miKindle

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
I received a Kindle 3G (with Free 3G and WiFi) for Christmas. I love this thing! It's small enough to fit in a handbag, and will now be part of the daily equipment I tote around with me. Public transit, sitting in airports, waiting anywhere will now be much more enjoyable and productive.

I've bought a few books (the sticker shock for ebooks is still settling in) - and have downloaded over a hundred free ones from Project Gutenberg. PG is a fantastic resource for classics which are no longer subject to copyright.

Mr. Boe recommended Calibre to manage my ebook files. I'm quite happy with the program - it is easy to learn and well designed.

My only lament is that I cannot convert the thousands of Real Books we have into ebooks - or at least get a discount for an ebook because I already paid for them!

I received a Kindle 3G (with Free 3G and WiFi) for Christmas. I love this thing! It's small enough to fit in a handbag, and will now be part of the daily equipment I tote around with me. Public transit, sitting in airports, waiting anywhere will now be much more enjoyable and productive.

I've bought a few books (the sticker shock for ebooks is still settling in) - and have downloaded over a hundred free ones from Project Gutenberg. PG is a fantastic resource for classics which are no longer subject to copyright.

Mr. Boe recommended Calibre to manage my ebook files. I'm quite happy with the program - it is easy to learn and well designed.

My only lament is that I cannot convert the thousands of Real Books we have into ebooks - or at least get a discount for an ebook because I already paid for them!

That's a really nice Christmas present. You must have been very good...

Enjoy boedicca!

We bought a Kindle for my son last Christmas and he loves it!

I'm curious though, about your comment on the sticker shock for the ebooks. Last I looked, the ebooks were actually cheaper that if you bought the actual book. Perhaps things have changed.

I just downloaded a Kindle app for my Smartphone.

I'm happy you received something you will love. I understand e-readers are hurting book sales. Thus is progress. Change is the one constant. I would buy one if it had a Pandora app. :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you all. (BDDG, one is always good, even when one is naughty.)

Masquerade - yes, the ebooks are cheaper than standard books, but the cost differential for some is quite a bit less than the manufacturing and distribution costs. I expected better pricing, but suspect that prices are high for new releases and that they will trend down once the books have been out for awhile.

Enjoy boedicca!

I'm curious though, about your comment on the sticker shock for the ebooks. Last I looked, the ebooks were actually cheaper that if you bought the actual book. Perhaps things have changed.

Ebooks are about the same price.. There's just no traipsing to the bookstore, storing clunky paperbacks, hard covers, etc. I tried the Kindle, the Nook, and the Sony e-Reader... I chose the Sony, and wouldn't part with it for the world. The books that are cheaper are the ones nobody reads anymore.

I don't know if I would like the Kindle. I sort of like the feel of a real book in my hands. When I think I've kept them long enough I donate them to the public library.

Too bad ebooks couldn't have a sale price for the first few days they're available. Like DVD's or Bluerays. Like with many other products, it makes sense the price goes down over time.

My son received some gift cards from Amazon and instead of purchasing ebooks for his Kindle, he bought real books. Though he loves his Kindle, he still loves holding an actual book in his hand. And loves having his book shelves full!

Enjoy boedicca!

Ebooks are about the same price.. There's just no traipsing to the bookstore, storing clunky paperbacks, hard covers, etc. I tried the Kindle, the Nook, and the Sony e-Reader... I chose the Sony, and wouldn't part with it for the world. The books that are cheaper are the ones nobody reads anymore.

Hmmmm...Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, Anthony Trollope...their books are free, and a great many people still read them.

I just finished downloading a bunch of P.G. Wodehouse's books, as well as Saki's. Wonderful reads.

Too bad ebooks couldn't have a sale price for the first few days they're available. Like DVD's or Bluerays. Like with many other products, it makes sense the price goes down over time.

My son received some gift cards from Amazon and instead of purchasing ebooks for his Kindle, he bought real books. Though he loves his Kindle, he still loves holding an actual book in his hand. And loves having his book shelves full!

I wish I could just get a discount for kindle versions of books that I have already bought on Amazon.

:)

Forum List

Back