Military Braggarts

WW2 vets hardly ever mentioned their service. If at all.

You've met them all? :eusa_eh:

My dad tells his war stories to friends and family. Navy, South Pacific, underwater demolitions.

My dad served in the Pacific during WWII and in Korea. Earned a bronze and silver star. Never once talked about it.
To paint the members of the Greatest Generation with one broad brush is just silly.

Right, ginscpy?

Every run across Military Braggarts? You know... the ones who lie about their "service" and what they have done, gained, earned? You the ones who somehow are in ever battle, saved everyone and killed everything in site? Wounded but have no scars, advanced skills that are never used? The pissant grunts who somehow turn into officers but have no stripes?

I am wondering what you think of the people who do this?

It seems anymore you can't go anywhere without someone knowing or being a UDT (SEAL). In my day, when in, you rarely met one, let alone Delta Force, Bluelight, and others, though I would see them out in the boonies of Fort Bragg once in awhile, or in the chow hall.

Now we are getting somewhere along the lines of my OP.... good. Again...i make ZERO claim of being military.

And since you seem to know it all, maybe you can help....How do people who are not military..... ferret out the phonies? How do military ferret out the phonies. What do you think about these phonies.
We know the questions to ask them. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know how we feel about them.

You're a poser.
And a phony.

USMC "Stinker" is more appropriate.

You aren't fit to suck a Lance Corporal's balls.
C Co.1st Bn 4th Marines Infantry Fire Team Leader Northern I Corps, Leatherneck Square, C2 Bridge, Dong Ha, Dong Ha, Camp Evans, Phu Bai, Nam Hoi. I was not a hero. Besides the being there medals, I received the Combat Action Ribbon. And you? I suppose you have no problem with the term pissy ass grunts. If you were not a grunt, I guess you wouldn't.
And what war did you participate in and with what unit. When it comes to those posing as USMC Vietnam Combat Vets, we out them with questions others would not understand.

A person states he was a Navy Corpsman with the Marines in Vietnam at Dak To. Is he a poser? If yes, then explain why? If no explain why?

We know the questions to ask them. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know how we feel about them.

You're a poser.
And a phony.

C Co.1st Bn 4th Marines Infantry Fire Team Leader Northern I Corps, Leatherneck Square, C2 Bridge, Dong Ha, Dong Ha, Camp Evans, Phu Bai, Nam Hoi. I was not a hero. Besides the being there medals, I received the Combat Action Ribbon. And you? I suppose you have no problem with the term pissy ass grunts. If you were not a grunt, I guess you wouldn't.
And what war did you participate in and with what unit. When it comes to those posing as USMC Vietnam Combat Vets, we out them with questions others would not understand.

A person states he was a Navy Corpsman with the Marines in Vietnam at Dak To. Is he a poser? If yes, then explain why? If no explain why?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/military/234373-military-braggarts-3.html#post5623554
you were not a Marine, were you? you may have served in the very honorable position of a Navy corpsman, but in the Navy, not as a Marine, time to tell the truth:eusa_whistle:

So on the military board there was a place to register, and name your unit and so I did thinking maybe, just maybe, there was someone around from WWII, and had spent time at Percy Jones and could solve a question I've had all these years. So I put down my unit, First Infantry, Sixth Division, mentioned New Guinea, Luzon Bataan (the recapture not the loss) and Percy Jones. I was called a fake and a poser, so there is another facet to this problem.

You're a poser.
And a phony.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/military/234373-military-braggarts-3.html#post5623554
you were not a Marine, were you? you may have served in the very honorable position of a Navy corpsman, but in the Navy, not as a Marine, time to tell the truth:eusa_whistle:

Hey stupid one. I was an Infantry Fire Leader with the 1st Bn 4th Marines in Vietnam 1967-68
If I was a Navy Corpsman, I would be proud yo say so.

I have the utmost respect for the Corpsmen who were attached to our Platoon. They went with us on all combat operations in our TAOR.

Were you ever the military or were you too scared to enlist?

I am through talking to those who never served in real combat operations.
We are done here sonny.

Last edited:
Scars are not always visible when Combat Vets have their clothes on.
Officers do not have stripes on their shoulders.
I take exception to idiots that malign grunts. I was a Marine Grunt in Vietnam and proud of it!.

Over all your statement tells me you have absolutely no knowledge of the military. Those of us who served in the Armed Forces know how to ferret out the phonies.

We have no use for irrelevant fools like you.

Now we are getting somewhere along the lines of my OP.... good. Again...i make ZERO claim of being military.

And since you seem to know it all, maybe you can help....How do people who are not military..... ferret out the phonies? How do military ferret out the phonies. What do you think about these phonies.

Military may..... but not all of us were in the service. I agree, its not rocket science to know a liar for a liar. However not everyone is as good at recognizing a military liar.

Scars are not always visible when Combat Vets have their clothes on.
Officers do not have stripes on their shoulders.
I take exception to idiots that malign grunts. I was a Marine Grunt in Vietnam and proud of it!.

