Midwest fault line could instanntly kill 80,000 people warns FEMA

How do you want to go out?

In a blaze of glory?

Or in a nursing home, drinking your meals through a tube, and the kids never visit?
The same way I came in. Kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else’s blood...

The fracking causes instability so it seems to me that would mean a much higher chance of a moderate earthquake since tension cannot build up too high. That would prevent big earthquakes from happening.

I live in the midwest and people have been saying this since I was a kid.
Earthquakes happen. It sucks. Nothing you can do to prepare for it aside from how everyone should be generally prepared for any type of disaster by having stored food/water and weapons to protect it.

I've been to Portland, Sea-Tacoma. I lived in Eugene-Elmira. They are not ready for a 7.0 either? Are they?

Yes we are.

We have zoning laws and building codes that require buildings to withstand a major shake such as a 7.0. The Space Needle is a very good example. Even though it was built in 1962:

The Space Needle was built to withstand wind speeds of 200 mph (320 km/h), double the requirements in the building code of 1962. The 6.8 Mw  Nisqually earthquake jolted the Needle enough in 2001 for water to slosh out of the toilets in the restrooms. The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1. Also made to withstand Category 5 hurricane-force winds, the Space Needle sways only 1 in (25 mm) per 10 mph (16 km/h) of wind speed.

Meanwhile Ohio and the midwest have done nothing. They have no zoning laws or building codes that require being able to with stand an earthquake.

They better get their butts in gear. They have a lot of work to do.
The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1.
there is no way they can say that.....in S.Cal there were new buildings and bridges damaged during the 6.7 we had in Northridge....those buildings were supposed to be good for bigger quakes to,so they thought.....many had serious damage....
Concrete bridges are far more brittle than the Space Needle. The Needle can sway with no problem.

Ok so tell me what concrete bridge came down during an earthquake here?

Not only are our buildings built to with stand earthquakes, so are our bridges and some infrastructure.

You people seem to think that it's ok to not be prepared for Mother Nature. It's not.

Those of us in the west have been building infrastructure and buildings that are meant to withstand a big shake for decades. You people in the east have not. We in the west know the benefit of spending a little more money to make sure that everything can withstand a big shake. You in the east don't. We don't have a problem with paying taxes and passing zoning laws that will make sure we are safe. You in the east do have that problem and don't seem to care about the safety of your people. While you bash us in the west.

Ever heard of the story of the ant and grasshopper? You might want to learn from it.
even so dana there aint no way that they can say the space needle WILL stand an 8 pointer with minimal damage...

The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1.
there is no way they can say that.....in S.Cal there were new buildings and bridges damaged during the 6.7 we had in Northridge....those buildings were supposed to be good for bigger quakes to,so they thought.....many had serious damage....
Concrete bridges are far more brittle than the Space Needle. The Needle can sway with no problem.

Not only are our buildings built to with stand earthquakes, so are our bridges and some infrastructure.

You people seem to think that it's ok to not be prepared for Mother Nature. It's not.

Those of us in the west have been building infrastructure and buildings that are meant to withstand a big shake for decades. You people in the east have not. We in the west know the benefit of spending a little more money to make sure that everything can withstand a big shake. You in the east don't. We don't have a problem with paying taxes and passing zoning laws that will make sure we are safe. You in the east do have that problem and don't seem to care about the safety of your people. While you bash us in the west.

Ever heard of the story of the ant and grasshopper? You might want to learn from it.
I live in Seattle.

I used to live there as well, left for a job and found out that the eastern side of the state has better weather and no traffic. I went back last week for a funeral and I learned to hate Seattle all over again. How people can live like that is unreal.

Lived in Pullman as a kid and it was great!!
Of course that was over 40 years ago.

Pullman is a great community. I'm not a WSU fan however I root for them over UW, those people are arrogant assholes. I live in Spokane and love it, people are more laid back and more accepting and engaging of others than the westside.

I was offered a job in Seattle that would pay me almost double what I make in Spokane and I won't take it. Life is to short to sit in traffic and rain.

I live in Seattle.

I used to live there as well, left for a job and found out that the eastern side of the state has better weather and no traffic. I went back last week for a funeral and I learned to hate Seattle all over again. How people can live like that is unreal.

Pullman is a great community. I'm not a WSU fan however I root for them over UW, those people are arrogant assholes. I live in Spokane and love it, people are more laid back and more accepting and engaging of others than the westside.

