@*(&^&^% Microsoft!!!!!

Tried playing with a bunch of Ubuntu and Mint flavors as Ubuntu (Unity) would freeze when waking up from suspend. Had loaded Kubuntu on my test desktop and absolutely love it so let's put it on my laptop..... Nope, damn thing freezes every time I click on continue after selecting replace (current OS). Yes, I've burned and tried different discs downloaded to the Windows and Linux computers.
I'm back to using Ubuntu (Unity) as out of all I've been able to try on this laptop it's still my favorite. Now all I have to do is find out why it freezes on wakeup andhow to fix it.
I also tried to test Fedora (regular and KDE) but the laptop doesn't see the ISO disc and it just boots to the existing OS. :dunno:

Don't suspend? ;)

Tried playing with a bunch of Ubuntu and Mint flavors as Ubuntu (Unity) would freeze when waking up from suspend. Had loaded Kubuntu on my test desktop and absolutely love it so let's put it on my laptop..... Nope, damn thing freezes every time I click on continue after selecting replace (current OS). Yes, I've burned and tried different discs downloaded to the Windows and Linux computers.
I'm back to using Ubuntu (Unity) as out of all I've been able to try on this laptop it's still my favorite. Now all I have to do is find out why it freezes on wakeup andhow to fix it.
I also tried to test Fedora (regular and KDE) but the laptop doesn't see the ISO disc and it just boots to the existing OS. :dunno:

Don't suspend? ;)
Tried to set it up but it still goes to sleep. Haven't figured out why yet.

Don't suspend? ;)
Tried to set it up but it still goes to sleep. Haven't figured out why yet.

I haven't had an issue with Mint. I didn't use Ubuntu long enough to have the slightest clue about what the issue could be. :lol:

Have fun browsing Ubuntu forums! :D

Hmm...I woul boot up on a usb drive...then unmount the HD and run fsck on that disk.
Sounds like a hardware issue to me...maybe some bad sectors.
Been awhile since I have ran fsck, I do know you need to unmount the drive first.
man fsck command will provide details on how to use it. I also think there are some linux disk tools that you can run from a usb drive if fsck gives you a headache.

Hmm...I woul boot up on a usb drive...then unmount the HD and run fsck on that disk.
Sounds like a hardware issue to me...maybe some bad sectors.
Been awhile since I have ran fsck, I do know you need to unmount the drive first.
man fsck command will provide details on how to use it. I also think there are some linux disk tools that you can run from a usb drive if fsck gives you a headache.
Well I'm really not that worried about it besides my Geekinese isn't that good, only understood about half of what you were saying........ :eusa_whistle:

Dayamn, found my old XP disc buried in an old computer software box I just unpacked. It's currently being loaded on my test computer to see how it will run on newer hardware and if it runs well I may just use it to play older games ( I have) that won't run on anything above Vista.

Dayamn, found my old XP disc buried in an old computer software box I just unpacked. It's currently being loaded on my test computer to see how it will run on newer hardware and if it runs well I may just use it to play older games ( I have) that won't run on anything above Vista.

You couldn't run them with DOSBox or something similar?

Yes I could but I find running them on DOSBox is pretty slow.
The biggest issue I have right now is connecting it to my home network, haven't had to manually configure a network in eons and forgot how. :lol:

My Gaming desktop just updated and something in the update broke it........ Having to do a reset right now........ FUCKING PISSED!!!!!!! Will probably revert it back to Win 7........

One thing that is so annoying, is that it forces updates. You do not get options. You can go back and remove the update though. But, it keeps putting it back in.
i did that with something....and eventually MS fixed it.

The biggest issue I have right now is connecting it to my home network, haven't had to manually configure a network in eons and forgot how. :lol:
DOSbox artificially reduces your clock rate because many games used to rely on that for timing as well as some are unable to recognize faster clock rates for minimum system requirements. Then you are unable to get them to install. There is a key combo that speeds it up though (and dosbox will tell you what it is if you type in help I believe). Have you tried this? I had to use this when running Betrayal at Krondor and everything worked fine after stepping up the clock rate 10 or 15 times.