Over all your statement tells me you have absolutely no knowledge of the military. Those of us who served in the Armed Forces know how to ferret out the phonies.

Those who would lie about their military service will lie about other things. In time they betray themselves. Mostly I feel sorry for 'em, trying to steal honor is a sorry situation to be in.

That is the saddest part. They are stealing the honor of others. It is incredibly disrespectful to play for sympathy.

I spent 8 years in the Air Force from 1979 to 1987 and loved every minute of it, deployed to Lebanon for 90 days for some saber rattling but never saw combat.

Is that bragging?

Oh... I know... I've been to Area 51... TWICE... :razz:

There is a difference in feel from bragging and talking about your service. Iguess its the ones whose story has to be ...better... bigger.... grander.... froth with more danger.... back patting kind of thing.

So the braggart would say something like..... they were stationed at area 51 for 3 years.... just cant talk about it... but it sure was cool!

You've met them all? :eusa_eh:

My dad tells his war stories to friends and family. Navy, South Pacific, underwater demolitions.

My dad served in the Pacific during WWII and in Korea. Earned a bronze and silver star. Never once talked about it.

Mine too! I never knew he was an officer either until he died and we were going through this things.

I was a Marine Grunt in Vietnam and proud of it!.

I dont have a great knowledge of the US Military, but a few posts ago you were a corpsman Wasnt that Navy?

:eek:

It is only in modern times that the phenom of going on about your military service -or inventing it - has become trendy.

I never once heard my father or uncles speak of their time in the service.... not once.

My granfather did as well as the barber and several vets I did jobs for, why, cause I always steered th conversation that way. I wanted to know. Then I wanted to know what it was like living during the Great depression. I had several great aunts and uncles that were from the 19th century,and I discussed what it was like then.
My father in law was a sailor during WWII and he was still mad cause it ruined his baseball career.
All those guys I knew are gone but not forgotten. I still salute you all and I am gratefull they shared their life with me.
The WWII vets and Korean vets had one thing in common, they did not whine and cry about what they experienced, but they were all older.
The realtives including my Dad and two uncles went to Nam but they didn't cry or whine either.
I was fortunate to be in during peace(1982-88), war is a terrible experience and I wish no one has to experience it in their lifetime.

Last edited:
So on the military board there was a place to register, and name your unit and so I did thinking maybe, just maybe, there was someone around from WWII, and had spent time at Percy Jones and could solve a question I've had all these years. So I put down my unit, First Infantry, Sixth Division, mentioned New Guinea, Luzon Bataan (the recapture not the loss) and Percy Jones. I was called a fake and a poser, so there is another facet to this problem.

I salute you my friend

I had a great uncle who was a POW in Germany. Another who died off the coast of Liberia -merchant navy torpedoed by the Germans. My grandfather was also Merchant Navy - he did the Malta Run - got bombed once, and torpedoed twice but survived. Got another great uncle who was POW by the Japanese. Hated them til his dying day. Not much luck in my family when it comes to war...

Every run across Military Braggarts? You know... the ones who lie about their "service" and what they have done, gained, earned? You the ones who somehow are in ever battle, saved everyone and killed everything in site? Wounded but have no scars, advanced skills that are never used? The pissant grunts who somehow turn into officers but have no stripes?

I am wondering what you think of the people who do this?

It seems anymore you can't go anywhere without someone knowing or being a UDT (SEAL). In my day, when in, you rarely met one, let alone Delta Force, Bluelight, and others, though I would see them out in the boonies of Fort Bragg once in awhile, or in the chow hall.

In '82 the SEALS were training at Redstone Arsenal Missle Muntions and School by Huntsville, Alabama. I befriended one and we became freinds. I was doing anti-armor missle system repair and maint.(TOW I and dragon). I used to kid him about swimming the rivers and lake, and having to run up and down the local mountain for training, man they had it rough.

I had a great uncle who was a POW in Germany. Another who died off the coast of Liberia -merchant navy torpedoed by the Germans. My grandfather was also Merchant Navy - he did the Malta Run - got bombed once, and torpedoed twice but survived. Got another great uncle who was POW by the Japanese. Hated them til his dying day. Not much luck in my family when it comes to war...

The only time anyone has died while on duty was a relative of mine during the civil war.
our family history goes back to the Revolutionary War. They lived in Kentucky before moving to Missouri and after the civil war, moved to texas and the Oklahoma, which is where I was born.
I have to chuckle seeing my sod buster irish granfather decked out in his bib-overalls.
The other side is German,my Papa never served, nor his brothers in WWI they had physical problems.

Sorry to hear that (LOL).....

I know you're one who can accept service rivalry -

Thanks for your service my good friend.
Hell yes... I expect some good ole ribbing from my brothers in arms that were in a different branch. We've earned the right to do that.

Thank you too pard... :beer:

79 - 87? I was at Wright-Patt, Keesler, and Einsiedlerhof during those years. Bless and keep you all brothers.
I did my first enlistment at Nellis, second at MacDill. Couldn't have had two better bases in my opinion.

Forum List

Back