Military Ballots Being Rejected in Virginia

The Paperboy

Times Square
Aug 26, 2008
Times Square
Fairfax County Registrar Rokey Suleman is disqualifying an overwhelming majority of the military federal write-in absentee ballots received in his county on the basis that no address had been given for those witnessing the voter signatures on the ballots. According to Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity and four former members of the military who held a press conference on Thursday, over 98 percent of these military absentee ballots in Fairfax County are being rejected.

Full story here

Fairfax County Registrar Rokey Suleman is disqualifying an overwhelming majority of the military federal write-in absentee ballots received in his county on the basis that no address had been given for those witnessing the voter signatures on the ballots. According to Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity and four former members of the military who held a press conference on Thursday, over 98 percent of these military absentee ballots in Fairfax County are being rejected.

Full story here

A Republican stunt to try and steal the election i'm sure...... :eusa_whistle:

Since the Military predominately votes republican I doubt it, more like a democratic attempt ala Florida in 2000 to supress legal votes from the military.

Sarcasm my friend, sorry, i'll start using asterisks or something........:D

Since the Military predominately votes republican I doubt it, more like a democratic attempt ala Florida in 2000 to supress legal votes from the military.

Amazing how the mainstream media and libs never mention the suppression of military votes in the Florida 2000 election.

It's wrong no matter who is doing it.

How about mentioning the suppression of votes in Florida with a flawed felons list?

Hypocrisy.

That's a serious problem.

Yet technicalities just like this are what Obama used to eliminate his competition and get elected to the Senate. We never hear much about that, but it’s true.

NO WORRIES GUYS....they are going to be counted, thank goodness!

But just to point out to you how you should NOT let partisan blog sites get you in a frenzy over issues, the article posted to begin this thread was dated october 24, while this news story that explain this voting glitch WAS GOING TO BE WORKED OUT was writen THE DAY BEFORE the blog that you posted but the blog still got your goat with their misinformation to you...sad really when we let partisan bloggers raise our blood pressure!

Virginia Miliary Absentee Ballot Problem Will Be Solved
23 Oct 2008 11:12 pm

The military voting project at the National Defense Committee responds to reports out of Fairfax, Virginia, and after polite telephone conversations and an exchange of letters, the problem looks like it will be solved and votes will be counted.

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:37 PM
To: 'Bob Carey (Empire-Capitol Strategies)'
Subject: Fairfax County, Virginia Rejecting FWABs

As many of you know, Sam Wright, Director of the Military Voting Project at the National Defense Committee, sent this excellent letter to the Department of Justice Voting Rights Section encouraging them to investigate the actions of Fairfax County, Virginia Board of Elections regarding witness requirements on Federal Write-In Absentee Ballots, the provisional ballots military and overseas voters use if they have not received their regular absentee ballots.

The problem is that the Fairfax County government had originally interpreted Virginia law to require all Federal Write-In Absentee ballots to have a witness' signature, printed name and address on the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. However, the underlying Virginia law only requires this witness signature, printed name and address if they are taking advantage of the special Virginia provision that allows the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot to ALSO serve as the absentee ballot application. Because that's different from what the federal Voting Assistance Guide says, hundreds of Federal Write-In Absentee Ballots received to date were potentially going to be rejected. In fact, as of today, while about 260 Federal Write-In Absentee Ballots had been received by Fairfax County, only five had the witness name and address.

I've been in contact with the Fairfax County Registrar, Rokey Fulman, and he accepted my recommendation to contact the Virginia State Board of Elections to confirm this interpretation of the Virginia statute, as Sam's letter points out the Fairfax interpretation is likely incorrect. I'm happy to report that he has received guidance from the State Board of Elections that the witness name and signature requirement do indeed only apply if the FWAB is also being used simultaneously as an absentee ballot application. Therefore, so long as a Federal Post Card Application is received by election day, the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot will count, which is the normal process for military absentee ballots to be cast.

Hopefully this will allow for the ballots to be fully counted. National Defense Committee, through its Military Ballot Protection Program, will continue to monitor this development, take appropriate and forceful action where needed, and advise you all as to what we are doing.
Virginia Miliary Absentee Ballot Problem Will Be Solved - Marc Ambinder

So let me get this right...

When the ballots are coming from Democratic districts in battleground states, the concern should be about voter legitimacy, making sure all the votes are real, and disqualifying any that don't meet standards. Because otherwise its "omg, massive Democratic fraud". But when those same standards are applied to military absentee ballots, its a "serious problem", and a "technicality"?

Try to be a little bit less transparent in your disregard for the voting process in favor of "anything we need to do (including voter fraud) to let our guy win". :clap2:

Forum List

Back