mildred pierce hbo

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
What a dismal production. The Joan Crawford film is much better.

Kate is an excellent actress, but she is playing Mildred in such a dish rag, cheerless, monotone fashion that it's painful to watch.

It causes one to sympathize with Veda far too much.

And Guy Pearce as Beragon is an Oily Creep. Zachary Scott was far more classy.

as a lover of old movies and MP being the movie that Joan Crawford got an oscar for......

Mildred Pierce (1945) - IMDb

now hbo redoes it....5 parts.....saw part 1 and 2 last night....i am just not sure.... kate winslet is just not doing the part justice

‘Mildred Pierce’: HBO gets nastier than Joan Crawford could | DailyTopNews.net

the hbo one is closer to the book of course when the first one was filmed you could not show or do what you can now

I am sorry, there are some parts that cannot be played by anyone else; Bogart in Casablanca, Bacall, To Have and Have Not , "you know how to whistle steve"? Bette in All about Eve......Mildred Pierce, *buzzzzz*, no sale.

there is no snap...no life to kate's mildred

no passion.....i dont feel her pain at all
Maybe, but it's Kate Winslet! :banana:

kate-winslet.jpg

I never saw the original and I haven't fallen asleep (yet) during the HBO remake so I have to say it's not too bad.

i agree with the criticism. i am very disappointed with this version of Mildred Pierce. Winslet is a total flop here, and the story is ridiculous, the dialogue and scenes boring and shallow.

I'm enjoying it. I've also seen the original and Joan was kind of dishraggy herself. I don't really like the Veda actress. Not cute and really faking the brat thing.

I dont think Ive seen that movie at all. Ill have to google it to see if it rings a bell.

Oh yeah. I saw it. Pissed me off when I saw it a few years ago while watching old movies. That spoiled bitch would have been drop kicked out the door if she were mine.
I just have a really hard time watching movies where Moms have no balls. And it doesnt help that I cant stand joan crawford.

Sorry. "If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all" and here I am raining on your movie parade. My apologies.

watched 5 and my unfavorable impression was reinforced. Kate Winslet may be a good actress, but she moves me not. plays like a robot, and by the way her face resembles that of Crawford. Something coarse and not gentle about it.

Forum List

Back