Midwest fault line could instanntly kill 80,000 people warns FEMA

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
What in the heck is going on? Is our world turned upside down? Kind of, but not really. Folks in the central United States, otherwise known as the Mississippi Valley, are being encouraged to prepare for catastrophic earthquakes. And while the fear may seem unfounded, science is actually speaking to the contrary. A new program called “Shake It Out” is encouraging mass participation in earthquake preparedness events from Ohio all the way down through the southern state of Louisiana.
Midwest Fault Line Could Instantly Kill 80,000 People, Warns FEMA

Well things are getting shady more than most even realize....

How do you want to go out?

In a blaze of glory?

Or in a nursing home, drinking your meals through a tube, and the kids never visit?

Bring on the earthquakes!

What in the heck is going on? Is our world turned upside down? Kind of, but not really. Folks in the central United States, otherwise known as the Mississippi Valley, are being encouraged to prepare for catastrophic earthquakes. And while the fear may seem unfounded, science is actually speaking to the contrary. A new program called “Shake It Out” is encouraging mass participation in earthquake preparedness events from Ohio all the way down through the southern state of Louisiana.

It's just an earthquake.

They'll live.

They don't have CA building codes, do they? Or they did'nt. Those 100 yr old brick buidings are going to crumble around STL, for example.

Last edited:

More Chicken Little stories from Mindwars? It must be a day that ends in a "y".

They dont hav CA building codes, do they? Or the did'nt. Those 100 yr old brick buidings are going to crumble around STL, for example.

So?

Who's fault is that?

The people in California were smart. They enacted proper zoning laws for buildings to withstand an earthquake. They passed laws that reinforced old buildings to withstand earthquakes.

My state did the same thing.

If Ohio and the midwest were too stupid and cheap to pass proper zoning laws and spend the proper amount of money to make their buildings safe from Mother Nature, that's their own fault.

Looks to me like they better get off their butts, take a crow bar to their wallets and start taking the proper steps to make their buildings able to withstand an earthquake.

I've been to Portland, Sea-Tacoma. I lived in Eugene-Elmira. They are not ready for a 7.0 either? Are they?

They dont hav CA building codes, do they? Or the did'nt. Those 100 yr old brick buidings are going to crumble around STL, for example.

So?

Who's fault is that?

The people in California were smart. They enacted proper zoning laws for buildings to withstand an earthquake. They passed laws that reinforced old buildings to withstand earthquakes.

My state did the same thing.

If Ohio and the midwest were too stupid and cheap to pass proper zoning laws and spend the proper amount of money to make their buildings safe from Mother Nature, that's their own fault.

Looks to me like they better get off their butts, take a crow bar to their wallets and start taking the proper steps to make their buildings able to withstand an earthquake.
Casualties would be minimal because many of those Midwest towns are dead already as the industry has died and/or gone overseas.

I've been to Portland, Sea-Tacoma. I lived in Eugene-Elmira. They are not ready for a 7.0 either? Are they?

Yes we are.

We have zoning laws and building codes that require buildings to withstand a major shake such as a 7.0. The Space Needle is a very good example. Even though it was built in 1962:

The Space Needle was built to withstand wind speeds of 200 mph (320 km/h), double the requirements in the building code of 1962. The 6.8 Mw  Nisqually earthquake jolted the Needle enough in 2001 for water to slosh out of the toilets in the restrooms. The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1. Also made to withstand Category 5 hurricane-force winds, the Space Needle sways only 1 in (25 mm) per 10 mph (16 km/h) of wind speed.

Meanwhile Ohio and the midwest have done nothing. They have no zoning laws or building codes that require being able to with stand an earthquake.

They better get their butts in gear. They have a lot of work to do.

Not really. The New Madrid earthquakes back in the 1811, 1812 time frame were so powerful they caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards for three days.

I think their estimate is a bit high, but only a bit. That part of the country doesn't build to the same standards as in earthquake country.

Yes we are.

We have zoning laws and building codes that require buildings to withstand a major shake such as a 7.0. The Space Needle is a very good example. Even though it was built in 1962:

The Space Needle was built to withstand wind speeds of 200 mph (320 km/h), double the requirements in the building code of 1962. The 6.8 Mw  Nisqually earthquake jolted the Needle enough in 2001 for water to slosh out of the toilets in the restrooms. The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1. Also made to withstand Category 5 hurricane-force winds, the Space Needle sways only 1 in (25 mm) per 10 mph (16 km/h) of wind speed.

Meanwhile Ohio and the midwest have done nothing. They have no zoning laws or building codes that require being able to with stand an earthquake.

Spend trillions to prevent damage to buildings that may never happen? Perfect liberal logic!

We had a 4.3 earthquake here about 12 years ago. The light swaying above the dining room table, and a low rumble were the only indication and I thought it was a train on the nearby tracks.

Anyone who has ever studied eathquakes knows about their potential impact in God's country because of the New Madrid fault. Chicken Little is a live and well and posting on USMB!

Not really. The New Madrid earthquakes back in the 1811, 1812 time frame were so powerful they caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards for three days.

I think their estimate is a bit high, but only a bit. That part of the country doesn't build to the same standards as in earthquake country.

I have never gotten how that would even be possible and believe it to be nothing more than an old wive's tale.

Yes we are.

The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1.
there is no way they can say that.....in S.Cal there were new buildings and bridges damaged during the 6.7 we had in Northridge....those buildings were supposed to be good for bigger quakes to,so they thought.....many had serious damage....

Yes we are.

Spend trillions to prevent damage to buildings that may never happen? Perfect liberal logic!

We had a 4.3 earthquake here about 12 years ago. The light swaying above the dining room table, and a low rumble were the only indication and I thought it was a train on the nearby tracks.

Anyone who has ever studied eathquakes knows about their potential impact in God's country because of the New Madrid fault. Chicken Little is a live and well and posting on USMB!

I'm not the one who posted the article about the major faults in the east like chicken little.

I'm the one saying they will live.

If you people want to whine about earthquakes and your infrastructure then do something about it.

Or not but don't coming running to the rest of us with your hands out for our tax dollars when your buildings fall apart in an earthquake.

Yes we are.

The Space Needle will not sustain serious structural damage during earthquakes of magnitudes below 9.1.
there is no way they can say that.....in S.Cal there were new buildings and bridges damaged during the 6.7 we had in Northridge....those buildings were supposed to be good for bigger quakes to,so they thought.....many had serious damage....

They did say it.

If you don't like it. That's your problem.

Yes we are.

They did say it.

If you don't like it. That's your problem.
and if you want to believe that,that is your problem....me and many others know better....

Yes we are.

Concrete bridges are far more brittle than the Space Needle. The Needle can sway with no problem.

Forum List

Back