Military Experience Worthy of Deferring To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deaddude

Apr 27, 2004
One can disagree with the president sending them off to war, but still be saddened when one of them dies. One can think that think that the war was sold to the American people with misinformation, and still be happy when we hear of captured insurgents and rescued hostages. In short one can lament the fact that they are there at all, but celebrate the accomplishments we achieve while we remain.

deaddude said:
One can disagree with the president sending them off to war, but still be saddened when one of them dies. One can think that think that the war was sold to the American people with misinformation, and still be happy when we hear of captured insurgents and rescued hostages. In short one can lament the fact that they are there at all, but celebrate the accomplishments we achieve while we remain.

You NOT supporting troops---your are merely and emotional bystander who would feel bad if any joe blow was hurt.

And if a democratic president sent us to a war that conservatives did not like, I would be surprised if this argument were not reversed. Maybe not by you and me, but from what I have seen of partizen politics, most people will use the arguments that best suit their cause at the time, even if they supported the exact opposite in the past.

deaddude said:

I'm curious dude,

What do you say to the career soldier who not only volunteered to go but has gone back for numerous tours because after being there and getting to know the people he helped liberate he knows that he and his country are doing the right thing? He also has the utmost respect and genuine love for his Commander In Chief who he knows is the real thing not some used car salesman like the last President. Do you call him a naive idiot that doesn't know the real story, or do you think he is just another warmonger that just gets off on killing innocent civilians for fun?

sitarro said:
I'm curious dude,

What do you say to the career soldier who not only volunteered to go but has gone back for numerous tours because after being there and getting to know the people he helped liberate he knows that he and his country are doing the right thing? He also has the utmost respect and genuine love for his Commander In Chief who he knows is the real thing not some used car salesman like the last President. Do you call him a naive idiot that doesn't know the real story, or do you think he is just another warmonger that just gets off on killing innocent civilians for fun?

You phrase the question in such an unbiased manner Sitarro :D

I have nothing but respect for the soldiers fighting over seas. He is entitled to his oppinions as much as I am, and I politely agree to disagree with him on matters of politics and so bring up sports.

So how about george mason in the final four, crazy isn't it.

deaddude said:
You phrase the question in such an unbiased manner Sitarro :D

I have nothing but respect for the soldiers fighting over seas. He is entitled to his oppinions as much as I am, and I politely agree to disagree with him on matters of politics and so bring up sports.

So how about george mason in the final four, crazy isn't it.

Who the hell is George Mason, I am talking about real men in the real world, not some body that plays a silly game?
Who gives a shit about some team sport? Someone will win this meaningless contest and nothing will be different, they will just start the same boring ass games all over again, nothing is accomplished......and grown men wearing stupid costumes like those worn by baskerball players, pathetic. :puke3:

You asked me how would respond to a bush supporting soldier. I responded that I would try to steer tthe subject off of politics and have a freindly conversation. Despite your disdain for sporting events, those events remain popular with members of both conservative and liberal ideologies and so could easily foster a non antagonistic conversation between me and the soldier you described.

deaddude said:
You asked me how would respond to a bush supporting soldier. I responded that I would try to steer tthe subject off of politics and have a freindly conversation. Despite your disdain for sporting events, those events remain popular with members of both conservative and liberal ideologies and so could easily foster a non antagonistic conversation between me and the soldier you described.

So you would support our troops by refusing to talk with them about their accomplishments while risking their lives? Easy dude--you might give em a big head.

deaddude said:

I find it just a little bit telling that with all that I said to describe that fictional soldier you just describe him as a Bush supporting soldier. I would think that being a self proclaimed progressive and tolerant of all except President Bush and his cabinet, and anyone that has core moral beliefs, you would take this opportunity to learn from someone who has gone back numerous times.

Wouldn't you have any questions for a career soldier that believes in what he is doing so much that he would ask to be sent back 3 times? I can't believe that a true intellectual wouldn't want to know the truth but instead would rather depend on the Sean Penns and Al Frankens for there rediculously biased and flat out assinine opinions.

I would bet you could have had a real conversation about the job he is doing in Iraq without ever bringing up politics.

sitarro said:
I find it just a little bit telling that with all that I said to describe that fictional soldier you just describe him as a Bush supporting soldier. I would think that being a self proclaimed progressive and tolerant of all except President Bush and his cabinet, and anyone that has core moral beliefs, you would take this opportunity to learn from someone who has gone back numerous times.

