Middle class could face higher taxes under Republican plan, analysis finds

I don't think RDD has the intellectual prowess to grasp what you're saying, Dave. it seems like a battle that can never be won. Unfortunately, we have an entire divide in the country based right off this very line of non-thinking.

It takes "intellectual prowess" such as yours to support politicians who want to raise your taxes while convincing you that it's in your best interest. Smart guy you are.

Explain to me how this plan increases my taxes. If you would actually explain something instead of making snarky remarks that in a face to face conversation would likely get you smacked, we might actually get beyond this childish bickering and get to heart of the matter.

If you take a mortgage interest deduction, that goes away under the GOP plan.

If your employer contributes to your heath insurance coverage, that contribution would become taxable as income to you.

Those are just two examples. The OP article cites others.

As stated SO many fucking times...

I strive for equality in treatment without subjective criteria... like a sales tax that does not sway because you earn $20K while Joe Blow earns $200K... the very same blind OBJECTIVITY and SIMPLICITY in income taxation

I am not about who benefits and who don't.. who should sacrifice more while someone else sacrifices less.. that is your SUBJECTIVE criteria

We benefit from equal treatment and we also sacrifice for it... and it is not based on someone boo hooing more than someone else

There should be NOBODY excluded from the sacrifice of paying for our government and the running of it... and if someone actually has a stake in the game, rather than deriving benefit, while contributing nothing or little, at the expense of others, our government may not remain as out of control as it is now... don't think people complain or worry about government debt growing when they have no burden in paying for it

Simple yes or no.

Should the taxes on the poor and middle class who currently don't pay federal income taxes be raised?

To clarify, we're talking about income taxes, since the poor already pay just as much excise tax as everyone else.

Oh I know, thats a whole different topic. But you give these nutters too many questions and they shut down. You have to move really slow with them.

There it is, the 46% or whatever that you constantly bitch about should pay more taxes according to you. Raising taxes on the poor and middle class is the best option for our country according to you and those who have brainwashed you. Thanks for proving the point of the OP.

Basic needs are not subjective, but your system of "equality" certainly is.

Increase taxes on the poor and middle class. The real path to prosperity! Yah, be proud!

EVERYONE should have equal % burden in taxation.. PERIOD.. EQUAL TREATMENT BY GOVERNMENT UNDER LAW

Just because you and those like you have warped the system to make it that those who meet your subjective criteria can cry and force others to pay while they do not, does not make it right

Basic needs are something that YOU are responsible for YOURSELF.. it is not the responsibility of someone else to have things taken from them to meet your basic needs simply because you want it

You want prosperity, earning is the only way to get it.. you do not breed prosperity by handing things out to others who do nothing in return... working people bring prosperity and can achieve success... entitlement junkies burden society, and do not bring prosperity to it

Keep repeating the same shit over and over. Maybe someone will believe it. You're a living, breathing talking point.

Again, basic needs are not subjective. Everyone, rich or poor have the same basic needs. That's what makes them basic. This is where your entire argument falls apart. By imposing a completely flat tax you are making the acquisition of those basic needs much more difficult for the poor. Thus your idea of equal is anything but and why we don't have your narrow minded system in place.

Again.. basic needs for you are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.. not the responsibility of others... and whether you struggle to meet them, or work 3 jobs to overcome them to gain a little extra, or have an easy time meeting them is of NO CONSEQUENCE....

Because the MINUTE you start bringing in your subjective views of fairness that you tie to them, you bring in unequal treatment, pandering, and selective inequality to make up for it all, of course at the expense of others who you FEEL can benefit you

As stated SO many fucking times...

I strive for equality in treatment without subjective criteria... like a sales tax that does not sway because you earn $20K while Joe Blow earns $200K... the very same blind OBJECTIVITY and SIMPLICITY in income taxation

I am not about who benefits and who don't.. who should sacrifice more while someone else sacrifices less.. that is your SUBJECTIVE criteria

We benefit from equal treatment and we also sacrifice for it... and it is not based on someone boo hooing more than someone else

There should be NOBODY excluded from the sacrifice of paying for our government and the running of it... and if someone actually has a stake in the game, rather than deriving benefit, while contributing nothing or little, at the expense of others, our government may not remain as out of control as it is now... don't think people complain or worry about government debt growing when they have no burden in paying for it

Simple yes or no.

Should the taxes on the poor and middle class who currently don't pay federal income taxes be raised?

