Military Braggarts

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
Every run across Military Braggarts? You know... the ones who lie about their "service" and what they have done, gained, earned? You the ones who somehow are in ever battle, saved everyone and killed everything in site? Wounded but have no scars, advanced skills that are never used? The pissant grunts who somehow turn into officers but have no stripes?

I am wondering what you think of the people who do this?

Every run across Military Braggarts? You know... the ones who lie about their "service" and what they have done, gained, earned? You the ones who somehow are in ever battle, saved everyone and killed everything in site? Wounded but have no scars, advanced skills that are never used? The pissant grunts who somehow turn into officers but have no stripes?

I think they are douchebags but with that pesky 1st Amendment, what are you gonna do?

Last edited:
I had shipmates that used to pretend to be SEALS.

Before the Internet, lots of Navy vets claimed to be SEALs. The only thing stopping them was running across a real one and being asked his class number and swim buddy, etc. There are several individuals and organizations now that verify claims of heroism from wannabe Rangers, Green Berets, Marines, and especially SEALs. When outted, their names are entered on a wall of shame and they usually apologize and stop telling their lies.

I taught Corpsman school (Corps School) in the middle 80s and we had two staff members who wore the Trident. One was a nurse lieutenant and the other a Master Chief. The LT wore the Navy Cross and every ribbon on the awards chart under it, eg. Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc. He claimed to be a SEAL Corpsman in Vietnam. The Master Chief had so many ribbons his Trident was higher than his collerbone. To shorten a long story, neither were SEALs. The Master Chief had actually been a Corpsman assigned to the Marines in Vietnam and he could have rode those stories for sure. Both their names are on every hero fraud website there is.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Before the Internet, lots of Navy vets claimed to be SEALs. The only thing stopping them was running across a real one and being asked his class number and swim buddy, etc. There are several individuals and organizations now that verify claims of heroism from wannabe Rangers, Green Berets, Marines, and especially SEALs. When outted, their names are entered on a wall of shame and they usually apologize and stop telling their lies.

I taught Corpsman school (Corps School) in the middle 80s and we had two staff members who wore the Trident. One was a nurse lieutenant and the other a Master Chief. The LT wore the Navy Cross and every ribbon on the awards chart under it, eg. Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc. The Master Chief had so many ribbons his Trident was higher than his collerbone. To shorten a long story, neither were SEALs. The Master Chief had actually been a Corpsman assigned tot he Marines in Vietnam and he could have rode those stories for sure. Both their names are on every hero fraud website there is.

I am not military so not very versed in things like this. But even i can spot the braggarts... the story gets bigger as time goes on. I also don't feel that real military really talk about their service...they are quiet and reserved about it. The braggarts however just seem to go on and on about it.

Are they easy for you to spot?

I taught Corpsman school (Corps School) in the middle 80s and we had two staff members who wore the Trident. One was a nurse lieutenant and the other a Master Chief. The LT wore the Navy Cross and every ribbon on the awards chart under it, eg. Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc. He claimed to be a SEAL Corpsman in Vietnam. The Master Chief had so many ribbons his Trident was higher than his collerbone. To shorten a long story, neither were SEALs. The Master Chief had actually been a Corpsman assigned to the Marines in Vietnam and he could have rode those stories for sure. Both their names are on every hero fraud website there is.

I (and you) can spot a poser a mile away.

I think they are douchebags but with that pesky 1st Amendment, what are you gonna do?

I was in uniform (SCPO) and ran into a Lieutenant many years ago at Naval Base Norfolk - at PSD. He had a Buds pin, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, etc. Wayyyyyy too fucking much. Started talking to him (probing) about his "service." Christ, two minutes into it - what a poser. I scared him off. He all of a sudden "had to go." I did notify base security. Hopefully they found that little bastard.

If they claim a Purple Heart and get pissy when you mock it by calling it a 'slow movers award', they ain't military.

what about the ones who do not lie about their service but still brag/obsess about it?

Their were and still are many people claiming to be Vietnam Combat Veterans. It was pretty easy to find out they were frauds.

What Marine Division were you with in Vietnam? The 2nd . Only the 1st and 3rd served in Vietnam.

What unit were you with in Vietnam? MAC Five. MACV stood for Military Assistance Command Vietnam.

