Microsoft releasing emergency patch for perilous IE flaw

I suppose it's all relative. I used to be relatively happy with XP. I just thought that's the way computers are. In most cases that's true. But it's not how they HAVE to be.
This is true. Not everyone has the time or the inclination to tweak their computers. It is unfortunate that Windows doesn't work all that well out of the box, but needs to be nurtured and cared for. And Linux is not much better in that in its basic form it cannot do much, but needs a lot of addons that are more work than most users wish to do to have a useful product. Mac has definitely hit it right for those wanting a system out of the box that requires little user knowledge or work to use and still provides a useful and stable product.

TMac has definitely hit it right for those wanting a system out of the box that requires little user knowledge or work to use and still provides a useful and stable product.

That's definitely me.

Whether I'm surfing, creating presentations, updating my website or running a CAD program, the last thing I want is to spend time futzing around with settings. Some people are happy to troubleshoot issues until they have everything optimized. I'm just not into that. I want my computer to be like my TV - I turn it on, it works.

This is true. Not everyone has the time or the inclination to tweak their computers. It is unfortunate that Windows doesn't work all that well out of the box, but needs to be nurtured and cared for. And Linux is not much better in that in its basic form it cannot do much, but needs a lot of addons that are more work than most users wish to do to have a useful product. Mac has definitely hit it right for those wanting a system out of the box that requires little user knowledge or work to use and still provides a useful and stable product.

However, by utilizing and add-on architecture Linux has increased stability, again the singular kernel (all commands are processed by the kernel directly) a miss-step in an interrupt handler can cause the system to become unstable and even crash. However with using separate apps for each command the kernel remains more stable and the user rarely sees the effect. Instead the kernel is able to 'try again' or automatically update the command to respond correctly, at the very least it can respond with a more human error report. If MS had instead gone with advancing the 98/2K Windoze and improving it with the MS-DOS kernel it wouldn't have so many problems. But all we need are just a billion Linux/Unix converts and then it's all good.

However, by utilizing and add-on architecture Linux has increased stability, again the singular kernel (all commands are processed by the kernel directly) a miss-step in an interrupt handler can cause the system to become unstable and even crash. However with using separate apps for each command the kernel remains more stable and the user rarely sees the effect. Instead the kernel is able to 'try again' or automatically update the command to respond correctly, at the very least it can respond with a more human error report. If MS had instead gone with advancing the 98/2K Windoze and improving it with the MS-DOS kernel it wouldn't have so many problems. But all we need are just a billion Linux/Unix converts and then it's all good.
Why did you say all this?

That's definitely me.

Whether I'm surfing, creating presentations, updating my website or running a CAD program, the last thing I want is to spend time futzing around with settings. Some people are happy to troubleshoot issues until they have everything optimized. I'm just not into that. I want my computer to be like my TV - I turn it on, it works.

Then stick to Apple Macs. Soon they will be opening up their kernel to allow other *nix programs to operate, which means almost all the freeware and cool Open Source will run without emulators. I am hoping they add a Synaptic-like package to their core GUI so they can join the repositories of thousands of free apps as well. May even give me a reason to get a Mac laptop for on the go (they are the best laptops).

That's definitely me.

You and 99% of computer users. Maybe in a few years when physical computers at home and at the office become obsolete and there are only virtual computers over the internet we will all be able to order up exactly what we want. :beer:

I have a Mac. What is a "patch?" What is a "flaw?"

Macs have flaws to, Apple just tests their stuff more so that when released they don't need patches, but they do update the OS. Most of the updates are automated and you don't notice them, the only ones that aren't are when they update the entire OS (released as a new version). Patches are a Windoze thing, instead of using applets like Linux/Unix and Mac(*nix) OS they have to patch it into the OS when they make a small update to an applet. The others just download and install the new applet, but it's the same concept.

Forum List

Back