To clarify, we're talking about income taxes, since the poor already pay just as much excise tax as everyone else.

Yes.. we are talking about income taxes....

Everyone already pays the same gas tax on every gallon, etc... I never said the poor or the lower middle class pay nothing in taxes.. but they do indeed have zero or close to zero burden in federal income tax, which is by definition unequal treatment by government under law...

And opening up the difference in taxes in various states, localities, etc is a whole other can of worms and specific to where you live

It takes "intellectual prowess" such as yours to support politicians who want to raise your taxes while convincing you that it's in your best interest. Smart guy you are.

Explain to me how this plan increases my taxes. If you would actually explain something instead of making snarky remarks that in a face to face conversation would likely get you smacked, we might actually get beyond this childish bickering and get to heart of the matter.

If your employer contributes to your heath insurance coverage, that contribution would become taxable as income to you.

Yes... all deductions go away... equal treatment for all on every dollar earned without exception... just like a sales tax does not discriminate on income or whether you buy a $40 chair or a $40000 chair

All breaks SHOULD go away.. for they are subjective in nature and pander to only certain groups...

But when you simplify the system, the supporting system should shrink and cost less.. and when you couple that with reducing spending, eliminating entitlements etc, the cost of government should decrease... meaning that the necessary tax rate to support the government should also decrease...

Again.. equality in treatment instead of having government slobbering all over itself with backroom deals, pandering for votes by giving more subjective breaks and exemptions, and all that shit

You think a sales tax is unfair?? $0.06 on every dollar regardless of what you earn or what you own? I mean, you're not getting a break because you and your group had your vote bought by some politician promising zero taxes on Chevy cars and plastic lawn chairs because they suit your lifestyle.. how is that fair?

Fine. If you eliminate cut rate taxes on interest, capital gains, and dividends, since they too are special treatment. Why not also tax those who transfer property due to death? Why should that income not be taxed at a regular rate.

Hey, maybe we should get rid of the limited liability that corporations enjoy, and allow those who are damaged corporate acts to sue all the owners, and not just on hand assets?

Will corporations who buy goods and services also pay your flat sales tax, or will they receive special treatment?

Yes.. eliminate special rates on capital gains, etc...

I am for equal ZERO taxation on what you pass to your family when you die.. for what has been earned has already been taxed... I don't care if it is only a TV and a jalopy that you have handed to you, or if it is a mansion and a stock portfolio... but if you sell those things in the future or earn income off of them, then you would indeed be taxed on that income

No corporation nor any entity would receive special treatment... and all would be taxed equally without loophole or deduction on all earnings.. on a flat rate... eliminating any special treatment by government that is exploited for power or benefit

So if you sell your home or stocks on the day before you die, you're responsible for the tax on any realized gains. If you transfer the property by a will the day after you die, no one should realize that as a capital gain? That's special treatment. Same goes for anything that appreciates in value.

Why not just audit the estate, and only tax those unrealized gains as ordinary income. Hell, you can even show capital losses to go against those gains.

Either income is income, and all income is taxed equally, or you still want special cases.

Should all excise taxes and tariffs, also be repealed? Don't they create special classes?

You are aware that a plan like yours would result in the most wealthy starting a Brooks Brothers armed insurrection.

Yes... all deductions go away... equal treatment for all on every dollar earned without exception... just like a sales tax does not discriminate on income or whether you buy a $40 chair or a $40000 chair

Will you also do away with limited liability for corporate entities, and hold all owners personally liable for damages?

EVERYONE should have equal % burden in taxation.. PERIOD.. EQUAL TREATMENT BY GOVERNMENT UNDER LAW

Just because you and those like you have warped the system to make it that those who meet your subjective criteria can cry and force others to pay while they do not, does not make it right

Basic needs are something that YOU are responsible for YOURSELF.. it is not the responsibility of someone else to have things taken from them to meet your basic needs simply because you want it

You want prosperity, earning is the only way to get it.. you do not breed prosperity by handing things out to others who do nothing in return... working people bring prosperity and can achieve success... entitlement junkies burden society, and do not bring prosperity to it

Keep repeating the same shit over and over. Maybe someone will believe it. You're a living, breathing talking point.

Again, basic needs are not subjective. Everyone, rich or poor have the same basic needs. That's what makes them basic. This is where your entire argument falls apart. By imposing a completely flat tax you are making the acquisition of those basic needs much more difficult for the poor. Thus your idea of equal is anything but and why we don't have your narrow minded system in place.

