Microsoft Pushes Back On Tax Proposals

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Ballmer Says Tax Would Move Microsoft Jobs Offshore (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

Ballmer Says Tax Would Move Microsoft Jobs Offshore (Update3)

By Ryan J. Donmoyer

June 3 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Officer Steven Ballmer said the world’s largest software company would move some employees offshore if Congress enacts President Barack Obama’s plans to impose higher taxes on U.S. companies’ foreign profits.

“It makes U.S. jobs more expensive,” Ballmer said in an interview. “We’re better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the U.S. as opposed to keeping them inside the U.S.”

Obama on May 4 proposed outlawing or restricting about $190 billion in tax breaks for offshore companies over the next decade. Such business groups as the National Foreign Trade Council, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable have denounced the proposed overhaul.

U.S. tax rules let companies defer paying corporate rates as high as 35 percent on most types of foreign profits as long as that money remains invested overseas. Obama says he wants to end such incentives to keep foreign profits tax-deferred so that companies would invest them in the U.S.

Microsoft reported an overall effective tax rate of 26 percent for 2008 in its last annual report. “Our effective tax rates are less than the statutory tax rate due to foreign earnings taxed at lower rates,” the report said.

I guess Gates figures he'd like the $$$ going to those he figures he can help. It's not like he doesn't give enough away.

By Ryan J. Donmoyer

June 3 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Officer Steven Ballmer said the world’s largest software company would move some employees offshore if Congress enacts President Barack Obama’s plans to impose higher taxes on U.S. companies’ foreign profits.

“It makes U.S. jobs more expensive,” Ballmer said in an interview. “We’re better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the U.S. as opposed to keeping them inside the U.S.”

Obama on May 4 proposed outlawing or restricting about $190 billion in tax breaks for offshore companies over the next decade. Such business groups as the National Foreign Trade Council, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable have denounced the proposed overhaul.

U.S. tax rules let companies defer paying corporate rates as high as 35 percent on most types of foreign profits as long as that money remains invested overseas. Obama says he wants to end such incentives to keep foreign profits tax-deferred so that companies would invest them in the U.S.

Microsoft reported an overall effective tax rate of 26 percent for 2008 in its last annual report. “Our effective tax rates are less than the statutory tax rate due to foreign earnings taxed at lower rates,” the report said.

I guess Gates figures he'd like the $$$ going to those he figures he can help. It's not like he doesn't give enough away.

First, Bill turned control of the company to Steven a while ago, guess you didn't get the memo. Steven is an asshole, period, but this is one time I don't blame him. He's an asshole in other ways though and that's what's been causing the company to decline now. Bill was a genius in running a corporation, but he wanted to spend more time with his family and run the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation which donates millions to local charities and along with Apple Computers is responsible for several low income housing projects. He hasn't been actively running MS since before XP, though he has done a few unveilings since, those were just for publicity.

The company is failing as it is anyway, and won't last long even after shipping jobs over seas, it was doomed since people started wanting more customer support from them. Steve Jobs however is filling the gap, and Linux with Gnome is starting to over take Windoze (slow but steadily) and this could be the final push sending enough users to Linux to break free of MS's contracts once and for all. The only thing that has kept the company alive has been the contracts Bill worked out anyway, once they find ways to legally break those, MS is history.

By Ryan J. Donmoyer

First, Bill turned control of the company to Steven a while ago, guess you didn't get the memo. Steven is an asshole, period, but this is one time I don't blame him. He's an asshole in other ways though and that's what's been causing the company to decline now. Bill was a genius in running a corporation, but he wanted to spend more time with his family and run the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation which donates millions to local charities and along with Apple Computers is responsible for several low income housing projects. He hasn't been actively running MS since before XP, though he has done a few unveilings since, those were just for publicity.

The company is failing as it is anyway, and won't last long even after shipping jobs over seas, it was doomed since people started wanting more customer support from them. Steve Jobs however is filling the gap, and Linux with Gnome is starting to over take Windoze (slow but steadily) and this could be the final push sending enough users to Linux to break free of MS's contracts once and for all. The only thing that has kept the company alive has been the contracts Bill worked out anyway, once they find ways to legally break those, MS is history.

Got the memo, still sounds like when Panetta took off after Pelosi, wouldn't happen without Obama's knowledge. In any case, looks like Jobs is returning soon, Report: Steve Jobs Returning to Work This Month - PC World

Got the memo, still sounds like when Panetta took off after Pelosi, wouldn't happen without Obama's knowledge. In any case, looks like Jobs is returning soon, Report: Steve Jobs Returning to Work This Month - PC World

I like Steve J., even though he's stuck up he gives the consumers what they want and need, just charges a little more for it thanks to government regulations making competition impossible. But meh, Apple is a decent company. It's Steven B. that I can't stand, he's clueless. Though I am a bit bias here since he also changed the hiring practices of MS, when Bill was actively running the company he hired people based on merit, since when he started there were no fancy schools, and I had an offer a long time ago but turned it down (doing a hobby for work ... I just didn't want to make what I love work) ... then when I finally decide I may as well get paid for it, Steven was running things and now he requires massive schooling ... a bit late to change the rules of the fricken game. So yeah, Steven B. is just an asshole, there are other reasons but that's my primary one. Jobs though, he's pretty cool, I just don't want to work for Apple, don't know enough about their computers or their OS right now. But if he keeps going the route he promised I will, Linux kernel for Mac OS ... hell yeah! I could do that. :lol:

How very patriotic of him.

Is microsoft an unpatriotic democrat or republican corporation ???

This is a huge political issue right now, not just about Microsoft. Obama wants to double tax them. What do you expect they will do?

It's not about computers.

Is microsoft an unpatriotic democrat or republican corporation ???

Bill is a conservative Democrat, don't know which one Steven B is though, but someone rumored that he's a Republican.

Forum List

Back