Militant, authoritarian atheists

Manifold,

I am deeply flattered that you base your imaginary conversations on what you perceive to be my beliefs.

Best regards,

Ravi

My first thought also while reading the OP.

Mani sees his sock puppets in real life now. :lol:

Have you ever heard of anything so militant, authoritarian and just plain absurd?

Yes. I live in Oakland - which enables me to hear leftwing whackjob ideas on a fairly constant basis. Most of the problems in the region are due to the ones that have made their way into public policy.

I went to this benefit fund raiser over the weekend and found myself in a conversation with a man that I met there. He was obviously well educated, and pretty intelligent and knowledgable and we were getting along well...

until he brought up is loathing of all things God and religious.

Now, most people know I'm no bible thumper, and I'm more than willing to rip on any relgion, but this guy has a hair across his ass about it that just seems nuts to me.

He actually believes that it should be against the law to teach your children religion.

That's right, against the law. Have you ever heard of anything so militant, authoritarian and just plain absurd?

Sounds pretty down the middle anti-theist to me...

I don't see the distinction between that and the mainstream position of the Hopers of Change... Anyone who listened regularly to disp-Air America heard that point of view all day.

What really gets me about the militant atheists is their putting all those atheist books in the nightstand drawers in the motel rooms.

I mean who needs a phone book?

I have also noticed alot of my "co-religionists(atheists and some agnosticseven!!)" making arguments about "not teaching children the family religion"

I wish to poke fun at this silly notion for a moment.

What should you say to the child when all the adults go to temple, church, or synagoguge? We are going to pay the father some quality time? How about off to listen to something you should not hear until you are of proper maturity. The little tikes will go bonkers over this!! I can see armies of little kids roaming the neighborhood trying to sneak into a church or what have you just so they can squelch their curiousity!!

They would even form clubs trying to find out what the adults are doing. They will become more interested in religion than sex, I tell you and if these atheists wish to "capturue" the minds of the tots, I tell them now that they are wasting their time!! Better to wait until they are adults and capable of reasoning themselves than to play with someone elses child. You are asking for pain when you do that. Leave the kiddies to their parents, as any right thinking adult will do.

By the way--not teaching your child any religion is the same as teaching your child atheism. Just something I have to add.

I am really tired of these statements. ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION. There are those that take it to the extreme and make it a quasi religion but that does not make all atheists (or even the majority) religious people. Atheism is a lack of religion. I am an atheist and I HAVE NO RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

Yet your atheism rests on nothing BUT beliefs...

What ya seem to want to ignore is that the mirror image of something is simply the reflection of that thing... meaning it represents the same thing in reverse.

Thus atheism is a religion; your faith is simply antithetical to the deity aspect of religion.

I went to this benefit fund raiser over the weekend and found myself in a conversation with a man that I met there. He was obviously well educated, and pretty intelligent and knowledgable and we were getting along well...

Now, most people know I'm no bible thumper, and I'm more than willing to rip on any relgion, but this guy has a hair across his ass about it that just seems nuts to me.

He actually believes that it should be against the law to teach your children religion.

That's right, against the law. Have you ever heard of anything so militant, authoritarian and just plain absurd?

Yeah, I've heard about nitwits who become Randian Objectivists and imagine selfishness is a virtue.

I have also noticed alot of my "co-religionists(atheists and some agnosticseven!!)" making arguments about "not teaching children the family religion"

What should you say to the child when all the adults go to temple, church, or synagoguge? We are going to pay the father some quality time? How about off to listen to something you should not hear until you are of proper maturity. The little tikes will go bonkers over this!! I can see armies of little kids roaming the neighborhood trying to sneak into a church or what have you just so they can squelch their curiousity!!

They would even form clubs trying to find out what the adults are doing. They will become more interested in religion than sex, I tell you and if these atheists wish to "capturue" the minds of the tots, I tell them now that they are wasting their time!! Better to wait until they are adults and capable of reasoning themselves than to play with someone elses child. You are asking for pain when you do that. Leave the kiddies to their parents, as any right thinking adult will do.

By the way--not teaching your child any religion is the same as teaching your child atheism. Just something I have to add.

I am really tired of these statements. ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION. There are those that take it to the extreme and make it a quasi religion but that does not make all atheists (or even the majority) religious people. Atheism is a lack of religion. I am an atheist and I HAVE NO RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

What ya seem to want to ignore is that the mirror image of something is simply the reflection of that thing... meaning it represents the same thing in reverse.

Thus atheism is a religion; your faith is simply antithetical to the deity aspect of religion.

*Sigh* Do not paint me with your twisted brush. I do not mirror religion, I have no religion. I do not have any beliefs whatsoever about God and that is a complete lack of religion. That is what a true atheist is, a lack of belief. If you cannot see that it is your own fallacy. Not everyone must be as you with a set of religious convictions. This conversation always goes down the same road – The religious calling atheism a religion because they simply cannot accept that a lack of belief can exist. Let me tell you, it does.

