July 4th have served honorably, but not all
If you were to attend a parade or musical celebration of the 235th anniversary of Americans’ declaration of independence today, you’d likely see lots of men and women in the uniforms of the United States military. Almost all of them are serving their country honorably and well. But a tiny percentage aren’t servicemen and women at all, or are wearing medals and other decorations that they did not earn. “Stolen valor,” some call such behavior.

Even prominent men and women have lied about their military service or decorations. And a good many of them have been exposed by a cadre of veterans who keep a look-out for imposters - particularly at holiday gatherings such as those on the 4th of July. One of the most determined military fraud hunters is Larry Bailey of Mount Vernon, Virginia. He is a retired Navy captain and SEAL. That’s the same elite Navy parachute and demolitions unit that swooped down and killed al-Qaeda terrorist leader Osama bin Laden in May.

Over several years, Bailey, who regretfully concludes that military fakery is rampant, has exposed a rogues’ gallery of military masqueraders that has included corporate executives and members of Congress. Some fakers did serve their nation honorably but could not resist dressing up their records with claims of battles they never fought, medals they never won, or tortures they never endured. For example, Bailey points to Joseph Ellis, a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian who admitted embellishing his resume by claiming to have served as a platoon leader in Vietnam. In truth, he spent the war at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York, teaching history.

And a few years ago, Los Angeles, California, Superior Court Judge Patrick Couwenberg was removed from the bench after falsely claiming to be a decorated Vietnam War veteran who worked undercover in Laos for the Central Intelligence Agency. Bailey says men often make up heroic war stories to impress women, to puff up their job credentials or because they think it will inspire youngsters such as Boy Scouts and military recruits. He says some people have lived their falsehoods so long that they could pass lie-detector tests about their stories.

Spource

Impersonating an enlisted member of the US Armed a Forces should be a federal felony - punishable by a minimum of 14 months incarceration and a $5,000 dollar fine.

Impersonation of a US Military Officer , should be a federal felony, punishable by a minimum of 18 months incarceration, and a $10,000 dollar fine.

Shadow 355

July 01, 2011 - Most wearing uniforms on July 4th have served honorably, but not all
If you were to attend a parade or musical celebration of the 235th anniversary of Americans’ declaration of independence today, you’d likely see lots of men and women in the uniforms of the United States military. Almost all of them are serving their country honorably and well. But a tiny percentage aren’t servicemen and women at all, or are wearing medals and other decorations that they did not earn. “Stolen valor,” some call such behavior.

Even prominent men and women have lied about their military service or decorations. And a good many of them have been exposed by a cadre of veterans who keep a look-out for imposters - particularly at holiday gatherings such as those on the 4th of July. One of the most determined military fraud hunters is Larry Bailey of Mount Vernon, Virginia. He is a retired Navy captain and SEAL. That’s the same elite Navy parachute and demolitions unit that swooped down and killed al-Qaeda terrorist leader Osama bin Laden in May.

Over several years, Bailey, who regretfully concludes that military fakery is rampant, has exposed a rogues’ gallery of military masqueraders that has included corporate executives and members of Congress. Some fakers did serve their nation honorably but could not resist dressing up their records with claims of battles they never fought, medals they never won, or tortures they never endured. For example, Bailey points to Joseph Ellis, a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian who admitted embellishing his resume by claiming to have served as a platoon leader in Vietnam. In truth, he spent the war at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York, teaching history.

And a few years ago, Los Angeles, California, Superior Court Judge Patrick Couwenberg was removed from the bench after falsely claiming to be a decorated Vietnam War veteran who worked undercover in Laos for the Central Intelligence Agency. Bailey says men often make up heroic war stories to impress women, to puff up their job credentials or because they think it will inspire youngsters such as Boy Scouts and military recruits. He says some people have lived their falsehoods so long that they could pass lie-detector tests about their stories.

Spource

Impersonating an enlisted member of the US Armed a Forces should be a federal felony - punishable by a minimum of 14 months incarceration and a $5,000 dollar fine.

Impersonation of a US Military Officer , should be a federal felony, punishable by a minimum of 18 months incarceration, and a $10,000 dollar fine.

Shadow 355

It was at one time. But the SCOTUS says you can claim to be anything you want to be. I agree that much of the military awards should be illegal. During the time that it was (a couple of short months) a lot of fakes disappeared from the internet after claiming all kinds of awards.

Now, about claiming to a Military Member

If you claim to be an enlisted you should be locked up in the nearest insane asylim. Afterall, who would claim to be enlisted when you could claim to be an occifer. Claiming to be an occifer should get you into therapy fast. Not something I would ever claim. Occifers, you don't need to send that person to an insane assylum, they are already claiming they were in one.

Just gidding, Occifers........

Spource

Shadow 355

It was at one time. But the SCOTUS says you can claim to be anything you want to be. I agree that much of the military awards should be illegal. During the time that it was (a couple of short months) a lot of fakes disappeared from the internet after claiming all kinds of awards.

If you claim to be an enlisted you should be locked up in the nearest insane asylim. Afterall, who would claim to be enlisted when you could claim to be an occifer. Claiming to be an occifer should get you into therapy fast. Not something I would ever claim. Occifers, you don't need to send that person to an insane assylum, they are already claiming they were in one.

Walk into court, and defend an accused person, on the pretense you are a lawyer.

Let the judge find out that you have never been to law school, and see what happens.

Tell him abou the SCOTUS decision and Military personnel.

I bet he still tells the baliff to lock you up.

Just making a point.

In Tennessee - it is a Felony :

2010 Tennessee Code :: Title 39 - Criminal Offenses :: Chapter 16 - Offenses Against Administration of Government :: :: Part 3 - False Personation :: :: 39-16-302 - Impersonation of licensed professional.

In Texas - It is also a felony
PENAL CODE CHAPTER 37. PERJURY AND OTHER FALSIFICATION

Yeah.......those Lawyers. :(

Shadow 355

Spource

Shadow 355

Walk into court, and defend an accused person, on the pretense you are a lawyer.

Let the judge find out that you have never been to law school, and see what happens.

Tell him abou the SCOTUS decision and Military personnel.

I bet he still tells the baliff to lock you up.

Just making a point.

In Tennessee - it is a Felony :

2010 Tennessee Code :: Title 39 - Criminal Offenses :: Chapter 16 - Offenses Against Administration of Government :: :: Part 3 - False Personation :: :: 39-16-302 - Impersonation of licensed professional.

In Texas - It is also a felony
PENAL CODE CHAPTER 37. PERJURY AND OTHER FALSIFICATION

Yeah.......those Lawyers. :(

Shadow 355

A Veteran is not licensed. Does not apply. And the ramifications of making such claim (I.E. Active Police or Lawyer) has some pretty nasty ramifications if people start believing your legal information. But it's my Congressional right to represent myself in any court as long as I state that I am a layman. There are a number of people that continously are successful in many court cases.

Like the Veteran (or ex servicemen or woman) there is no law that states I can't make the claim of being a retired Cop or Lawyer and tell all kinds of wild stories.

Cracking down on military imitators

Federal law - the Stolen Valor Act of 2013 - already prohibits misrepresentation as a current or former service member and recipient of decorations or medals such as the Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Purple Heart, or combat badge "with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit."

The act, which also imposes fines and prison of six months to a year, doesn't make lying about service a crime, and instead focuses on profiting from misrepresentation. An earlier version of the law was rejected by the Supreme Court as an infringement on free speech.

11752516_10204543959748284_3914206262602281109_n.jpg

Forum List

Back