I was offered a job in Seattle that would pay me almost double what I make in Spokane and I won't take it. Life is to short to sit in traffic and rain.

My Dad was the Trainer at WSU.
Moved to San Diego when he got a job with the NBA and the San Diego Rockets. Didnt even get to move into the new house before the team went to Houston.
Which of course ended up being the Houston Rockets.

How do you want to go out?

In a blaze of glory?

Or in a nursing home, drinking your meals through a tube, and the kids never visit?

Bring on the earthquakes!

I want to go out like I came in. Kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood.

The fracking causes instability so it seems to me that would mean a much higher chance of a moderate earthquake since tension cannot build up too high. That would prevent big earthquakes from happening.

Earthquakes come from hundreds of miles under the earth's surface. Fracking occurs a few thousand feet.

You're as likely to invoke and earthquake by jumping up and down in your front yard.

I've been to Portland, Sea-Tacoma. I lived in Eugene-Elmira. They are not ready for a 7.0 either? Are they?

Yes we are.

We have zoning laws and building codes that require buildings to withstand a major shake such as a 7.0. The Space Needle is a very good example. Even though it was built in 1962:

The Space Needle was built to withstand wind speeds of 200 mph (320 km/h), double the requirements in the building code of 1962. The 6.8 Mw  Nisqually earthquake jolted the Needle enough in 2001 for water to slosh out of the toilets in the restrooms. The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1. Also made to withstand Category 5 hurricane-force winds, the Space Needle sways only 1 in (25 mm) per 10 mph (16 km/h) of wind speed.

Meanwhile Ohio and the midwest have done nothing. They have no zoning laws or building codes that require being able to with stand an earthquake.

I live in Seattle.

Ok so I mistakenly thought you were in the east. My apologies.

I was born and raised in Seattle. With the exception of 2 years in the 80s I've lived here all my life.

I'm from over by Lake Washington and the UW.

Where are you?

I live in Seattle.

That's a beautiful area. It's wonderful in the summer.

Bitter cold in the winter.

Yes we are.

even so dana there aint no way that they can say the space needle WILL stand an 8 pointer with minimal damage...

You can't say that. You have no idea how it was made.

Just saying that doesn't make it true.

I believe the engineers who built it over you.

Yes we are.

I live in Seattle.

Ok so I mistakenly thought you were in the east. My apologies.

I was born and raised in Seattle. With the exception of 2 years in the 80s I've lived here all my life.

I'm from over by Lake Washington and the UW.

Where are you?
Renton actually, but I work in Seattle.

I think brooklyn had a 5.0 quake back in the 1800's. That could really ratchet up the death toll if it happened today there.
NY New jersey PA

They have eathquakes in the city they're rare ...the last one we had I felt the building vibrate I thought it was just something heavy on the street like a truck

Its the ramapo fault line ...It runs through PA , NJ , NY ...Friggin Indian point sits practically on top of it
Its an ancient fault line that not very active ....
a 6.0 Old buildings will not do so well
In heavy earth quakes old brick buildings would probably just disintegrate
In NYC hell old buildings sometimes just freaking collapse on their own ..no help from mother nature required

I live in Seattle.

Moved to San Diego when he got a job with the NBA and the San Diego Rockets. Didnt even get to move into the new house before the team went to Houston.

Very cool story.

Yes we are.

You can't say that. You have no idea how it was made.

I believe the engineers who built it over you.
your right....since that area in this century has never had an 8 or 9 pointer how would they know?..so you are right,just saying it can, doesnt mean it can stand one....they can hope it will....

I live in Seattle.

It's cold but it is sunny and the cold isn't a big deal to me. Seattle with the humidity makes that cold pierce right through you. I do love the rocks and minerals you can find in the Seattle area. Oregon and Western Washington are rock hound heaven, our area not so much.

I live in Seattle.

I remember walking up on the roof of the house from a drift,and doing a lot of sledding.

I live in Seattle.

Very cool story.

It was pretty cool hanging out with Hakeem,Moses,Calvin Murphy,Rudy T and a host of other greats.
Was a ballboy for around 3 years and I wont say what I found in John Lucas's locker....other than it was small,silver and shaped like a little spoon.
The old man took it and told me not to say a word.

He's the short guy in the black suit jacket....

Forum List

Back