Mike Tyson and Tiger Woods

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Neither one will go down in the history books as the best in theirsports............................

Both were considered shoe-ins duringtheirprime

Hope it pizzesyou off that Jack Nicklaus will go down asthe best golferof all time.................................

18 majors by the Golden Bear........................................................................................................................................

Neither one will go down in the history books as the best in theirsports............................

Both were considered shoe-ins duringtheirprime

What were your first thoughts when you read the OP?

Mine was, "athletes."

Two young black wealthy stud champions.

One with an artistic face tattoo that evokes in many of us a universal question of thought that asks roughly, "What the fuck were you thinking?" You dope. You look like an insane person.

Woods still has A Surge left in him - only in his mid 30s.

The sex scandel is behind him, he seems to have fixed his swing problems, is healthy again.

I look for 2 maybe 3 more major titles. What does he have now - 14??

What I think of when I see those two names, and many many other well known names in sports, is how utterly idiotic it is to believe that somehow "Sports builds character".

I want to say something else too though. I watched a documentary about Tyson once, it was one that focused more on his fighting career than his personal life. My god, as a boxer that young man was simply awesome - and that is not a word that I use very often. If I remember correctly he won 19 out of his first 20 professional fights by first round knock out, generally consummated by a left-upper-cut struck on the jaw that would lift a 220-pound man two feet off the mat.

Its impossible to compare athletes from different eras. In golf alone the equipment is so much better now than it was even 10 years ago let alone 20 or 30 years ago. Its also impossible to compare the competition levels.

I don't think Tyson was ever slated to be the greatest boxer of all time. Regardless of his skills, he never had the competition during his era to be considered the greatest

Ali defeated Liston, Frazier, Norton and Forman who were all better than anyone Tyson ever faced

I don't think Tyson was ever slated to be the greatest boxer of all time. Regardless of his skills, he never had the competition during his era to be considered the greatest

Ali defeated Liston, Frazier, Norton and Forman who were all better than anyone Tyson ever faced

I sense that you miss boxing as much as I do. Growing up in the era of Ali, Frazier, Norton and Foreman really put the hook in me for the Heavyweight division.

And the great Middle Weights! I sure do miss quality Professional Boxing.

I sense that you miss boxing as much as I do. Growing up in the era of Ali, Frazier, Norton and Foreman really put the hook in me for the Heavyweight division.

And the great Middle Weights! I sure do miss quality Professional Boxing.

To be honest, I couldn't even tell you who the heavyweight champ is.

I remember when you used to watch the Olympics, boxing was on in network primetime every night. Now it gets less coverage than rowing

Forum List

Back