Midnight Posters?

BrianH

Mar 10, 2008
Texas
I am a plant operator and often work the night shift. This is why I end up having time to post on USMB at night. I have noticed that there are alot of posters on here at night as well and was curious as to what allowed for everyone to do so...I know it's possible that it's actually daytime where some of the posters here live, but just thought it would be interesting to find out what allowed everyone to post at night!

Ah.. My wife allows me to post at night...:lol:

I'm a natural night owl, always have been...

I am a plant operator and often work the night shift. This is why I end up having time to post on USMB at night. I have noticed that there are alot of posters on here at night as well and was curious as to what allowed for everyone to do so...I know it's possible that it's actually daytime where some of the posters here live, but just thought it would be interesting to find out what allowed everyone to post at night!

This is morning for me, 3:45 am. I sleep but sometimes wake up too early so I just get up.

Snow here in Ohio this morning.

Ok cool. Got the ball rolling.

I end up working about 7 nights in a month, so I have time to post at night. I've never worked nights before this job so it really suprised me to get responses at 1:00 A.M. lol.

I end up working about 7 nights in a month, so I have time to post at night. I've never worked nights before this job so it really suprised me to get responses at 1:00 A.M. lol.

So... what are you operating?

This board is fairly active. Hope you're feeling welcome so far.

Brine treatment facility. We sit on top of a salt dome. Our company(next door) solution mines salt by drilling wells and pumping fresh water into them creating super-saturated saltwater. (Like 10 pounds of salt per gallon). Then they pipe it to us and we treat the "bad" minerals (calcium, silica, etc...) out of it by adding certain chemicals and then eventually filtering out the chemicals. It comes out like crystal clear drinking water but is full of salt. We then pipe it to another plant that evaporates the water and then breaks down the salt (sodium chloride) at the molecular level (using electrolysis I think). This creates sodium and chloride. They then use the chlorine to make plastics such as PVC.

I'm usually up by now getting ready for work (except for weekends) but have been on the Internet most of tonight. I'm in my wife's hospital room at Bethesda Naval Hospital.

I'm usually up by now getting ready for work (except for weekends) but have been on the Internet most of tonight. I'm in my wife's hospital room at Bethesda Naval Hospital.

Sorry to hear that. Is she ok?

She had an infection associated with her double mastectomy 4 weeks ago. She seems to be doing good and I will hopefully take her home today.

I am retired. I tend to sleep during the day and am usually up late night and early morning. Less posters less to weed through. Usually I skip the 2000 plus posts from the day posters and start fresh. I tend to just read the new stuff, almost never follow a thread other then if it is on the new list.

Brine treatment facility. We sit on top of a salt dome. Our company(next door) solution mines salt by drilling wells and pumping fresh water into them creating super-saturated saltwater. (Like 10 pounds of salt per gallon). Then they pipe it to us and we treat the "bad" minerals (calcium, silica, etc...) out of it by adding certain chemicals and then eventually filtering out the chemicals. It comes out like crystal clear drinking water but is full of salt. We then pipe it to another plant that evaporates the water and then breaks down the salt (sodium chloride) at the molecular level (using electrolysis I think). This creates sodium and chloride. They then use the chlorine to make plastics such as PVC.

So it's similar to a desalinization plant, except you are getting rid of the water.

Essentially, your job is to watch water boil?

I mostly post in the early AM (sometimes starting at 4 or so) through mid morn.

I am, of late, an early riser, mostly because (of late) I fall asleep early.

She had an infection associated with her double mastectomy 4 weeks ago. She seems to be doing good and I will hopefully take her home today.

Well that sucks. I hope she gets to feeling better.

So it's similar to a desalinization plant, except you are getting rid of the water.

Essentially, your job is to watch water boil?

Negative....the plant we send the brine to is boiling the water off. But it's more complicated than that, they then use electrolysis to separate the sodium chloride molecule. After separating it, they use the chlorine to make plastic.

As far as I go, I add chemicals to the saltwater in order to make calcium, magnesium, silica, and other minerals literally "fall out" of the process. We then filter these solids out of the process by using really big filters.

Just to give you some examples of what I do. We react this saltwater with chemicals in six 1 million gallon tanks. It goes through the process and we end up storing it in three 1.6 million gallon tanks. My job involves all of the above. There is only one operator on duty during each shift. We pretty much monitor computers, turn valves, start and stop pumps, increase or decrease chemical setpoints, run chemical samples in the lab, take hourly readings, etc... (Slightly more complicated than "watching water boil"

Forum List

Back