Military bunk beds, yeah!

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
So I have added a new teen to the household...he's sharing a bedroom with my youngest, who had a big iron bed which means there is an air mattress on the floor and pretty much no floor space in that room....

I have been looking frantically for bunk beds for them. But I pull up short when I see the weight restrictions, or the reviews on how nightmarish the set up was. I started looking at army surplus sites and I have found what I want! A lot cheaper, a lot simpler to assemble, and since they're meant for soldiers and/or prison inmates and reform schools, they have about twice the bearing capacity. I mean, one of the bunks I looked at in my price range that I really like had a 150 lb weight bearing capacity. I mean, seriously? The big boy isn't that big...yet...but they're boys, what if there are two of them on the top bunk? They'd go over easily.

Of course the fact that we're getting military/jail surplus sort of tickles my funny bone, so I'm thinking maybe we should just go for all-out institutional decor...the mesh locker, the whole deal, lol....I know they would hold up, at least.

Military Supply House - Bunk Beds - U.S. Military Bunks - Beds - Triple Bunk beds

jail_house_bunk.jpg

Shit - that's better than I had it on my first ship.
E-1, checked in on a Saturday night. Only people onboard - duty section and the restricted men.
They gave me top rack - three high. Running right down the middle of it - head to toe - and beyond - was a 48-inch steam pipe, covered in that 70s era asbestos, painted white.
Ah, memories.

So I have added a new teen to the household...he's sharing a bedroom with my youngest, who had a big iron bed which means there is an air mattress on the floor and pretty much no floor space in that room....

I have been looking frantically for bunk beds for them. But I pull up short when I see the weight restrictions, or the reviews on how nightmarish the set up was. I started looking at army surplus sites and I have found what I want! A lot cheaper, a lot simpler to assemble, and since they're meant for soldiers and/or prison inmates and reform schools, they have about twice the bearing capacity. I mean, one of the bunks I looked at in my price range that I really like had a 150 lb weight bearing capacity. I mean, seriously? The big boy isn't that big...yet...but they're boys, what if there are two of them on the top bunk? They'd go over easily.

Of course the fact that we're getting military/jail surplus sort of tickles my funny bone, so I'm thinking maybe we should just go for all-out institutional decor...the mesh locker, the whole deal, lol....I know they would hold up, at least.

Military Supply House - Bunk Beds - U.S. Military Bunks - Beds - Triple Bunk beds

jail_house_bunk.jpg

:clap2:

Damn fine solution!!!

now here are a couple of questions:

Will the room you put them in hold two of the bunk bed set ups.... and if so.... can you build them without the bottom mattress support piece?

If that is possible... there should be enough room under each bed for a desk. :)

sorta like this!

Powell Teen Trends Full Loft Study Desk Bunk Bed

You mean like loft beds?

That would be cool. I called this supplier, he doesn't like to sell for kids to use, but he's going to check with the manufacturer....

You mean like loft beds?

That would be cool. I called this supplier, he doesn't like to sell for kids to use, but he's going to check with the manufacturer....

yeah, take a look at the pic in the link i sent you. I look at your link and to me it appears that you can assemble the bunks without the bottom " bed" support piece. Ive seen these and they are WAY cool. Some have a desk others have draws built into them.

thats why i asked if the room was big enough for two bunk set ups...... sleep on top, study on the bottom. :) It will double the size of the room

New Topics

Forum List

Back