Military Cross for Kate!

Bootneck

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2008
England
Kate Nesbitt is the first woman in the Royal Navy to be awarded the Military Cross for outstanding gallantry. She was serving as a front line medic with 3 Commando Brigade on our winter deployment in Afghanistan.

We are proud of you, Kate. Well done! We thank you and all the other medics who risk their lives to save ours.

First Royal Navy female awarded Military Cross for Afghanistan bravery

Able Seaman Kate Nesbitt was among more than 100 service personnel who were recognised for acts of heroism during 3 Commando Brigade's deployment earlier this year.

The rating was recognised for outstanding gallantry after she went to the assistance of a soldier from 1st Bn The Rifles who had been shot in the neck during a gun battle with the Taliban.

AB Nesbitt, 21, dressed the wound and kept the soldier from losing blood while Taliban bullets and rockets flew overhead during the battle in Marjah district in Helmand, close to the provincial capital Lashkar Gah in March.

“Had she not done so this soldier would definitely have died,” a military spokesman said.

The sailor, who was deployed ashore as part of a 700 strong Royal Navy contingent bolstering the Royal Marines, smiled proudly yesterday as she received recognition for her actions at a ceremony with other troops in Plymouth.

Her citation read that throughout a series of offensive operations her actions were “exemplary”.

“Under fire and under pressure her commitment and courage were inspirational and made the difference between life and death. She performed in the highest traditions of her service.”

First Royal Navy female awarded Military Cross for Afghanistan bravery - Telegraph

Congratulations and "Thank You" to this hero. Once, years ago, when I visited Lord Nelson's flagship moored at Portsmouth, I remember reading a phrase that simply stated "England expects that every man do his duty." This fine lady has certainly done that and more. I hope she is as proud of herself as England is proud of her.

Kate Nesbitt is the first woman in the Royal Navy to be awarded the Military Cross for outstanding gallantry. She was serving as a front line medic with 3 Commando Brigade on our winter deployment in Afghanistan.

We are proud of you, Kate. Well done! We thank you and all the other medics who risk their lives to save ours.

Able Seaman Kate Nesbitt was among more than 100 service personnel who were recognised for acts of heroism during 3 Commando Brigade's deployment earlier this year.

The rating was recognised for outstanding gallantry after she went to the assistance of a soldier from 1st Bn The Rifles who had been shot in the neck during a gun battle with the Taliban.

AB Nesbitt, 21, dressed the wound and kept the soldier from losing blood while Taliban bullets and rockets flew overhead during the battle in Marjah district in Helmand, close to the provincial capital Lashkar Gah in March.

“Had she not done so this soldier would definitely have died,” a military spokesman said.

The sailor, who was deployed ashore as part of a 700 strong Royal Navy contingent bolstering the Royal Marines, smiled proudly yesterday as she received recognition for her actions at a ceremony with other troops in Plymouth.

Her citation read that throughout a series of offensive operations her actions were “exemplary”.

“Under fire and under pressure her commitment and courage were inspirational and made the difference between life and death. She performed in the highest traditions of her service.”

First Royal Navy female awarded Military Cross for Afghanistan bravery - Telegraph

It is good to see our women at war being recognised for the courage they show on the front line. She does us all credit. But so do you all, son. We are proud of all of you who serve your country with courage, honour and dedication. May you all be blessed with good fortune in the months ahead.

I never saw this thread when it was originally posted. Thanks Mr Fitnah for the link.

I've always thought that those who serve on the front line in a non combatant role are deserving of the highest praise.

I remember reading a story about a guy who was a conscientious objector during WW1. "Consciey" is often a somewhat derogatory term for those who don't have the courage to go into battle and who choose to explain their decision by saying it is a moral choice. For some that may be true, for many it is a get out of jail free card.

This guy in WW1, and many others like him apparently, while feeling unable to kill anyone, was still willing to do his part for his country, going out into no mans land to tend to those who had been wounded, or loading them onto stretchers and carrying them back to their own lines, often under heavy fire.

Can you imagine how much bravery it must take to be carrying someone on a stretcher through and over mountains of razor wire? You're completely unable to defend yourself, barely able to take cover, little more than a sitting duck. Shells and mortars don't distinguish between combatants and non combatants.

As the OP suggests, very little seems to have changed in this respect over the last 100 years. With of course the exception that in WW1 there was perhaps a code of honor for some combatants that stated you should not knowingly fire on medical personnel. I very much doubt that the Taliban operate with anything even approaching the same restraint.

Hats off to Kate Nesbitt, and all those like her.

Congratulations and "Thank You" to this hero. Once, years ago, when I visited Lord Nelson's flagship moored at Portsmouth, I remember reading a phrase that simply stated "England expects that every man do his duty." This fine lady has certainly done that and more. I hope she is as proud of herself as England is proud of her.

I visited HMS Victory 2 years ago just before leaving England. I'd never seen her and thought that this was something the kids should see before we left to live in America. On board, they were selling rectangular engraved plates with that message on. I bought one and it now hangs in my workshop.

I'm looking at it as I type. It was Nelson's signal to the fleet before engaging Napoleon's fleet (French and Spanish) off Cape Trafalgar, October 21, 1805. The British Fleet were outnumbered, but were considered at the time to be the greatest and best disciplined naval force in the world. The signal of course was with flags.

england-expects.jpg

The battle started in the early morning and, just after noon, Nelson was shot through the lungs by a sniper from the yards of a French ship of the line. He died about 3 hours later by which time the battle had been won. He thus became (along with Marlborough and Wellington), one of the best known of all British military heroes from the "golden age" of the empire. As such, I would imagine that there are very few Englishmen of my generation who, 200 years later, do not know word for word what the signal said, who sent it and what it signified.

Unless, I'm mistaken, HMS Victory is still in service, though in an honorary sense, as the flagship of one of the Sea Lords.

Forum List

Back