DOSbox artificially reduces your clock rate because many games used to rely on that for timing as well as some are unable to recognize faster clock rates for minimum system requirements. Then you are unable to get them to install. There is a key combo that speeds it up though (and dosbox will tell you what it is if you type in help I believe). Have you tried this? I had to use this when running Betrayal at Krondor and everything worked fine after stepping up the clock rate 10 or 15 times.
I know what clock rate is........ As for the rest, I know what clock rate is........ :lol:

I know what clock rate is........ As for the rest, I know what clock rate is........ :lol:
LOL.

Ctrl-F12. Speeds up the emulated processor.

Performance - DOSBoxWiki
Has some other speed tweaks there as well. Nothing should run slowly on dosbox considering that the power requirements for these programs is in an age when the Pentium was lightning fast. The wiki claims that dosbox tries to match the program needs but I have never seen that as a reliable factor. It almost always started off to slow for me but after speeding it up everything works very well in my experience.

I've been having a weird issue where every time I boot to my Win7 partition, the clock is 5 hours ahead. I just go and have it recheck the internet clock it's set on, but it's annoying. :p

I wonder if Windows is upset it isn't my main partition on this PC? :lol:

I think I have fixed the problem.

Apparently it's an issue with how the OS's view the hardware clock. Linux looks at the UTC/GMT time, while Windows looks at local time. I could have changed the registry in Windows, but instead I did a little edit in Linux so that it doesn't default to UTC.

A quick boot from Linux to Windows kept the same time. Hopefully that's done with.

The only problem I had was taking a while figuring out just HOW to edit the file I needed to change. I don't use the command line much, so when I go searching for a fix and the answers I get just say, "Edit /etc/default/rcS so UTC=no" I have to spend way too long determining how I actually do that. Eventually I found a post that explained in layman's terms (actually, it gave me a command to do it in GUI). That's my big complaint about Linux (outside of game incompatibility) : when people discuss it they usually assume the reader is more knowledgeable about things than I am. Then I have to go find help to understand the help. :lol:

I've been having a weird issue where every time I boot to my Win7 partition, the clock is 5 hours ahead. I just go and have it recheck the internet clock it's set on, but it's annoying. :p

Apparently it's an issue with how the OS's view the hardware clock. Linux looks at the UTC/GMT time, while Windows looks at local time. I could have changed the registry in Windows, but instead I did a little edit in Linux so that it doesn't default to UTC.

A quick boot from Linux to Windows kept the same time. Hopefully that's done with.

The only problem I had was taking a while figuring out just HOW to edit the file I needed to change. I don't use the command line much, so when I go searching for a fix and the answers I get just say, "Edit /etc/default/rcS so UTC=no" I have to spend way too long determining how I actually do that. Eventually I found a post that explained in layman's terms (actually, it gave me a command to do it in GUI). That's my big complaint about Linux (outside of game incompatibility) : when people discuss it they usually assume the reader is more knowledgeable about things than I am. Then I have to go find help to understand the help. :lol:
People tend to forget that the vast majority of people are like they were once, ignorant of how to do what they do now.
Because I know a little most people assume I know a lot, I have to explain their misassumption and ask for detailed , step by step instructions STARTING at step one, not step 10.

True...
Just FYI in case you run into a similar situation someday...in Linux if you need to edit any system file like that, simply do a "sudo pico [PATH]" command. So in this case the command would be sudo pico /etc/default/rcS
sudo makes the command as superuser, which is required to alter any system file. Which is a good thing. Linux isolates all system files, requiring a password to edit them. One of the reasons it is much harder to write a virus to infect a Linux machine. "pico" is a built-in simple text editor in virtually all Linux distros.

Forum List

Back