I was a Navy Corpsman with the Marines at Dak To. No marines ever operated the Central Highlands.

Their were and still are many people claiming to be Vietnam Combat Veterans. It was pretty easy to find out they were frauds.

What Marine Division were you with in Vietnam? The 2nd . Only the 1st and 3rd served in Vietnam.

What unit were you with in Vietnam? MAC Five. MACV stood for Military Assistance Command Vietnam.

I was a Navy Corpsman with the Marines at Dak To. No marines ever operated the Central Highlands.

My cousin was F/2/7 - Utter's Battalion. He was killed during Harvest Moon, Quang Nam province - December 1965.

Semper Fi

I taught Corpsman school (Corps School) in the middle 80s and we had two staff members who wore the Trident. One was a nurse lieutenant and the other a Master Chief. The LT wore the Navy Cross and every ribbon on the awards chart under it, eg. Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc. The Master Chief had so many ribbons his Trident was higher than his collerbone. To shorten a long story, neither were SEALs. The Master Chief had actually been a Corpsman assigned tot he Marines in Vietnam and he could have rode those stories for sure. Both their names are on every hero fraud website there is.

I am not military so not very versed in things like this. But even i can spot the braggarts... the story gets bigger as time goes on. I also don't feel that real military really talk about their service...they are quiet and reserved about it. The braggarts however just seem to go on and on about it.

They are easy to spot.

I talk about my service because it is such a big part of who I am. Also, it is fun to recall good times and share a few sea stories. One thing about me and my service is that I was a Navy Corpsman for 26 years with three FMF tours. I was also an Independent Duty Corpsman which means I was trained to go to sea and the field without a physician. I also was in charge of a very large training program and was assigned to an anti-terrorist unit. I have a Combat Action Ribbon, have fought Malaria in Africa, and received awards for saving lives. I was also lucky enough to go on drug ops with a 3 letter agency.

That sounds like bragging but all I did was give a brief run-down of just a few aspects of my Navy career. I was always one to look for the next op or mission and kept my seabag packed.

I was in uniform (SCPO) and ran into a Lieutenant many years ago at Naval Base Norfolk - at PSD. He had a Buds pin, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, etc. Wayyyyyy too fucking much. Started talking to him (probing) about his "service." Christ, two minutes into it - what a poser. I scared him off. He all of a sudden "had to go." I did notify base security. Hopefully they found that little bastard.

That sounds like the LT I was stationed with.

They are easy to spot.

I talk about my service because it is such a big part of who I am. Also, it is fun to recall good times and share a few sea stories. One thing about me and my service is that I was a Navy Corpsman for 26 years with three FMF tours. I was also an Independent Duty Corpsman which means I was trained to go to sea and the field without a physician. I also was in charge of a very large training program and was assigned to an anti-terrorist unit. I have a Combat Action Ribbon, have fought Malaria in Africa, and received awards for saving lives. I was also lucky enough to go on drug ops with a 3 letter agency.

That sounds like bragging but all I did was give a brief run-down of just a few aspects of my Navy career. I was always one to look for the next op or mission and kept my seabag packed.

The biggest moment in my life was getting pinned after initiation. I am sure it was for you as well. We had a YNC who was married to a Filipina. She, of course, prepared a nice batch of baluts for us. Truth serum was totally fucking disgusting, as was the "Fire In The Hole" box and the pig trough - where we had to eat through piles of shit looking for the anchors - that weren't in there! Had to bring 100 dollars in ones - sequentially numbered, of course

what about the ones who do not lie about their service but still brag/obsess about it?[/QUOTE
Not all scars are visible when they are dressed. Do you want to look at them naked to be sure?
Military Officers do not wear stripes. The only thing you know about Combat Veterans is that you are not one. When you address this issue, you make a complete ass of yourself.

your signature is fucked......this country is already abandoning the vets from recent wars

and why cant someone who is not a vet address issues? you are the one making an ass of yourself.....

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
There are basically two things that you can listen for to tell if a veteran is lying about his service.

1) They offer to or enthusiastically tell you about horrific things they experienced in broad detail.
2) They have answers for any and all of your questions regarding any and all aspects of any conflict at any given time.

I've run into a few of these at the VA and they come across, like most liars, as pompous and proud, grade a turds.

Forum List

Back