Ok I will ignore the insinuation that I am not tolerant of anyone with core moral values (also I dont think I have ever called myself a progressive you may want to check your intellegence on that one), and take the "learning from a soldier who beleives in what he is doing" bit. Provided the situation demands we talk about the war, I would listen politely to the reasons he believes in what he is doing, think on them, and then I would share the reason why think that the war was a mistake. Let him rebutt and then leave. I would try to avoid this conversation simply to avoid antagonizing someone who I respect (and who in all likelyhood has a shit load of combat training.)

Wouldn't you have any questions for a career soldier that believes in what he is doing so much that he would ask to be sent back 3 times? I can't believe that a true intellectual wouldn't want to know the truth but instead would rather depend on the Sean Penns and Al Frankens for there rediculously biased and flat out assinine opinions.

Everyone has bias, yours is practically dripping in almost every word. I wonder if you believe that the Ann Coulters of the world are biased. The soldier has more real life experience to back up his oppinion which gives that oppinion more weight than the oppinions of the Ann Coulters and Al Frankens.
So yes I would listen to what he has to say and think about it, what more can one ask.

I would bet you could have had a real conversation about the job he is doing in Iraq without ever bringing up politics.

Iraq is probably the single biggest political issue right now. I suppose it would be possible to discuss it with out bringing up politics but such a dissusion would be incomplete without covering the political and diplomatic impact that the war has had.

Lastly I would ask you how you would deal with a soldier who served a double tour in Iraq, who believes that going into Iraq in the first place was a mistake.

deaddude said:
Ok I will ignore the insinuation that I am not tolerant of anyone with core moral values (also I dont think I have ever called myself a progressive you may want to check your intellegence on that one), and take the "learning from a soldier who beleives in what he is doing" bit. Provided the situation demands we talk about the war, I would listen politely to the reasons he believes in what he is doing, think on them, and then I would share the reason why think that the war was a mistake. Let him rebutt and then leave. I would try to avoid this conversation simply to avoid antagonizing someone who I respect (and who in all likelyhood has a shit load of combat training.)

Everyone has bias, yours is practically dripping in almost every word. I wonder if you believe that the Ann Coulters of the world are biased. The soldier has more real life experience to back up his oppinion which gives that oppinion more weight than the oppinions of the Ann Coulters and Al Frankens.
So yes I would listen to what he has to say and think about it, what more can one ask.

Iraq is probably the single biggest political issue right now. I suppose it would be possible to discuss it with out bringing up politics but such a dissusion would be incomplete without covering the political and diplomatic impact that the war has had.

Lastly I would ask you how you would deal with a soldier who served a double tour in Iraq, who believes that going into Iraq in the first place was a mistake.

So you would avoid the conversation not to antagonize someone you respect?

Like patronizing a retarded child? Do you see your level of condescension? You're disgusting.

No, not like patronizing a retarded child. RWA. I would avoid the conversation simply to avoid confrontation. It is called not looking for a fight, and if the other guy has military training than I at least consider it wisdom.

No, not like patronizing a retarded child RWA. I would avoid the conversation simply to avoid confrontation. It is called not looking for a fight with a guy who has military training.

deaddude said:
No, not like patronizing a retarded child. RWA. I would avoid the conversation simply to avoid confrontation. It is called not looking for a fight, and if the other guy has military training than I at least consider it wisdom.

It is patronizing. Your underlying assumption is of course that you're right and he's wrong, and you're doing something noble by refusing to engage him. Maybe he would WANT a chance to convince your ignorant closeminded ass of something.

rtwngAvngr said:
It is patronizing. Your underlying assumption is of course that you're right and he's wrong, and you're doing something noble by refusing to engage him. Maybe he would WANT a chance to convince your ignorant closeminded ass of something.

No, you are assumeing my underlying assumption. My assumption is that I do not want to pick a fight with a guy who could in all likelyhood snap my neck like a wishbone, and if he wants to teach my "ignorant closeminded ass" (I find this choice of words incredibly funny comming from you RWA) something he is more than welcome to talk about the war. Personally I would avoid bringing it up, but I can not control what the soldier says or brings into discussion.

deaddude said:
No, you are assumeing my underlying assumption. My assumption is that I do not want to pick a fight with a guy who could in all likelyhood snap my neck like a wishbone, and if he wants to teach my "ignorant closeminded ass" (I find this choice of words incredibly funny comming from you RWA) something he is more than welcome to talk about the war. Personally I would avoid bringing it up, but I can not control what the soldier says or brings into discussion.

Again you insult, assuming he would kill you for disagreeing. What you have said is dismissive, elitist, and patronizing. Deal with it.

rtwngAvngr said:
Whateve floats your boat. You're powerful.
Okey dokey, not everyone wants to have threads shut down because a few wish to hijack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back