Middle School passes kids to High School - even those that didn't deserve it

-Cp said:
Today, San Ysidro Middle School will recognize 516 eighth-graders in a ceremony to promote them to high school, regardless of whether they passed middle school.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/education/20050624-9999-6m24promote.html

Wow, glad to see this in the news. I think I'll email it to the principal of my school, then again, maybe not. We're just starting to get along again.

Not this past year, but 2 years ago, I failed 2 students each quarter, so did another teacher. They could NOT be passed. Both of us refused to 'promote' leading to the 'certificate of completion' which is all that an 8th grader can accomplish, they are not 'graduating' anything. They were allowed to participate in the ceremony, but did not get the 'certificate' in reality. Believe it or not, they both had problems with the public high school, since neither would be accepted into Catholic high schools, (which know how little it takes to get the certificate.) They both had to enter as 'special ed' students, though neither were. After 2 years, they are doing better, I'm glad to report.

Sad to say, the public schools had higher standards than the principal at my school.

Forum List

Back