My atheism rests on NOTHING because there is nothing to rest. I have no tenants, nothing that is held dear about my position and it is not entrenched. As soon as I am given ONE SHRED OF EVEDENCE I will become a religious man. That time is likely to never come because of the very nature of God but the possibility is there.

And before you begin to compile any ‘evidence’ realize that a lack of support for one theory DOES NOT prove another.

I have to disagree with that reasoning. Since a child is not properly cognizant on issues dealing with reality, their ability to think and make important decisions must be funneled through a reliabel source that seeks to protect them. Thus the role of the parent is to make those decisions for the child until the child mental abilities have properly matured--that is assumed to take 20 years. During this time, all rights of the child is no more than an extension of the parents will. Of course, a good parent does not need to sit down and make this argument with the child! They carry on in their decision making as if the child existance is the precise point to making any decisions about the child. I commend these parents--that is instinctual parental skills that is "FELT" and not "REASONED" and is not taught in any Liberal arts school or even Home education. Keep up the good work!!

In short, the rights of children are property of the parents until the child reaches adulthood. Such complex concepts such as freedom of speech and so forth are laughable in terms of child rearing and protecting the child as practiced under a loving parents care. And on the issue of education--the parents have full jurisdiction in terms of what the child should learn, when they should learn it, how they should learn it and even who should teach it to them!! How can an ignorant little brat make such decisions! They can not, thus the burden must fall to the parents!!

The above argument is really one of commonsense practice in any home where there is a parent, and children to be raised! I wonder about these madmen that try to give serious decision making powers to children. Do they really think they are aiding the children of the world? Of course not!! Their ideas are silly!! How will the ignorant learn? By example--reality's cruelest teacher? Those madmen must hope to gain fools to mislead!! Parents, do not take the words of that apostate seriously. He is an insane fool at best!

This is a downright scary interpretation of children. Children DO have right and are IN NO WAY EXTENTIONS OF THEIR PARENTS. Under that logic I can do whatever I want to my children – beat, torture, kill…..
Children are their own entity but the relationship that a parent shares with their child is very close and a right of that child as well. Your belifs are your own and a special treasure that you have an obligation to pass on. I myself am not religious and I would not teach my child a religion but I would NEVER meddle in another’s right to do so. To be religious is to believe that you need to be a part of that religion to attain the greatest gifts possible – why would you deny that to your child? For those that wish to obstruct that with law they are authoritarians and have no true concept of what it means to be American.

Yes--children are a natural extension of their parents. Where do you think kids come from?

If there were no liberals and moral people, yes you have every right and cause to beat your tots to death--if you want them dead. It is only when you take on moral reasoning(and societal norms are forced upon you) is the concept of child abuse/killing become a recognized evil!! Without society--Parents become like gods to their little kids!!....And they should act the part!

I am sorry chaos but I can no longer take you seriously after that inane statement. I hold children, ALL OF THEM, to be the most dear and precious thing that we have. You have a right as a parent to raise your children in ALMOST any manner you see fit but they are not objects or slaves. Should you treat your children in that manner then I feel that people have the OBLIGATION to end your life, not the other way around.

Don’t misunderstand. I am not a current fan of abuse laws and if you believe a good spanking is in order then more power to you though I find no reason to spank my own child.

If you are such a failure that you think your child should be killed then it is YOU that have failed not the child and maybe you should think of suicide before punishing the child for your failures.

Is not believing in Santa Claus also a religion? :eusa_eh:

:beer:
hang on, i will PM my elaborate response to you.

I have PM's disabled.

Please do me a solid and post it here. :cool:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I have PMs disabled.

How fuckin' self important can a prick be?
:eusa_hand:

PM,s are bullshit. This is a public forum and if you have something to say, share it so it can but out up to the scrutiny that boards like this were created for

militant atheism is worse than many types of fundamentalist religion. the person described in the OP is scary

So if I take a baseball bat and smash it into the scull of a jehovas whitness trespassing on my front porch blathering about god and jesus or kneecapping a Catholic priest that has been accused by several dozen molested children over the years....that I am a "militant". OK. Now I suppose you are going to try to find fault with me desiring every church in our country burned to the ground. What does it take to please you and get on your good side anyway?

Yeah, I've heard about nitwits who become Randian Objectivists and imagine selfishness is a virtue.

Yeah.........and when they turned it into the "greed is good" philosophy, that's what almost took down our whole economy.

Remember when Wall St. types were stating that?

Yeah.........and when they turned it into the "greed is good" philosophy, that's what almost took down our whole economy.

Remember when Wall St. types were stating that?

Ummm, you're confusing hollywood for real life.

It was Gordon Gekko that said that and it was from the "movie" Wall Street.

you need to get out more :)

Actually, greed IS good when harnessed the way a capitalist nation is supposed to use it. Unfortunately, it is not good when it seeps into government and, when combined with idiocy, ignorance and power mongering, creates what we have today. Greed is required for our system to work and the government is supposed to set up regulations to temper that force. Unfortunately, it seems that the Politian’s have forgotten what they are there to accomplish.

It's not just the politicians. Remember when Wall St lobbied to have all the regulations taken away?

The politicians were the means to that goal, not the goal itself.

Forum List

Back