microsoft update: now explorer refuses to open

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
okay......its updating at night...critical update...then when i try to open browser....it wont open...wants to delete the program....i do a restore.....it works....but it will update tonight and stop again...wth is microsoft doing to its own browser...

i am running ....o hell i dont know....its a recent windows ....but i really dont know....why is this happening...and what do i do...

who knew you little geeks with slider rulers would one day rule the world?

your still using microsoft? try google chrome or firefox.

theyre both better than m/s.

okay......its updating at night...critical update...then when i try to open browser....it wont open...wants to delete the program....i do a restore.....it works....but it will update tonight and stop again...wth is microsoft doing to its own browser...

i am running ....o hell i dont know....its a recent windows ....but i really dont know....why is this happening...and what do i do...

Try this:
If Internet Explorer 8 flashes and closes immediately when you try to start it, there may be some settings in Internet Explorer 7 that were not working correctly. To resolve the problem, follow these steps:
1. Uninstall Internet Explorer 8
2. Restart your computer, and then open Internet Explorer 7.
3. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. Follow any on-screen directions.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7.
6. Reinstall Internet Explorer 8.
If that doesn't work:
1. Click START | RUN and type cmd
2. In the command prompt, type cd\
3. In the command prompt, type cd Program Files
4. In the command prompt, type cd Internet Explorer
5. In the command prompt, type regsvr32 IEPROXY.DLL
6. You should get a confirmation that the IEPROXY.DLL has been registered. You can then close all windows and try Internet Explorer again.
Then download and install FireFox and stay away from IE.

i have foxfire...but its da mans browser.....

i need to do something......this is crazy....they do an update and stop your explorer?????

Personally, I like Opera and Chrome better than Firefox, although Firefox 4 looks pretty good (from the beta version). Except that the linux version of Firefox 4 doesn't impress me so I'll stick to Chromium and Opera 11 there.

Sometimes when you download a program for something or other on your computer, you get an "option" to also install "other" stuff, like the Yahoo Toolbar/ In an underhanded manner, they pre-echeck that option so you must always be careful not to move too fast. Uncheck it first.

The other day my Internet Explorer stopped opening (I usually use Firefox, but some applications open with IE by default when they need to go to the net). Anyway, I realized quickly that it was the new Yahoo crap that was gumming up the works. I had screwed up. I forgot to uncheck the box.... My bad. Yahoo blows. So I went to Control Panel and removed the new Yahoo Toolbar application. Suddenly, IE works again.

I still prefer Firefox. But you might want to make sure you haven't accidentally installed some Yahoo (or related) crap toolbar recently.

Forum List

Back