Microsoft Patched My XP!

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
Save your dire warnings and snarks about using XP...it's still the finest OS MS has ever come up with and still used by 7% of the world. The news here is that Gates knows better than to abandon us completely. There are several defensive measures we've adopted to ensure safe surfing and we still get support using the Firefox browser. I'm a little ticked at FF for cutting off my video access on Fox but I can go to YouTube and view them a few hours later. My MLB.com games come in high-def (they backed off requiring 8 or newer when we threatened a revolt). That whole issue is about Adobe Flash....FF claims they crash the browser and have slapped a containment box around it that's a real system hog. But FF still blocks certain sites which is hell of a lot more than IE ever did. If you have an older system and are afraid of being hit by this new ransomware, go here, and find your *patch under "further resources" toward the bottom of the page. It's safe.
yo2.gif

Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks

*Use the first set...the second set wasn't correct for my machine.

Last edited:
  • Banned
FF support for XP is running out.

Support was supposed to end in April but I just got a new update on Friday.
They are currently transforming the FF completely. By November, you can be lucky if it runs at all.

Got a link to that? I've been amused by the dire warnings we'll be marooned over the last few years that never seem to happen. Proof of that is MS patching us yesterday....we are still too strong to be fucked with.

They are currently transforming the FF completely. By November, you can be lucky if it runs at all.

Got a link to that? I've been amused by the dire warnings we'll be marooned over the last few years that never seem to happen. Proof of that is MS patching us yesterday....we are still too strong to be fucked with.
Firefox 52 is the last one to support XP. Newer versions will only receive security updates on XP but they will work. What will happen with FF 57, which will bring a new UI (already available) and disable the old addons, I don´t know. I will soon go back to Firefox, I guess.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Firefox 52 is the last one to support XP. Newer versions will only receive security updates on XP but they will work. What will happen with FF 57, which will bring a new UI (already available) and siable the old addons, I don´t know. I will soon go back to Firefox, I guess.

That's my understanding also. I have no interest in the bells and whistles they put in the newer versions, only the security updates. It's kind of funny when they block a site...the screen jumps up and down like somebody is beating on the door but it holds.
lol.gif

Since I've been using Mozilla, and other defense measures, all the security issues I had with IE have disappeared. I've only had one successful virus hit and got rid of it by restoring to a previous day. My only issue is SP3 will only recognize 3.5gb of RAM while I have 4 1gb sticks in the slots. I paid a whopping $12 for the one shipped from Amazon so I can't be too disappointed. I have a Dell laptop with W7Pro on it and all I like about 7 are the similarities to XP.

Firefox 52 is the last one to support XP. Newer versions will only receive security updates on XP but they will work. What will happen with FF 57, which will bring a new UI (already available) and siable the old addons, I don´t know. I will soon go back to Firefox, I guess.

That's my understanding also. I have no interest in the bells and whistles they put in the newer versions, only the security updates. It's kind of funny when they block a site...the screen jumps up and down like somebody is beating on the door but it holds.
lol.gif

Since I've been using Mozilla, and other defense measures, all the security issues I had with IE have disappeared. I've only had one successful virus hit and got rid of it by restoring to a previous day. My only issue is SP3 will only recognize 3.5gb of RAM while I have 4 1gb sticks in the slots. I paid a whopping $12 for the one shipped from Amazon so I can't be too disappointed. I have a Dell laptop with W7Pro on it and all I like about 7 are the similarities to XP.
32 Bit Operating Systems only support 4 GB of Ram, including graphics memory. There is a 64 Bit XP around but it is not well supported regarding drivers and there is no SP3. Although the 2003/XP x64 SP2 includes the normal XP´s SP3 features, it may be recognized as SP2. So, for example, even older versions of Chrome won´t run as they demand SP3. Firefox demands SP2. Maybe it is time for a major update of your computer or even a replacement.

• Banned
BTW, a major favor you can do for your desktop is to blow the dust out of it twice a year. If you don't have an air-compressor, to to Home Depot and buy a small one....they come in handy for your car and bike tires, clean a surface after sanding for paint, or use the accessories to cut, staple, and drill things. My Dell Dimension E521 has a huge air-intake on the front for good cooling and that's the key to prevent all manner of problems. I take off the side-case and hit it with a couple blasts of air....the dust off the Sonoran Desert can build up pretty fast. With a couple blasts of air I can raise a nice little cloud from inside the box. Your friend, and your computer is your friend, will thank you.

Maybe it is time for a major update of your computer or even a replacement.

Not happening.
No new one? You could keep the old one.

Already told you I got a W7 Pro laptop.
rolleyes.gif

I bought this box in 2008, got SP3 in 2010 and have never looked back. Hell, I'd have stuck with W98 if any AV company would have supported it. Always liked seeing a new email notice pop up down in the lower right hand corner when it came in. No version since then had that feature....why not?

Maybe it is time for a major update of your computer or even a replacement.

Not happening.
No new one? You could keep the old one.

Already told you I got a W7 Pro laptop.
rolleyes.gif

I bought this box in 2008, got SP3 in 2010 and have never looked back. Hell, I'd have stuck with W98 if any AV company would have supported it. Always liked seeing a new email notice pop up down in the lower right hand corner when it came in. No version since then had that feature....why not?
98 did that? Had no Internet back then. All I know is 98 was kind of obsessed with Internet. I remember that Internet desktop displaying web contents and that sidebar with Spiegel Online ect.

98 did that? .

Yep. That was back in 2002 when I had MSN dial-up for $20 a month....a phone call coming in would knock me offline but I didn't care. The whole world (other than video....couldn't play videos with an hour-wait to buffer) had opened up for me so little problems didn't bother me. Back then you could talk to a tech in Redmond to fix things. I took community college lab sessions with mentors to learn the ropes....even today, I wonder how some people get full-use of their box without knowing what "HTTP" stands for. :uhoh3:

98 did that? .

Yep. That was back in 2002 when I had MSN dial-up for $20 a month....a phone call coming in would knock me offline but I didn't care. The whole world (other than video....couldn't play videos with an hour-wait to buffer) had opened up for me so little problems didn't bother me. Back then you could talk to a tech in Redmond to fix things. I took community college lab sessions with mentors to learn the ropes....even today, I wonder how some people get full-use of their box without knowing what "HTTP" stands for. :uhoh3:
When I was an AOL costumer, I realized that AOL offered hundreds of free hours in the US and here 20. At least the 56k were stable compared to the mobile crap today. When they banned me in their AOL chat I couldn´t get online anymore and I switched to Telekom. AOL sent me a lot of stuff with my name on the box and what not all but it was too late.

When I was an AOL costumer, I realized that AOL offered hundreds of free hours in the US and here 20. At least the 56k were stable compared to the mobile crap today. When they banned me in their AOL chat I couldn´t get online anymore and I switched to Telekom. AOL sent me a lot of stuff with my name on the box and what not all but it was too late.

You want to talk about "mobile crap"? I use an Android for GPS on the streets here in Phoenix and nothing else. I used to sell 2 GIG alarm systems with which your smart phone could control the thermostat, lamps, and door locks in your house with the 2 GIG app. Guess how many of those were hacked leaving their homes wide-open to intrusion. I got phone calls threatening my life until I had to block anonymous numbers and left the company. I have no desire to walk into utility poles or get run over by a bus staring at some little screen. Everybody knows the horrors of texting while behind the wheel. I have no use for any of that.....when I use a phone it's to talk to somebody, not take their picture.

Forum List

Back