Military imposters

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Granny says, "Shame, shame on `em...
:eusa_eh:
Fraud Hunters Unmask Military Imposters
July 01, 2011 - Most wearing uniforms on July 4th have served honorably, but not all
If you were to attend a parade or musical celebration of the 235th anniversary of Americans’ declaration of independence today, you’d likely see lots of men and women in the uniforms of the United States military. Almost all of them are serving their country honorably and well. But a tiny percentage aren’t servicemen and women at all, or are wearing medals and other decorations that they did not earn. “Stolen valor,” some call such behavior.

Even prominent men and women have lied about their military service or decorations. And a good many of them have been exposed by a cadre of veterans who keep a look-out for imposters - particularly at holiday gatherings such as those on the 4th of July. One of the most determined military fraud hunters is Larry Bailey of Mount Vernon, Virginia. He is a retired Navy captain and SEAL. That’s the same elite Navy parachute and demolitions unit that swooped down and killed al-Qaeda terrorist leader Osama bin Laden in May.

Over several years, Bailey, who regretfully concludes that military fakery is rampant, has exposed a rogues’ gallery of military masqueraders that has included corporate executives and members of Congress. Some fakers did serve their nation honorably but could not resist dressing up their records with claims of battles they never fought, medals they never won, or tortures they never endured. For example, Bailey points to Joseph Ellis, a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian who admitted embellishing his resume by claiming to have served as a platoon leader in Vietnam. In truth, he spent the war at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York, teaching history.

And a few years ago, Los Angeles, California, Superior Court Judge Patrick Couwenberg was removed from the bench after falsely claiming to be a decorated Vietnam War veteran who worked undercover in Laos for the Central Intelligence Agency. Bailey says men often make up heroic war stories to impress women, to puff up their job credentials or because they think it will inspire youngsters such as Boy Scouts and military recruits. He says some people have lived their falsehoods so long that they could pass lie-detector tests about their stories.

Spource

Read Stolen Valor by Burkett and Whitley. Military impersonation is nothing new. Even hollywood types faked service in the Military. It's easy for municipalities to check the records of alleged Veterans but they seldom do it until it is too late. The 9th circut US appeals court ruled that the 1st Amendment justifies civilian impersonation of US Veterans so it is a moot point.

Read Stolen Valor by Burkett and Whitley. Military impersonation is nothing new. Even hollywood types faked service in the Military. It's easy for municipalities to check the records of alleged Veterans but they seldom do it until it is too late. The 9th circut US appeals court ruled that the 1st Amendment justifies civilian impersonation of US Veterans so it is a moot point.

Do you have a link to this? Thanks.

I was manning a display table that had weapons from the French Indochina War (1945-54) and the Vietnam War (1965-71) laid across it when a large, portly gentleman bebopped up to our display, looked around, smiled and said, "I was in the Rangers man. I was with the D-boys in the Mog, dude!" Sensing bullshit, :eusa_hand: I asked him the most basic question of all: Thats cool, where did you go to basic training? He replied, "Man, I am not no infantry m-f'er, I'm a D-boy!" and then waddled off to another part of the veterans display area.

Last edited:

Do you have a link to this? Thanks.

Link? Google up "stolen valor" and then google up Alvarez stolen valor 9th circut. You will remember it better that way.

I was manning a display table that had weapons from the French Indochina War (1945-54) and the Vietnam War (1965-71) laid across it when a large, portly gentleman bebopped up to our display, looked around, smiled and said, "I was in the Rangers man. I was with the D-boys in the Mog, dude!" Sensing bullshit, :eusa_hand: I asked him the most basic question of all: Thats cool, where did you go to basic training? He replied, "Man, I am not no infantry m-f'er, I'm a D-boy!" and then waddled off to another part of the veterans display area.

What's a D-boy? I never heard of that before.

I couldn't fit into my old uniform.

LOL. Tell me about it. At least not into my Marine Corps Dress Blues. Now my Navy uniform, I might be able to squeeze into if I didn't mind being too uncomfortable to eat or drink.

As for impostors. Catch them if we can. I think there are probably more service members who fudge their service records, specifically combat records, than actual civilian impersonators. Given that it took 10 military personnel to support on grunt in the field during the Viet Nam era, we seem to have a plethora of "combat vets" talking about Charlie in the bush and never any typists or quartermasters who spent their entire time in Saigon.

Everyone who served their nation, regardless of capacity, is a hero in my eye. Only the civilians don't know the difference or recognize why they are so.

Straight from the recruiter's table to Special Operations.

I run into these "posers" all the time on PGR rides.

"Vietnam Vet" - they proclaim !

Most were MS3's on an LPD. 60 miles off coast

It seriously doesn't matter - if you served. You served. You don't need to make a big deal out of it.

I was on shore duty, 1990 - just got off of FIVE FREAKING YEARS arduous sea duty when Operation Desert Shield (?) was kicking in.

I loved my shore duty - every night (except duty nights) at home. It was my rotation.

But some asshole claiming he's a "war hero"

Shit - I sure as hell am not. Just served my country.

What's a D-boy? I never heard of that before.
A reference to Delta Force. A good book about them is "Blackhawk Down". The movie was awesome but the book is even better.

Oh, I heard of Delta. Never heard the D-boy thing before, though. I'm sure when fatty McGee went up to the recruiter, they saw his awesomeness, and immediately sent him to an elite unit, where he made the pew pew's with a 30mm GAU-8 strapped to his chest. Took down the SNA all by himself, he did... :cuckoo:

I couldn't fit into my old uniform.

Unfortunately, I have that same problem...tho I am proud to say that for the 21 years I was in, I still fit in my commissioning dress blues without alterations......afterwords, however....:eusa_whistle:

Yeah, age catches up with all of us eventually, even you younger people. It's a rare man or woman who hasn't added ten or twenty pounds since we were young. I stay in reasonably good shape for a man my age, and I know I have. I look at an old photo sometimes and think, "Is that me?". God, how young we all looked, forty years ago; but then, forty years ago, we WERE that young..Time sure passes faster than it used to.

^^^^^^

Fitted into my dress blues after being retired for 7 years. Thankfully I had left the uni hanging in the closet in a bag all that time so just had to update the ribbon rack and put it on.

I also opened up the ol' trunk and tried on my uniform.

The socks fit perfectly!

I got out in 74.

I could still fit into my uniforms.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, boys.

I can, however, understand if you hate me because I don't have to work on it, though.

Some of us are just genetically luckier than others.

Last edited:

WTF is a D-boy????

Is that an LA gang???

I got out in 74.

I could still fit into my uniforms.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, boys.

I can, however, understand if you hate me because I don't have to work on it, though.

Some of us are just genetically luckier than others.

...or are cultivating a tapeworm! :eek:

Forum List

Back