Again.. basic needs for you are YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.. not the responsibility of others... and whether you struggle to meet them, or work 3 jobs to overcome them to gain a little extra, or have an easy time meeting them is of NO CONSEQUENCE....

Because the MINUTE you start bringing in your subjective views of fairness that you tie to them, you bring in unequal treatment, pandering, and selective inequality to make up for it all, of course at the expense of others who you FEEL can benefit you

Nothing about what I said is subjective or unequal. All humans have the same basic needs. All people are subjected to the same tax rates. Even if we did a completely flat tax with only an exception on the first say $20,000 to allow for people to pay for basic needs (food, shelter, healthcare), you would still have a problem with it, because your SUBJECTIVE opinion of equal would see that those people who earn less than $20,000 a year are getting off easy. So yeah, once again, you're an idiot who can't think in anything but Fox News talking points.

Fine. If you eliminate cut rate taxes on interest, capital gains, and dividends, since they too are special treatment. Why not also tax those who transfer property due to death? Why should that income not be taxed at a regular rate.

Hey, maybe we should get rid of the limited liability that corporations enjoy, and allow those who are damaged corporate acts to sue all the owners, and not just on hand assets?

Will corporations who buy goods and services also pay your flat sales tax, or will they receive special treatment?

I am for equal ZERO taxation on what you pass to your family when you die.. for what has been earned has already been taxed... I don't care if it is only a TV and a jalopy that you have handed to you, or if it is a mansion and a stock portfolio... but if you sell those things in the future or earn income off of them, then you would indeed be taxed on that income

No corporation nor any entity would receive special treatment... and all would be taxed equally without loophole or deduction on all earnings.. on a flat rate... eliminating any special treatment by government that is exploited for power or benefit

So if you sell your home or stocks on the day before you die, you're responsible for the tax on any realized gains. If you transfer the property by a will the day after you die, no one should realize that as a capital gain? That's special treatment. Same goes for anything that appreciates in value.

Why not just audit the estate, and only tax those unrealized gains as ordinary income. Hell, you can even show capital losses to go against those gains.

Either income is income, and all income is taxed equally, or you still want special cases.

Should all excise taxes and tariffs, also be repealed? Don't they create special classes?

You are aware that a plan like yours would result in the most wealthy starting a Brooks Brothers armed insurrection.

You sell something, you are earning income from it.... you continue living in the house your father was in or your husband was in, you are not GAINING anything... you don't live in that house and you get it and you sell it, then you are gaining SOMETHING... keeping an asset in family is not gaining... now if the asset is given or 'sold' to someone outside the family, that is someone else gaining (unless it is something like a charitable donation)

And an excise or sales tax, if equal across the board, is still equality in treatment.. if you say that person X pays the tax because he earns $100k and person Y does not because he earns $10k, then it is unequal treatment and I would not be in support of it

And your scare tactic of 'armed insurrection' is meaningless fear mongering

Will you also do away with limited liability for corporate entities, and hold all owners personally liable for damages?

That has nothing to do with taxation.. which is the discussion here.. whether a corporation is liable for damages in whatever case is a whole other can of worms

I'm middle to lower class in the income brackets in NYC. You truly have no point. You can not even debate, you only know how to inject snarky sarcasm that you probably think makes you look smart.
When it only really makes you look like a smart ass troll that has no point.

Explain how the plan raises my taxes.

Well I've been told that people such as yourself who make up the lower middle class are the one who are "not sacrificing enough". Dave told me that. Good news though. The republican plan will broaden and flatten the tax base to ensure people such as yourself are able to pay more in taxes and get yourself on the fast track to prosperity.

OK, you didn't answer the question. And Dave did not say that. He is talking about the 46% of people that pay no federal income tax at all. I happen to work and pay taxes, therefore I am contributing.

I agree with Dave. If nearly half the population is paying nothing into the system and the rest are being asked to dish out even more to meet short falls, where is the equality in this? The answer; there is n't any. It's the same thing as SS, medicare, etc...these programs take from some for the direct benefit of others. under our laws, this is unconstitutional in practice. It literally breaches the general welfare clause of the constitution.

And you still haven't answered my question.

Right. A bunch of "ifs".

