Midnight. Never fails.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Spammers descend. It's irritating for west coasters who don't go to bed until 1am and people in other countries where its noon but want to post here. Can't even read the damn board. Is there nothing you can do????

The measures we have taken has cut back tremendously on the amount of spam we WERE getting. The spam filters do not look at the subject of a thread, only the content inside the post. If you take a look at one of the chinese threads that slip in now, you'd notice that they can't put any chinese letters in the body of the post. Our filters strip that out. The only downside to them is that they don't look at the titles, as I stated above. It HAS, however, cut down on the number of spammers; we have far less than what we were getting.

The measures we have taken has cut back tremendously on the amount of spam we WERE getting. The spam filters do not look at the subject of a thread, only the content inside the post. If you take a look at one of the chinese threads that slip in now, you'd notice that they can't put any chinese letters in the body of the post. Our filters strip that out. The only downside to them is that they don't look at the titles, as I stated above. It HAS, however, cut down on the number of spammers; we have far less than what we were getting.

Couldn't you prevent any new posters from creating new threads until they've posted so many comments? Like 25-50 comments before they are allowed to start a thread maybe?

Spammers descend. It's irritating for west coasters who don't go to bed until 1am and people in other countries where its noon but want to post here. Can't even read the damn board. Is there nothing you can do????

Like 4, 5 or 6 a.m. my time is when I see the Chinese spammers. It is irritating then too. I imagine it would be irritating anytime you are trying to post. :D

Like 4, 5 or 6 a.m. my time is when I see the Chinese spammers. It is irritating then too. I imagine it would be irritating anytime you are trying to post. :D
I've never had trouble reading the board when the spammers are on. It just kind of clogs the new topics list, same as when longknife gets crackin.

Couldn't you prevent any new posters from creating new threads until they've posted so many comments? Like 25-50 comments before they are allowed to start a thread maybe?
That is a great idea!

If we changed the number of posts someone has to make before they can make a thread, then new members would not be able to make an intro thread until after they've been posting for a while. That would defeat the purpose of the Intro Section.

If we changed the number of posts someone has to make before they can make a thread, then new members would not be able to make an intro thread until after they've been posting for a while. That would defeat the purpose of the Intro Section.

Only allow them make a thread there then. I know it can be done. That is how they ran things on another forum I was a member of with a similar platform to this one. All of a new poster's posts were also reviewed by moderation before they were actually "posted." It could take a couple of days for your post to show up during your probationary period sometimes. It was inconvenient and annoying but a good way to stop spammers.

Forum List

Back