Middle America's soul

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.Conley, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    If you want to understand America, turn that dial to a country-music station

Continued at http://www.economist.com/world/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8345548

2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    It's funny though-- I'm from New Jersey and I've rarely seen people get into country music...and the people who I grew up around were not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

So why does the middle class in the southern portion stick with country and my friends always listened to rap (which I don't really like)?

3. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Urbanization, purchasing power, cultural differences, industrial vs. agricultural economies, education level, divorce rates, weather, population levels, history, non-suckiness, could be any number of factors.

Personally I hate country music. I avoid that stuff like a 14th century serf avoided plague-bearers. That said, I thought the article gave an interesting perspective.

4. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I avoid it more than a girl with syphilis...especially considering Nirvana is my favorite band (you couldn't have a more drastic genre to contrast country with).

Great article though.

5. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes, an interesting article. Country is the only music some people, like myself, can understand the words to. Most of it now days is just screaming into a microphone and if you could understand the words, they wouldn't have any meaning anyway. But there isn't any country music any more. It turned into rock & Roll a few years ago. I have CDs now if I want to listen to real Country. In my opinion, when they let the beatles off the airplane in the 60s, that started the downhill slide of the United States because kids were vurnable to trash like that. Then it eventually went downhill again with rap. We're at the bottom now so there is no way to go but up from here.