Taking away burdensome incentives to get things beyond my means is not a raise on taxation. At best it is de-incentiving things the govt. can not afford in the first place.

Nothing about what I said is subjective or unequal. All humans have the same basic needs. All people are subjected to the same tax rates. Even if we did a completely flat tax with only an exception on the first say $20,000 to allow for people to pay for basic needs (food, shelter, healthcare), you would still have a problem with it, because your SUBJECTIVE opinion of equal would see that those people who earn less than $20,000 a year are getting off easy. So yeah, once again, you're an idiot who can't think in anything but Fox News talking points.

Yes.. it is subjective.. because you consider the situation and weigh feeling about fairness because of how subjectively difficult it could be or whatever

A tax floor is a disguised progressive tax system which is by definition unequal treatment.. sorry.. and this has been shown to you before...

Subtracting the first 20K of income means: (assuming a 10% tax rate for ease)
Someone earning 19K pays ZERO % on all income
Someone earning 30K pays 3.3% on all income
Someone earning 50K pays 6% on all income
Someone earning 100K pays 8% on all income
Someone earning 1M pays 9.8% on all income

See... a disguised graduated tax.. no dice... not equal treatment by government under law

Equal is equal... unequal is unequal..

You sell something, you are earning income from it.... you continue living in the house your father was in or your husband was in, you are not GAINING anything... you don't live in that house and you get it and you sell it, then you are gaining SOMETHING... keeping an asset in family is not gaining... now if the asset is given or 'sold' to someone outside the family, that is someone else gaining (unless it is something like a charitable donation)

But what if you sell that house, car, stock portfolio, etc. the day after you inherit it? Should there then be zero gain? That's pretty special treatment you're asking for. Since you paid zero for the house, or stock, should it be taxed at 100% ordinary income?

As for charity, under your plan, nothing would be no charitable deductions from other income, so again, you're now adding another special class.

You're also saying that tariffs and other excise taxes shouldn't be considered a special class, in spite of the fact that the government can pick and choose what to tax. But that's fine. I gather you'd support a luxury tax then. How about homes with over 3,000 sq/ft and boats greater than 26' and cars that get less than 25 mpg?

Last edited:

But what if you sell that house, car, stock portfolio, etc. the day after you inherit it? Should there then be zero gain? That's pretty special treatment you're asking for.

As for charity, under your plan, nothing would be no charitable deductions from other income, so again, you're now adding another special class.

You're also saying that tariffs and other excise taxes shouldn't be considered a special class, in spite of the fact that the government can pick and choose what to tax. But that's fine. I gather you'd support a luxury tax then. How about homes with over 3,000 sq/ft and boats greater than 26' and cars that get less than 25 mpg?

I specifically addressed that... if you inherit something and you decide you do not want it, and you sell it for whatever... THEN it is income...

Just because you get no charitable deductions does not mean people will not donate to charity.. and when you donate something, you are not deriving income from it, hence you are not taxed for it... if you wish to discuss taxing charitable organizations, that is a whole other can of worms and a debate on whether they are doing it for 'gain' or whatever...

I addressed the excise tax in terms of how it is applied... I do not believe in a national sales tax... but you see what I mean (I hope) that an excise tax on Gas (for example) is taxed for every unit at the same rate without subjective criteria on whether the customer earns X amount or X+60 amount

I support no luxury tax... for it creates criteria based on a value and treats things of the same type differently... if you sales tax a rowboat that costs $300 at 5%, you best sales tax the yacht that costs $10MIL at the same 5%

Last edited:
In reading this discussion, I am reminded of this quote:

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
Anatole France, The Red Lily, 1894, chapter 7
French novelist (1844 - 1924)

It is one thing to be a troll.

It is another to be an ignorant troll.

Are you disputing the Tax Foundation report, or any facts contained therein? If not, you're clearly the troll on this thread. The facts, as they stand, demonstrate that the GOP plan will significantly raise taxes on the middle class, while drastically reducing taxes on those who make $1,000,000 or more.

It also seems that ignorance is your forte.

Facts? The "fact" is that the Democrats who made this report up ASSUMED to know what the GOP tax proposals would encompass. All the Tax Foundation report states is IF the tax proposals were carried out as the Democrats have ASSUMED then taxes would go up on the Middle Class. That doesn't mean that there actually IS a GOP plan that does that...it just means that the Democrats who made this report were able to formulate a GOP plan that did.

Forum List

Back